C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Air Loss from Refurbished Wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2020 | 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 S550, 2015 Honda Civic Hybrid
Air Loss from Refurbished Wheel

Last year I did and tire and wheel change using three very nice used wheels and one 'refurbished' wheel. For some unknown reason the refurbished wheel leaked air and I got in the habit of adding 3-4 lbs a week to silence the 'Check Tire Pressure' dash indicator. Recently, I am glad to say, it has cured itself and no longer loses air ... thank goodness, because adding air all the time was becoming a real nuisance.

I had a similar experience on my Porsche years ago. I had all four of its wheels refurbished and the left rear leaked air right away. On that car, it was so bad I took the wheel to a local garage where they put a whole bunch of black goo on the bead (on the inside of the tire, so as ugly as it looked, it wasn't visible). That fixed the problem on that car, but left me wondering, is the finish in the bead area of a refurbished wheel sometimes not even enough to make a good seal against the tire? And in the case of my C, is it possible for the tire rubber to move around a little against the wheel edge so that it finally seals up?

Just curious if anyone else has had this experience ...

Last edited by Tom in Austin; 11-10-2020 at 07:59 PM.