C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

ESL and Emulators

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 354 Likes on 263 Posts
2016 S550, 2015 Honda Civic Hybrid
ESL and Emulators

Been re-reading the many posts about ESL challenges and trying to better understand the emulator solution. Has anyone here actually done an emulator, wasn't sure in looking through all the posts ...

What I think I understand about this is ...
  • The ESL responds to commands from some other system or systems to extend or retract a locking bolt. To communicate with the car and other systems it has to be programmed to the car and/or key
  • When you install an emulator, you forego the anti-theft benefits of locking the steering column. The emulator reports back to the car and sister systems that it has locked or unlocked as ordered, but of course no locking/unlocking actually takes place. So one loses that one element of theft protection .... but all the others (locked doors, unable to start engine without the key, etc.) would still be in place and functioning
  • When a person adds an emulator all that's required physically is that the ESL be in the unlocked position and a single wiring connector is moved from the ESL to the emulator. So the ESL device can either remain in place (unlocked) or be thrown in the dumpster as the owner prefers
  • Someone has to program the emulator to communicate with the car's electronics, recognize the key, etc. It wasn't clear to me reading the various web advertisements for these things who is actually supposed to do this. One imagines an MBZ dealer might decline for fear of violating the anti-theft system. Would an independent shop do it? Can an owner do it without an EE from MIT?

Last edited by Tom in Austin; 01-27-2020 at 01:17 PM.