C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Tire Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2022, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 c350 Sport
Tire Advice

Hello all! first of many posts Just purchased a 08 c350 sport and noticed a small slit in one tire. Noticed it after a wash that's why it has a bit of water build up on it. If I had to guess its about 1/8th of an inch deep or less . Everyone I have talked to says it needs to be replaced, what do you guys think? Also what tires would you recommend it replace it with?(car will be driven in the winter so maybe a good mix of sport and weather grip) PS excuse the rim quality, last owner wasn't the nicest to her.

Old 11-07-2022, 10:42 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2014 C250 Luxury
It's hard to say whether that slit is an issue or not, so most people / shops are going to give you the "better safe than sorry" answer and tell you to replace the tire.

As for what tires to go with, there's all sorts of advice you can find about that, either here in this forum or elsewhere on the intarwebs. Where are you located? When you say that car will be driven in the winter, does that mean it will be driven in cold weather, or that it will be driven on snow/slush/ice-covered roads? Are you going to stick with the same wheels, or change them out? Do you have a budget?
The following users liked this post:
Noble (11-07-2022)
Old 11-07-2022, 11:26 AM

2008 c350 Sport
Originally Posted by AAIIIC
It's hard to say whether that slit is an issue or not, so most people / shops are going to give you the "better safe than sorry" answer and tell you to replace the tire.

As for what tires to go with, there's all sorts of advice you can find about that, either here in this forum or elsewhere on the intarwebs. Where are you located? When you say that car will be driven in the winter, does that mean it will be driven in cold weather, or that it will be driven on snow/slush/ice-covered roads? Are you going to stick with the same wheels, or change them out? Do you have a budget?
Thanks for the response!
I live in NY but study in NC. Car will be left in NY and ill be driving it till around jan 9th then ill be bringing it to NC till summer. I DO have another vehicle i can drive but honestly I'm really thinking about just getting winter tires. Budget does exist for sure but I would like something that will last and is worth the money

As for the slit, do you know of anything I can do for it other then replace the tire, if I was to replace it do you think I need new in all corners or just the one.
Old 11-07-2022, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 143 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Go check the age of the tires. If it is more than 5 years old replace it. Michelin CrossClimate would be a good set of tires as they are way better than all season tires. If you are tackling more than 6" of snow or will be going through mountain passes that gets a lot of snow then better get dedicated winter tires.
Old 11-08-2022, 07:47 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2014 C250 Luxury
Originally Posted by shotgun_banjo
Go check the age of the tires. If it is more than 5 years old replace it. Michelin CrossClimate would be a good set of tires as they are way better than all season tires.
Michelin CrossClimate tires are all-season tires, so I'm not sure what you mean by that. And I'd say that if he's trying to drive through 6" of snow he doesn't need better tires, he needs a different vehicle!

Originally Posted by Noble
Thanks for the response!
I live in NY but study in NC. Car will be left in NY and ill be driving it till around jan 9th then ill be bringing it to NC till summer. I DO have another vehicle i can drive but honestly I'm really thinking about just getting winter tires. Budget does exist for sure but I would like something that will last and is worth the money
You could search around in NY to try to find someone selling used winter tires to tide you over until January - FB Marketplace, Craigslist, whatever should have folks selling used winter tires. If the plan is to be in NC long term, you could buy a set of new winter tires and then sell them in a couple months to at least get some of the money back.

Originally Posted by Noble
As for the slit, do you know of anything I can do for it other then replace the tire, if I was to replace it do you think I need new in all corners or just the one.
I don't think there's anything you can do to try to "fix" that slit. Do you have any idea how long the slit has been there? It may be that you don't need to do anything about it - if you think it's been there a while, then that kind of answers the question of whether it's really a problem. Whether you need to replace all 4 or a pair or just the 1 would depend on how old the tires are, what tread depth they've got, and whether that brand/model of tire is still available.
Old 11-08-2022, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 143 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
The Michelin Cross climates are all weather tires. They are better than all season. Think of it as in-between all season and winter tires. 6" of snow is nothing on 4matic W204 with winter tires. Heck my R56 which is lower than the W204 plows through that without a problem. If he is just driving on city roads that gets cleared by the city the cross climates will be fine but when he starts driving on highways that are notorious for extreme weather or going to the mountains for winter activities hands down he needs winter tires.

Last edited by shotgun_banjo; 11-08-2022 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-08-2022, 08:33 PM

2008 c350 Sport
No clue how long the slit has been there, I purchased the car drove it home washed it and saw it. im thinking about driving on it and keeping a close close eye on it.
Im not with the car right now so i dont have exact tread measurements or tire age for you but for what its worth they had plenty of tread. as for finding the winter tires on FB or craigslist its going to be hard because the tires are staggered sizes 225/40R18 (front)
255/35R18 (rear)
Old 11-09-2022, 02:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 428 Likes on 353 Posts
2021 GLB250 FWD, 2023 GLA250 FWD
Michelin Crossclimate 2 is 3 peak mountain/snowflake rated, so they should be fine for all but the worst winter conditions. BUT they are just marginal on roads where heavy spring and summer rains cannot run off fast enough and a layer of water covers the road. They don’t evacuate water fast enough and are prone to hydroplaning. In that case, Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4, which has been independently tested as adequate on snow, may be the choice (NOT Pilot Sport 4 which is a summer only tire). It all depends on the mix of winter and summer driving conditions.
Old 11-10-2022, 12:51 AM

2008 c350 Sport
I don't think there's anything you can do to try to "fix" that slit. Do you have any idea how long the slit has been there? It may be that you don't need to do anything about it - if you think it's been there a while, then that kind of answers the question of whether it's really a problem. Whether you need to replace all 4 or a pair or just the 1 would depend on how old the tires are, what tread depth they've got, and whether that brand/model of tire is still available.[/QUOTE]

Date codes on tires is may of 18.