C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

W204 C250 CDI OM651 Crank No Start after engine shutdown

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2023, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz W204 C250 CDI OM651
W204 C250 CDI OM651 Crank No Start after engine shutdown

Hi guys new member here.

Last week I was driving to the hospital and I accelerated a bit hard, the engine shut off completely. I was able to start it back up but it **** down again after 10meters.

Had someone pull my car back to my house and I started searching for the problem. My already weak battery was very weak after all the cranking and I was getting fault codes on the 87 circuit relay output. I changed the starter relay and the 87 circuit relay. I also changed the battery today but still no luck. I had the high pressure fuel pump and timing chain changed like 4-5 months ago.

My diagnostics tool says the fuel pressure is too low, also when I switch the ignition on I hear a very hard and loud gurgling/bubbling sound in the fuel pump/tank.

my question is could it be that my fuel pump is bad? I've also read that the leakoff fuel pipes can cause this sound at the fuel pump but can they also cause my engine to not start? Or is my high pressure fuel pump broken again?

kind regards
Old 06-11-2023, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 ML430 previously; now 2012 C300 Sport
If your fuel pump is bad, then you would likely not have any fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Rent or buy a fuel tester gauge and hook it up to the schrader valve on the fuel rail and get a reading. Check the specs for your vehicle for the psi reading to see whether you are getting enough pressure there. Some diagnostics will show the amount of pressure at the rail in units of bars. If you have more than 5 bars, then that should be adequate pressure. You could also jump the load side of your fuel pump relay to find out whether you are having problems with the relay, or an issue with the load side itself, or control side, or you can take 12 volts directly to the fuel pump itself to see if it runs. I presently have a crank no start issue I'm working through, and have checked all those items. You should also check all your fuses. I have 6 fuses related to the fuel system on my W204.