C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Knocking after fitting 45mm lowering springs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2019 | 04:40 PM

W204 c220 coupe
Knocking after fitting 45mm lowering springs

Hi all,

I recently lowered my w204 sport coupe, I’ve fitted apex -45mm lowering springs and it sits great. Anyway now straight after installation I’m getting a knocking from the front end. Mainly from the front left wheel, but occasionally from the right front.
It’s knocking when you hit a lump/bump in the road, like a hollow knock, it even sounds like the coils on the springs are hitting each other (the coils are very close together when the cars on the floor)
I’ve had them off and refitted, Ive had the drop links off to eliminate them. It’s really starting to annoy me, to the point of removing them.

Has anyone else suffered the same?

Any advice is appreciated.

JJ
Old 04-03-2024 | 06:59 AM

W204 c220 cdi
I’m getting this now too, just passed mot but still clonking

Originally Posted by JayJay1374
Hi all,

I recently lowered my w204 sport coupe, I’ve fitted apex -45mm lowering springs and it sits great. Anyway now straight after installation I’m getting a knocking from the front end. Mainly from the front left wheel, but occasionally from the right front.
It’s knocking when you hit a lump/bump in the road, like a hollow knock, it even sounds like the coils on the springs are hitting each other (the coils are very close together when the cars on the floor)
I’ve had them off and refitted, Ive had the drop links off to eliminate them. It’s really starting to annoy me, to the point of removing them.

JJ
Was it the springs causing this? I have same issue and it’s just passed it’s not today

Old 04-03-2024 | 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 2010 C300 4matic Sport M272
If the coils are already close together I can see them bottoming out easily. if the springs are bottoming out im thinking besides hearing a knocking noise you would feel it hitting.

Did you just swap out the springs and use the original struts?

The Apex website says "Different cars can be lowered by different amount, but a general rule is that most vehicles can be lowered 30-40mm without any issues."

Old 04-04-2024 | 06:42 AM

W204 c220 cdi
Originally Posted by TimC300
If the coils are already close together I can see them bottoming out easily. if the springs are bottoming out im thinking besides hearing a knocking noise you would feel it hitting.

Did you just swap out the springs and use the original struts?

The Apex website says "Different cars can be lowered by different amount, but a general rule is that most vehicles can be lowered 30-40mm without any issues."
this is my second set of same springs , first set in previous c class were great and not a problem, this set seems to sit a lot lower though.. I’ll put standard springs back in see how that goes , and inspect these for contact damage on paint
thanks
Old 04-04-2024 | 10:11 AM

Mercedes w204 4matic sport
Originally Posted by JayJay1374
Hi all,

JJ
most likely, you didn’t seat the spring correctly.