C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Valve Body Module? Or Something Else?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 08:21 PM

Location: Oneonta, New York, United States of America, North America, Planet Earth, Solar System, Orion Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 Mercedes-Benz C300 Luxury 4MATIC
Valve Body Module? Or Something Else?

Long story, so I really hope y’all stick with me.
I live in upstate NY, rust belt, but I’ve always done my best to keep my car clean. It only has about 100,000 on it, which seems low for these vehicles from where I’m seeing others run to. At the beginning of winter, my Check Engine Light came on for something about coolant temperature out of range. The thermostat was sticking open and the car wasn’t getting super warm. I didn’t drive it much in the winter anyway, so I just let it go until February when my inspection was up. Took it to my local shop, they took a month to get me in, but upon repair, I finally picked it up and started to head home. Halfway home, enjoying having it back, I cranked the radio, (and I do have subs & an amp in my car), and all of a sudden my dash lit up “BRAKE - ABS & ESC Currently Unavailable - See Operator’s Manual”
I immediately had it towed back to the shop, and after another month of waiting, this is the RO they’re giving me:

“Intermitting output speed sensor not reading correctly causing limp home issues.
Control unit above the valve body in transmission needs reaplacing.
Front RH ABS Sensor reading erratic, but seized on and could cause tone ring issues on axle upon removal due to corrossion.
tranny pan is rusted and needs replacing”

Does anyone here have any recommendations? The shop is saying that only Mercedes can do the work, because it has to be programmed by a dealer, and I fear this is going to cost more than the car is worth, but I still owe another year on it and didn’t want to come out paid off with basically no equity either, so I’d prefer to fix it. Any help is appreciated.

Old 03-26-2021, 10:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,948 Likes on 3,106 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Take it to another shop for an opinion. It doesn't sound right that only Mercedes can do the work. What they are telling you is that they (the shop you took it to) don't want to do the work.

Transmission pan replacement is common and not rocket science but moderately intensive.

Speed sensor replacement should be straightforward but it sounds like you have alot of corrosion. Shops/dealers are used to this and have the tools and techniques to address.

Get another opinion from a shop experienced with Mercedes. If you DIY, these jobs are posted on this site, the other benz site and YouTube. Plus if you DIY you need WIS which is on ebay.
Old 03-27-2021, 07:27 AM

Location: Oneonta, New York, United States of America, North America, Planet Earth, Solar System, Orion Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
Originally Posted by chassis
Take it to another shop for an opinion. It doesn't sound right that only Mercedes can do the work. What they are telling you is that they (the shop you took it to) don't want to do the work.

Transmission pan replacement is common and not rocket science but moderately intensive.

Speed sensor replacement should be straightforward but it sounds like you have alot of corrosion. Shops/dealers are used to this and have the tools and techniques to address.

Get another opinion from a shop experienced with Mercedes. If you DIY, these jobs are posted on this site, the other benz site and YouTube. Plus if you DIY you need WIS which is on ebay.
The part they’re saying they can’t do is the valve body module replacement/programming in the transmission, but that’s also a huge job so I really want to make sure it actually needs that before I dive down that rabbit hole.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (03-27-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 11:37 AM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Get another opinion from a shop that has years of experience with Mercedes.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by chassis
Get another opinion from a shop that has years of experience with Mercedes.
Unfortunately, I don’t know of any in Central NY other than Keeler Mercedes in Albany.
Old 03-27-2021, 12:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Google Maps came up with this in the Albany area:

http://www.mikesmercedes.com/about.html
https://europeanrepairsny.com/german-auto-repair
https://www.bulautosales.com/index.htm
Old 03-27-2021, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 144 Likes on 134 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
Originally Posted by oneyozfest182
Long story, so I really hope y’all stick with me.
I live in upstate NY, rust belt, but I’ve always done my best to keep my car clean. It only has about 100,000 on it, which seems low for these vehicles from where I’m seeing others run to. At the beginning of winter, my Check Engine Light came on for something about coolant temperature out of range. The thermostat was sticking open and the car wasn’t getting super warm. I didn’t drive it much in the winter anyway, so I just let it go until February when my inspection was up. Took it to my local shop, they took a month to get me in, but upon repair, I finally picked it up and started to head home. Halfway home, enjoying having it back, I cranked the radio, (and I do have subs & an amp in my car), and all of a sudden my dash lit up “BRAKE - ABS & ESC Currently Unavailable - See Operator’s Manual”
I immediately had it towed back to the shop, and after another month of waiting, this is the RO they’re giving me:

“Intermitting output speed sensor not reading correctly causing limp home issues.
Control unit above the valve body in transmission needs reaplacing.
Front RH ABS Sensor reading erratic, but seized on and could cause tone ring issues on axle upon removal due to corrossion.
tranny pan is rusted and needs replacing”

Does anyone here have any recommendations? The shop is saying that only Mercedes can do the work, because it has to be programmed by a dealer, and I fear this is going to cost more than the car is worth, but I still owe another year on it and didn’t want to come out paid off with basically no equity either, so I’d prefer to fix it. Any help is appreciated.
Honestly, this sounds more like a communication error due to low voltage. For all these things to light up at the same time, it's most likely a weak battery and/or alternator. Have those checked before and then clear the codes and then try to drive it and see. As for the rusted pan, I'd definitely replace it. When was the last time and mileage where the transmission fluid and filter were changed?
Old 03-27-2021, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by xsever
Honestly, this sounds more like a communication error due to low voltage. For all these things to light up at the same time, it's most likely a weak battery and/or alternator. Have those checked before and then clear the codes and then try to drive it and see. As for the rusted pan, I'd definitely replace it. When was the last time and mileage where the transmission fluid and filter were changed?
As far as I know, it never was by the previous owner, and by the time I owned it, the shop said it’s best to not because the transmission would likely get used to the old fluid and changing it that late could cause more problems.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:09 PM

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
W204 C200, BMW E30 M3, 1980Gt Mini, Toyota Corona, KTM 200 EXC.
You could either work on your car or find a new shop, I mean 1 month wait to book it in and 1 month after the tow back for a diagnosis what the heck is that all about.

Now I suggest charge up the battery as sometimes fault codes pop up when condition of the battery is low, I have had similar issue after driving 200km dash warning came on could find no real reason why and reset upon turning off and never reappeared.

Dont worry about the auto trans it is not related to the messages you seen on the dash, just have it serviced like normal when it is due by milage.
If you can leave your car at the garage for two months I am sure you could book it in at a dealers for diagnosis and drive there and back in that time.

“Intermitting output speed sensor not reading correctly causing limp home issues. Okay please have rechecked and along with date or problem see if it is same date you have dash fault code if not ignore it.
Control unit above the valve body in transmission needs reaplacing.----- Why?
Front RH ABS Sensor reading erratic, but seized on and could cause tone ring issues on axle upon removal due to corrosion. ----Not sure what they mean tone ring issues, either it is bring up a fault code on Xentry or it is not I suspect quick guess on that one.
tranny pan is rusted and needs replacing”--- Replace later when due for trans service, who gives a stuff about some cosmetic corrosion.

Last edited by NZ-Merc; 03-28-2021 at 04:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Moto_Guzzi (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 03:10 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2008 C350-Sport-AMG-Active Agility Pack + B170 2008+Mitsibishi+Mazda
As far as battery is concerned I was told to put the correct battery in it with enough capacity, expensive it was.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:25 PM

I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes with the key on, then left it for a little over two days unhooked. Came back, connected the battery, and started it back up. All of the same lights remained on the dash board. “ABS and ESC Currently Unavailable”

Sounds like its the conductor plate in the transmission.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:38 PM

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
W204 C200, BMW E30 M3, 1980Gt Mini, Toyota Corona, KTM 200 EXC.
Anti Brake Skid and Electronic Stability control sounds more like brake issue, does not sound like it is gearbox related I could be wrong.
Since it is a hard fault and does not go away is not a bad thing and should be able to have fault code easily read and diagnosed.

Wiring and sensors at the front struts would be most likely susceptible to damage so that is where I think you might end up.
Do you have an authorised Mercedes dealer you could ring for to see if they have had this issue before and what was the fix.
Old 03-30-2021, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 144 Likes on 134 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
Originally Posted by oneyozfest182
I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes with the key on, then left it for a little over two days unhooked. Came back, connected the battery, and started it back up. All of the same lights remained on the dash board. “ABS and ESC Currently Unavailable”

Sounds like its the conductor plate in the transmission.
These codes will not reset with a battery disconnect. They remain saved in memory until they are cleared with a professional diagnostic tool like MB Xentry.