C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Squeaky belt sound at idle after doing my own oil change.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2023 | 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Squeaky belt sound at idle after doing my own oil change.

Using vacuum extraction I nearly got out all the oil, at least 8 quarts probably a little more, and I replaced the oil with 8 quarts of the Mobil 1 0w40 European blend Costco special.

after i finished I started it up and hear a squeak at idle that didn’t go away after about 5 mins so I drove it and then found it goes away when gassing it but comes back faintly when no acceleration and then u can still hear it at idle.

car did not have this sound prior to me changing the oil.

I googled that potentially i spilled a few drops on the serpentine belt and that it will eventually go away, so I’m hoping that’s the case and not too concerned, but just curious if anybody else experienced this and how long it took to go away or if another more intrusive remedy was needed?

I did spill a few drops when pulling out the old filter too quickly, but wiped most of it up.

dipstick level is good and just slightly below the max.

thanks in advance for any post with your experiences or solutions.
Old 01-24-2023 | 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by rb23lb
Using vacuum extraction I nearly got out all the oil, at least 8 quarts probably a little more, and I replaced the oil with 8 quarts of the Mobil 1 0w40 European blend Costco special.

after i finished I started it up and hear a squeak at idle that didn’t go away after about 5 mins so I drove it and then found it goes away when gassing it but comes back faintly when no acceleration and then u can still hear it at idle.

car did not have this sound prior to me changing the oil.

I googled that potentially i spilled a few drops on the serpentine belt and that it will eventually go away, so I’m hoping that’s the case and not too concerned, but just curious if anybody else experienced this and how long it took to go away or if another more intrusive remedy was needed?

I did spill a few drops when pulling out the old filter too quickly, but wiped most of it up.

dipstick level is good and just slightly below the max.

thanks in advance for any post with your experiences or solutions.
damn, this forum is dead. Guess nobody drives these old beaters anymore??
Old 01-24-2023 | 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
it might just be time for new belt/ idler/pulley. how many miles on your car? i spilt oil on mine a few times never noticed a squeak but im at 220,000KM and the car is dead silent after a new belt and pulleys.
Old 01-25-2023 | 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MB Marko
it might just be time for new belt/ idler/pulley. how many miles on your car? i spilt oil on mine a few times never noticed a squeak but im at 220,000KM and the car is dead silent after a new belt and pulleys.
only have 67,000 miles on my 2008 c350.
weird that the noise only started after I changed the oil.. last few changes have been at Valvoline and maybe it wasn’t fully drained so this time doing it myself and vacuuming it all out ‘stirred’ Something up?

hmmmm
Old 01-25-2023 | 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MB Marko
I’ll get one though if needed. I wonder if even though it has low miles for a 2008, that maybe just sitting outside in the hot son for years has deteriorated them… trying to see how an oil change would only trigger this new belt sounding squeak at idle though..
Old 01-25-2023 | 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
id say its the belt its an 08? it is defiantly time. i got mine off rock auto as well as the idler and tensioner. it look about 15 min to change it out just make sure you remember how the belt goes back on its not hard to find on line but it helps it be changed faster if you just draw a picture lol.

FCP euro has the set for a good price as well, plus life time warranty lol.