C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Left side CV Axle + Intermediate shaft

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 c300 sport 4matic
Angry Left side CV Axle + Intermediate shaft

Anyone have the pleasure of doing this job?

New intermediate shaft and snap ring installed - I could NOT get the old CV axle boot separated from the intermediate shaft... which may be a clue... so i just bought a new intermediate shaft, however....

The CV shaft slides down the splines of the intermediate shaft all but 1/2" WITHOUT the locking ring installed but the real problem is that I cannot seem to get it started when the locking ring that sits on the intermediate shaft is in place.

I've put the bolt on the end of the CV shaft where it goes into the wheel hub and smacked on it with a 5lbs sledge but it didn't advance. It did manage to get it stuck on there enough that had to use a slide hammer to get the axle back off... this whole thing feels like it's being unnecessarily difficult.

Any advice beyond just buying a couple more snap rings and seeing if i can find one that doesn't fight me so much?
Old 05-25-2021, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 c300 sport 4matic
Turns out the first CV axle I purchased was incorrect for some reason, maybe because it wasn't AWD (4Matic). Donno. Received a different one yesterday, slides on perfectly.
Now to put it all back together.