C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Horrific grinding/vibration and judder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C350 W204
Horrific grinding/vibration and judder

Hello,

I have a Mercedes C350 automatic 4matic 2010 with approx 190miles/295km on the clock. The car has an awful grinding vibration that seems to come from the rear right of the car and it almost always happens after hard motorway acceleration or from going uphills but always after motor driving it always happens. Once it starts it doesnt stop unless i press really gently on the throttle without going uphill. Its actually ruining the drive of a lovely car. I´d also like to mention that on the underneath of the car there are other vibrations and judders from what seems to me to be from the 4 wheel drive system. Also when braking heavy the car judders quite abit. Sometimes it seems as if something were loose underneath the car. Going back to that grinding vibration it has, if i press the throttle down and then take my foot off straight away, the grinding vibration occurs without any speed changes/gear changes. When giving it hard throttle on the motorway, the grinding/vibration lasts for about a good 3 long seconds then suddenly stops then the car drives freely again as if the vibration levels itself out and finds its balance. The best way to describe the vibration/grinding would be somewhat similar to when a car drives to far over towards the central reservation and when it touches the white line with them bumps in it sends a vibration through the car to alert the driver. Its very similiar on acceleration/just with a touch of the throttle and coming from the rear. I have also noticed that when the vibration occurs from casual motorway driving, the revolutions of the engine rise about 250 rpm more then come back down again after the vibration stops.

Any help would on the matter will be much apprechiated.

Many thanks.
Old 12-15-2021, 06:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,990 Likes on 3,137 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Inspect the brakes.

Inspect the halfshafts and propshaft.

Report back with photos and descriptions.
Old 12-15-2021, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C350 W204
About an hour ago i took the car to a place where they put the car up on a ramp to inspect the underneath, they said that the rear of the car seems fine, all the bushes seem fine too and that the only thing they saw was the front drivers side halfshaft had excessive play and had no grease in it. There was also grease splashes around that area where the rotation had sprayed it everywhere. The guy said it was in bad condition and would need replacing. Do you reckon a bad front driverside halfshaft would affect the whole 4x4 system and cause vibration through it? It does sort of make sense when thinking about it because if i never felt the rear of the underside of the car vibrate then i probablt would have said that its a front halfshaft problem more so if the car were to be front wheel drive.
Old 12-15-2021, 12:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,990 Likes on 3,137 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by ReeceJ
About an hour ago i took the car to a place where they put the car up on a ramp to inspect the underneath, they said that the rear of the car seems fine, all the bushes seem fine too and that the only thing they saw was the front drivers side halfshaft had excessive play and had no grease in it. There was also grease splashes around that area where the rotation had sprayed it everywhere. The guy said it was in bad condition and would need replacing. Do you reckon a bad front driverside halfshaft would affect the whole 4x4 system and cause vibration through it? It does sort of make sense when thinking about it because if i never felt the rear of the underside of the car vibrate then i probablt would have said that its a front halfshaft problem more so if the car were to be front wheel drive.
Possible. Either pay them for the work they recommend or do more diagnostic investigation yourself to come up with a different idea. The vehicle needs to be on a lift or you need to crawl underneath it and see what’s going on.