C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Bad ABS Control Module or Wheel Bearings?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2022 | 05:29 AM

2011 C300 4MATIC SPORT
Bad ABS Control Module or Wheel Bearings?

I have a 2011 C300 4matic sport with around 120,000 miles on it. About a month ago, my car blew a rear brake line. I realized it while starting to drive that it felt like the car's traction control was activating the brakes. I got the EBD, ABS, and ESC Unavailable Diagnose/Test Rig messages on the dash. I had both rear brake lines replaced with stainless steel lines at a local shop (Not a typical European shop, a regular all-makes repair shop). The owner bled the brakes, however the car would not drive, almost like it was in a limp mode, again with it feeling like traction control was activating and applying the brakes. The traction control light would flash while trying to drive, but it would not move more than a couple miles an hour. He ran codes and replaced the two rear ABS sensors. It did not fix the issue. He could not figure out the issue, so I picked the car up. If I enabled the DYNO MODE on the hidden dash screen, I could drive it and it would perform "normal." Once back at home, I replaced the two front ABS sensors so that all four ABS sensors are now new. The messages on the dash went away, but I still have an ABS light and Traction Control light on on the dashboard. The "limp mode" where it feels like the brakes are activated has gone away. When I reverse, the speedometer goes up to 50-60 mph while I'm just idling backward. I've noticed that the speedometer will show 2 mph while I am still in park before driving. I feel like I can hear the ABS activating when slowly driving, but it could be some other kind of similar noise. I bought an iCarsoft 980i scan tool. I tried clearing fault codes but no change. I checked the wheel speed values and they are all different and not consistent from one to another.

I don't want to keep throwing parts at this car as this is getting costly. I also hope to be able to avoid going to the dealing and aim to fix this myself. What could be causing these issues? Bad ABS control module? Bad wheel bearings? Do these cars use ABS tone rings on the axles? Unsure if it is related or not, but I replaced the right front CV Axel with one bought at a local O'Reilly's Auto Parts store as I needed one in a bind. I put about 300-400 miles on it before the brake line blew. Unsure if this issue caused the brake line to blow or which happened first.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!