C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

HELP - Crooked steering wheel after ESL repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2022 | 07:18 PM

95 E320 Wagon RWD
HELP - Crooked steering wheel after ESL repair

2010 C300:

I had to drill out a failed ESL which requires steering column removal. I removed the column at the bottom from the larger splined section buried back within the boot at the firewall. I marked the exterior boot and exposed shaft as best I could and put everything back with those marks aligned (or so I thought). But driving straight down the road the steering wheel sits at about 1:30 / 2 o'clockish. But here is the kicker... this is a friends car and up until this point (at completion of the repair), I had never driven it. So I have not idea if the steering wheel was clocked like that before his ESL failed or not. If I am off just one spline (and if I understand correctly, this section of the shaft is not keyed like the upstream section on the shaft that is most definitely keyed and only goes back on one way) I suppose it could it could give me this result? Would hate to have to go back in there again and drop the column to get things realigned. Also, the other question I have is .... how common is it to get an ESP error after disconnecting the steering column? I have not errors after a quick 1 mile test drive, but I understand it takes a longer test-period before those codes appear? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by soundquest; 01-13-2022 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-14-2022 | 06:31 AM

W204 C200, BMW E30 M3, 1980Gt Mini, Toyota Corona, KTM 200 EXC.
I think you would have to consider the spiral cable for the airbag if it is connected to the steering wheel you may be able to move the steering wheel around a few splines instead of disconnecting the column.
Old 01-14-2022 | 02:09 PM

95 E320 Wagon RWD
Originally Posted by NZ-Merc
I think you would have to consider the spiral cable for the airbag if it is connected to the steering wheel you may be able to move the steering wheel around a few splines instead of disconnecting the column.
I went ahead and dropped the column again and realigned the larger splined shaft to dead-on straight. Came out perfect (PITA but it worked). Steering wheel rides at 12 now.