C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Number Pad Stops Working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2020 | 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
Number Pad Stops Working

Hello everyone,

I am wondering if some of you share the same problem I have where the COMAND number pad/buttons stop working sometimes. Pressing the buttons does nothing in any of the modes I use (Radio, iPod, SD Card, etc.).

Turning OFF and ON COMAND does not solve the problem. Holding the power button until the system resets does nothing neither. The problem eventually goes away when I turn OFF the car and then use it again.

From my research, I found one similar encounter here with a C63 but without a solution neither: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...sn-t-work.html

Could this be fixed with a software/firmware update of the unit? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 02-07-2020 | 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
BUMP
Old 02-13-2020 | 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
BUMP
Old 02-13-2020 | 09:28 PM

2009 C300
My volume knob Would stop working and I could only change the setting with steering wheel controls. What I ended up doing was taking the knob off and blowing air into the area it rest it. Hasn’t stopped working since. Not sure if this could help you in some way. It’s free and worth a shot.
Old 02-14-2020 | 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
Originally Posted by Mike92
My volume knob Would stop working and I could only change the setting with steering wheel controls. What I ended up doing was taking the knob off and blowing air into the area it rest it. Hasn’t stopped working since. Not sure if this could help you in some way. It’s free and worth a shot.
Thank you for replying and for sharing your experience, but I don't think it's the case at all because either all the buttons/numbers stop or work. It's not selective like for one button or two. Very intermittent. I think I am going to take the car to an indy and see if the COMAND module has any firmware/software update that can fix this.
Old 02-29-2020 | 02:16 PM

2010 C300 4matic
Originally Posted by xsever
I am wondering if some of you share the same problem I have where the COMAND number pad/buttons stop working sometimes. Pressing the buttons does nothing in any of the modes I use (Radio, iPod, SD Card, etc.).

Turning OFF and ON COMAND does not solve the problem. Holding the power button until the system resets does nothing neither. The problem eventually goes away when I turn OFF the car and then use it again.
Sub’d for possible answer as well.
Last night a similar thing happened where the middle and right rows of numbers emulated the ‘2’ or ‘5’.. meaning if I pressed the 9 it would do the same thing as if you pressed the 2.. I’m talking radio presets here. The only buttons that worked correctly were the 1,4 and 7..(I never used the *)
But this morning all the numbers worked fine. 🤔
I can still achieve the desired results when using the COMAND wheel so I’m not too concerned, unless more things start acting weird as well.
Old 03-01-2020 | 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
Originally Posted by Stuntman Mike
Sub’d for possible answer as well.
Last night a similar thing happened where the middle and right rows of numbers emulated the ‘2’ or ‘5’.. meaning if I pressed the 9 it would do the same thing as if you pressed the 2.. I’m talking radio presets here. The only buttons that worked correctly were the 1,4 and 7..(I never used the *)
But this morning all the numbers worked fine. 🤔
I can still achieve the desired results when using the COMAND wheel so I’m not too concerned, unless more things start acting weird as well.
I've had that happen too but it's not as frequent as when the whole pad stops working entirely.
I'm planning on asking my mechanic to do a software update for the control unit next time I take the car for an oil change.
I might also ask him to update to the 2013-2014 COMAND user interface with black and red.