C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

W204 AUX issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C Class
W204 AUX issues

Hi all, I have a 2011 C Class . Recently I've been having issues with my cars audio when using ipod connection and AUX.

Randomly the sound will drop dramatically on the drivers side (rhd) if I put the radio on it plays through both sides fine. Put it back to ipod or AUX and the issue comes back. The only way it starts playing correctly is when the car is left over night.

I've tried different devices and that's made no difference... anyone got any ideas on what it could be? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
Mine's been doing this for a while, low volume on the driver's side lhd. The fault is in the automatic volume control section which raises and lowers the volume as one drives faster and slower.

A work-around is to raise the volume with the steering wheel button. After a few clicks louder the volume equalizes. Then one can adjust the volume to the desired loudness. The automatic volume functions normally. Hope this trick successfully fixes (temporarily) yours.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:19 AM

Mercedes C Class
Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill
Mine's been doing this for a while, low volume on the driver's side lhd. The fault is in the automatic volume control section which raises and lowers the volume as one drives faster and slower.

A work-around is to raise the volume with the steering wheel button. After a few clicks louder the volume equalizes. Then one can adjust the volume to the desired loudness. The automatic volume functions normally. Hope this trick successfully fixes (temporarily) yours.
Is there a way we can disable the automatic volume control? Or an actual fix to it, I'm out today so I'll wait till it fails and see if your temp fix works. Thanks
Old 03-05-2020, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
I know of no way to disable it, maybe the Engineering Menu? As a comment, it took MB engineers a lot of effort to integrate the speedometer information into the sound system's digital volume control, and write the software to adjust the volume depending on the velocity. Myself, the first time I rolled into a toll booth 10 years ago, I was surprised and amazed by the automatic volume reduction. Consider it a safety feature. Making a few clicks of the steering wheel buttons every now and then is a small price to pay for the huge convenience of this fabulous feature, imho. Best of success!
Old 03-05-2020, 12:39 PM

Mercedes C Class
Unfortunately I don't think my issue is the same as yours as I tried turning the volume up to resolve it but it didn't work....
Old 03-05-2020, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
Perhaps the high frequency driver in the window frame is defective? A way to check is to use a sound meter app and compare the woofers of both front doors. Put the response to Slow to make the measurement more accurate. If there is a difference of more than 3 dB then it's a headunit issue.
BTW mine only corrects the issue while driving, not standing stopped.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:12 PM

Mercedes C Class
Should I test it when it is in a 'working' state? I know when its dropped the drivers side you're looking at a 20-30dB (minimum) difference.

I was going to buy the below system but according to the supplier due to my car only having navigation on the dash it isn't compatible due to canbus encryption etc.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264051927527

If I was to buy just a 10" screen upgrade like a lot of people do then I believe my issue would still be there so I'm trying to find something I can upgrade my system to but keep functionality of the all the cars controls.