C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Car won’t start, please help identifying the problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2023 | 07:05 AM

C250 1.8T
Car won’t start, please help identifying the problem

Hi, happy new year to mbworld!

It’s my first time posting here.
So, I have w204 1.8t sedan, and I have a problem starting my car.
Keys are working, but when I try to put it in ignition, it says Inoperative and car won’t start. Also, there is a message on my radio screen, which says that anti-theft protection is activated.
If I remove keys, close the door, wait for 5 minutes, open the door and start again, everything works perfectly. I tried googling and searching here, but none of the solutions worked for me.
I changed the batteries in my keys, had my keys to the shop checked for any damage (there was, not related to this but it got fixed), tried OBD and nothing appears.
Little side info, official MB dealership in my country charges 10x for anything, so it’s not an option.
If I can fix it myself, I will do it (have some experience), if I can’t, I have to drive it to some shops.
Did you have such kind of experience or what may cause this to happen?
Thanks in advance!
Old 01-04-2023 | 03:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 GLB250 FWD, 2023 GLA250 FWD
Your symptom sounds like a failing ESL (steering lock). It can be done by an owner with medium experience with tools. The ignition switch (EIS) and the key are also related to this problem but are less likely. Search this forum for more information on ESL failure, diagnosis, and repair.
Old 02-02-2023 | 10:12 PM

W204 and X166
I have the same problem on my 2012 c250. Car was fine, wife drove out of garage and car starts shaking and struggling to stay running then died. 7 weeks after, I had replaced all 4 spark plugs(Bosch) from autozone, 4 ignition coils (OE), valve cover gaskets and seals, cam shaft position sensor, and still just cranks and doesn't start. Now waiting for the fuel pump and filter so I could change it. Anyone got thoughts on what's the problem? Got the car since 50k miles. now at 104k miles. is this normal? what could be wrong? please help.
Old 02-03-2023 | 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 GLB250 FWD, 2023 GLA250 FWD
Originally Posted by doc.catatonic
I have the same problem on my 2012 c250. Car was fine, wife drove out of garage and car starts shaking and struggling to stay running then died. 7 weeks after, I had replaced all 4 spark plugs(Bosch) from autozone, 4 ignition coils (OE), valve cover gaskets and seals, cam shaft position sensor, and still just cranks and doesn't start. Now waiting for the fuel pump and filter so I could change it. Anyone got thoughts on what's the problem? Got the car since 50k miles. now at 104k miles. is this normal? what could be wrong? please help.
No, this is not normal.
Except that it won’t start, your problem sounds a lot different than sunfly’s.
You have changed a lot of parts without finding the problem.
Suggest you scan for codes.