C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

W204 C200 - ESL Rebuilt- STILL No Crank- N0 Error Codes at ALL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w204 C-class
Question W204 C200 - ESL Rebuilt- STILL No Crank- N0 Error Codes at ALL

Hi All,
So, ESL checked out 2 weeks ago.
Sitting in a driveway, switched the car off, jumped out and locked the car. Tried to start the car literally 40 seconds post switching it off and locking it... Nothing.
Usual story;
* No Dash Lights.
* Can still Lock and Unlock the car.
* Insert Key - Roll though the ignition - Ignition = Nothing.
The ESL was JUUSST at the that point of nearly locking the Steering Column, but I still had steering, luckily.
- I check all Fuses and the Starter Relay. Nothing seems blown or off from the normal.

So fast-forward 2 weeks and huge amounts of research, videos and reading Forums, etc... Parts arrive. I recondition the ESL.
Now, this is where my situation gets tricky.
Scenario no 1.
I reassemble the ESL to EXACTLY where it stopped so the the Counters on the Micro Switches inside the unit would power up and continue working.
Reconnect Battery with Key in the Ignition at Resting Position = Nothing. Checked Fuses again. Unplugged ESL - Plugged back in again = Nothing.
Pulled it back out -
Scenario no 2.
I reassemble the ESL to guided position of UN-locked. Plastic Gear with the opening in the guided track pointed towards the black plastic motor spacer - this leaving the Micro Switch in the CENTER of the ESL control board hard under load and the Micro Switch to the LEFT of center - ever so gently under load (almost no load whatsoever). Same again, plugged the ESL in, Insert Key = Nothing.
Scenario no 3.
EXACTLY the opposite to scenario no 2. Assembled ESL in the position of FULLY-LOCKED. Micro Switched reversed in detail - CENTER = no load, LEFT of center = Under load.
Correct, you guessed it = NOTHING.

Key Locks and UN-locks car. Open rear boot lid however, ESL is still completely dead and the Car does as it does when the ESL dies.
I am of the mind that the ESL is.... well, dead!
EIS still recognises the Key, it's just that nothing is talking to each other and STILL, is throwing no error-codes at me at all.

I'm clearly missing something.
Any input is valued.
Thanks in advance.