C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C180 2013 Weirdest malfunction(help!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180 2013
C180 2013 Weirdest malfunction(help!)

Hi i have been getting a malfunction, or rather multiple that happen at the same time for about a year, i took the car to multiple mechanics and each stated that its really weird.
basically what happens when i start the car and drive for no less than 2 minutes, multiple malfunctions happen:
-The interior and exterior lights flicker
-The screen (the one with radio aux phone...) turns off then on
-the steering wheel becomes stiff
-i get a warning saying release parking brake even though its off
-all door locks suddenly open then close
-Abs esp malfunction saying unknown error check manual
-2 malfunctions saying left side and right side malfunction (airbags)
And thats about it, all happening in less than a minute, then i would drive for 3 hours nothing happens, it only happens when i start the car and drive for first 2 minutes. Sometimes it happens even after i drive for some time and turn off the car then turn on again.
also there is a sound that i hear during all these malfunctions it comes from like the fuse box direction like something poped or released idk.
i have no idea why all this happens, sometimes it isnt serious its just the screen that turns on and off and lights, and sometimes very serious.
Could it be a faulty auxilliary battery or a clogged air filter (read it might be the case and because the filter shakes a lot when i start the car and the ECU is right next to it, the ECU might be affected by the shaking and it goes to normal when i drive and shaking stops).
bump (posted before but no one replied) + i have contacted a mechanic (lockdown so no visiting) who says it might be the voltage regulator, not sure if its true since again this only happens at the start specifically when the car first shifts from 1st to 2nd .
Old 01-29-2021, 09:11 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2011 C300 4MATIC SPORT
Could be issue with your ignition. Do you carry a lot of keys? Even if not, may still be issue with ignition. Your ignition is the gatekeeper of calling for juice, as well as how it is utilized depending on what position your key/fob is in.
The following users liked this post:
chahoud t (01-30-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 06:44 AM

C180 2013
You mean having multiple keys for the car or if i have the key tied to a key ring with multiple others like house keys? Either way how is it possible that this causes such malfunction? Btw i have been using the engineering mode screen, when the malfunctions happen the HU battery supply reaches 15.5V and the battery drops to 12V. Again this happens always when the car shifts from 1st to 2nd the first time(when i start the car).
Old 01-30-2021, 10:21 AM

2011 C300 4MATIC SPORT
Having too many keys on your fob/ring, putting extra weight on the ignition. The weight of the keys along with swinging while driving can cause the various contacts within the ignition to rub too much/too often, causing the contact material to wear off. If you have the means to watch real time, try wiggling the ignition while watching the display to see if the voltage varies.

Otherwise, you could be looking at regular issues: Failing battery. Failing alternator. Poor/corroded battery cable.
chahoud t (01-30-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 10:50 AM

C180 2013
Ah i understand, but if that was the case shouldnt it happen more than once not just at start? I mean the roads arent that great so the keyring will be shaking frequently (yes i have my car key connected to like 3 more keys and a heavy key ring).
it may be the voltage regulator malfunctioning, cutting off power to steering wheel, lights, abs and screen. For the release parking brake error idk maybe due to the abs. Or the opposite, the regulator is working and thats what it is supposed to do, so the error here is in the dynamo or auxillary battery. In any case, its definitely either battery or voltage regulator.
Old 01-30-2021, 05:37 PM

2011 C300 4MATIC SPORT
If could... If there is an issue with your ignition not quickly/fully/properly releasing from Start back to On. Does yours have the fob you place into the dash and turn, or just push a button? Either way, when you either turn or push, does it seem like the return action is immediate and smooth?
chahoud t (01-30-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 05:47 PM

C180 2013
Its normal i put the key in and turn, id say extremely smooth. My car has been driven for 30000km but i had it for 7 years, first 4 i couldnt drive it though. Anyways i have a spare key i will use later, it ll be just the car key and nothing else tied to it. However i dont think its the case, i think its the voltage regulator and worst case scenario the battery. Not that bad considering at first i thought it was the ECU or the central gateway control module.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C180
Originally Posted by chahoud t
Hi i have been getting a malfunction, or rather multiple that happen at the same time for about a year, i took the car to multiple mechanics and each stated that its really weird.
basically what happens when i start the car and drive for no less than 2 minutes, multiple malfunctions happen:
-The interior and exterior lights flicker
-The screen (the one with radio aux phone...) turns off then on
-the steering wheel becomes stiff
-i get a warning saying release parking brake even though its off
-all door locks suddenly open then close
-Abs esp malfunction saying unknown error check manual
-2 malfunctions saying left side and right side malfunction (airbags)
And thats about it, all happening in less than a minute, then i would drive for 3 hours nothing happens, it only happens when i start the car and drive for first 2 minutes. Sometimes it happens even after i drive for some time and turn off the car then turn on again.
also there is a sound that i hear during all these malfunctions it comes from like the fuse box direction like something poped or released idk.
i have no idea why all this happens, sometimes it isnt serious its just the screen that turns on and off and lights, and sometimes very serious.
Could it be a faulty auxilliary battery or a clogged air filter (read it might be the case and because the filter shakes a lot when i start the car and the ECU is right next to it, the ECU might be affected by the shaking and it goes to normal when i drive and shaking stops).
bump (posted before but no one replied) + i have contacted a mechanic (lockdown so no visiting) who says it might be the voltage regulator, not sure if its true since again this only happens at the start specifically when the car first shifts from 1st to 2nd .
I have the exact same issue with my 2012 w204 c180 so weird. My bro is a mechanic and he said he'll plug it in for me. I'll keep you posted as to how I get on.
Old 09-24-2021, 12:01 AM

W204 c180
same issue, same car, same year ... any solve ?
Old 09-26-2021, 01:10 AM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2008 C350-Sport-AMG-Active Agility Pack + B170 2008+Mitsibishi+Mazda
This sounds electrical showing with road vibrations, I would look for bad connections, or place of connection that got water.
Old 09-26-2021, 03:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C180
Hi Moto_Guzzi,

The problem has been fixed. It was a faulty auxiliary battery.

Thanks