C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

High pressure fuel pump failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2022 | 08:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250
High pressure fuel pump failure

The HPFP on my 2012 W204 C250 just failed. It has 96k miles on it but the 10-year warranty expired just 2.5 months ago. I'm the 2nd owner (purchased it in January for my grandson) and the local Mercedes dealership said that I'm "out of luck" and the repair will cost approximately $1700. I'm going to call Mercedes tomorrow to see if they'll offer some kind of "good will" assistance. Just damn...as I just had to repair the electric steering lock! I replaced that with an emulator and did the work myself.
Old 02-10-2022 | 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,490 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
Highly unlikely they will offer you any goodwill assistance, that assistance was already given with the 10 year warranty extension. Also, being the second owner you can pretty much forget it. Why are you taking a 10+ year old car to the dealership? Most ISP's can replace that pump for much less $$$. Find yourself a local ISP that specializes in European cars, or do it yourself if you're competent enough not to burn the car down.
Old 02-11-2022 | 12:52 AM

2012 C250
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
Highly unlikely they will offer you any goodwill assistance, that assistance was already given with the 10 year warranty extension. Also, being the second owner you can pretty much forget it. Why are you taking a 10+ year old car to the dealership? Most ISP's can replace that pump for much less $$$. Find yourself a local ISP that specializes in European cars, or do it yourself if you're competent enough not to burn the car down.
I always use an independent shop but I thought I'd see if Mercedes will consider offering any goodwill assistance first. I highly doubt they will but it's worth a try. They really didn't offer assistance with the 10 year warranty. They were forced to do so based on a lawsuit. I'm competent to do the job myself, but I've seen and read that it's a PITA to do, so I'm more than willing to pay someone to do it so I don't have to!

Also, I'm just guessing that it's the HPFP because nothing happens when I press the accelerator pedal. It starts and runs smoothly but it won't go over about 20MPH. No CEL or codes either.

Last edited by LE5196; 02-11-2022 at 01:02 AM.
Old 02-11-2022 | 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 469 Likes on 385 Posts
2021 GLB250 FWD, 2023 GLA250 FWD
Originally Posted by LE5196
I always use an independent shop but I thought I'd see if Mercedes will consider offering any goodwill assistance first. I highly doubt they will but it's worth a try. They really didn't offer assistance with the 10 year warranty. They were forced to do so based on a lawsuit. I'm competent to do the job myself, but I've seen and read that it's a PITA to do, so I'm more than willing to pay someone to do it so I don't have to!

Also, I'm just guessing that it's the HPFP because nothing happens when I press the accelerator pedal. It starts and runs smoothly but it won't go over about 20MPH. No CEL or codes either.
It’s in a tight spot. Alignment of the drive bushing is a gotcha because you can’t see it. It’s a bit curious that it didn’t set a DTC. It might be better going to a shop where they can check the pedal sensor and the rest of the system components.
Old 02-11-2022 | 02:01 PM

2012 C250
Originally Posted by Odd Piggy
It’s in a tight spot. Alignment of the drive bushing is a gotcha because you can’t see it. It’s a bit curious that it didn’t set a DTC. It might be better going to a shop where they can check the pedal sensor and the rest of the system components.
Understood, and that's the main reason why I'm not trying to tackle the repair myself. I have contacted an independent shop and I'm having them do the work as soon as I receive the pasts from FCP Euro. While they're at it, I'm having the oil filter housing gasket replaced as a preventative measure.

On a side note, I did speak with Mercedes a few hours ago and their response was, "We can't help you, and that's what extended warranties are for." Oh well.
Old 02-11-2022 | 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,490 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
Never seen the oil filter housing gasket leak on these. (?)