C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C250 no crank no start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2023, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 c250
C250 no crank no start

Good afternoon everyone, I’ve been scouring these forums the last couple of days over my no crank no start issue. Originally back in December I had the same problem but was able to get the vehicle jumped and turned out the battery failed. Replaced that and it was good until July 4th. Drove to the store and came out went to start the vehicle had all lights, steering column made the typical lock/unlock sound as it should but won’t start. I tried it with the push button in and out. I never typically use the key, but I tried that as well and only got the remove key from ignition when the key is in the neutral position, the message goes away when I turn the key into the other positions. Tried jumping the vehicle with 2 different vehicles and sets of cables and again no luck. I checked all applicable starter and fuel pump fuses everything is good. Tried shorting the starter relay (forgot the pin numbers) no luck. After reading some threads here about the ESL issue I tried keying over all the way, pulling the ESL fuse, putting it back in, and then jumping starter relay again. Does this sound like maybe it’s just my starter that went out? Or is there any other troubleshooting I can do first before making that swap. I would have banged on the starter but I had to order another Jack as mine went out. Thank you and I look forward to your replies.

Old 07-06-2023, 02:57 PM

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts
2020 C300, 2013 C250, 2000 Boxster S
Originally Posted by haze2255
Good afternoon everyone, I’ve been scouring these forums the last couple of days over my no crank no start issue. Originally back in December I had the same problem but was able to get the vehicle jumped and turned out the battery failed. Replaced that and it was good until July 4th. Drove to the store and came out went to start the vehicle had all lights, steering column made the typical lock/unlock sound as it should but won’t start. I tried it with the push button in and out. I never typically use the key, but I tried that as well and only got the remove key from ignition when the key is in the neutral position, the message goes away when I turn the key into the other positions. Tried jumping the vehicle with 2 different vehicles and sets of cables and again no luck. I checked all applicable starter and fuel pump fuses everything is good. Tried shorting the starter relay (forgot the pin numbers) no luck. After reading some threads here about the ESL issue I tried keying over all the way, pulling the ESL fuse, putting it back in, and then jumping starter relay again. Does this sound like maybe it’s just my starter that went out? Or is there any other troubleshooting I can do first before making that swap. I would have banged on the starter but I had to order another Jack as mine went out. Thank you and I look forward to your replies.
If you shorted the starter relay pins and had no joy, then it sounds like the starter has failed. Your experience was similar to mine in that there was little forewarning. There was one time when it was slow but then failed several weeks later. I tried bumping it without success. It seems that when it fails, it fails for good. Not like in the old days when you could rock the vehicle back and forward to force the starter past the bad spot in the windings.
Old 07-06-2023, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 c250
Originally Posted by alynch
If you shorted the starter relay pins and had no joy, then it sounds like the starter has failed. Your experience was similar to mine in that there was little forewarning. There was one time when it was slow but then failed several weeks later. I tried bumping it without success. It seems that when it fails, it fails for good. Not like in the old days when you could rock the vehicle back and forward to force the starter past the bad spot in the windings.
Thanks for the reply, I figured that was more or less the case. I’m still getting used to how finicky these vehicles can be. I’m used to older cars with more telltale symptoms. I was planning on pulling the starter and having it checked on Saturday to confirm, but at least it sounds pretty cut and dry based on your previous experience.
Old 07-06-2023, 06:41 PM

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts
2020 C300, 2013 C250, 2000 Boxster S
Originally Posted by haze2255
Thanks for the reply, I figured that was more or less the case. I’m still getting used to how finicky these vehicles can be. I’m used to older cars with more telltale symptoms. I was planning on pulling the starter and having it checked on Saturday to confirm, but at least it sounds pretty cut and dry based on your previous experience.
On the good side, the starter is a breeze to replace. Old one out, and the new one installed in about 30 minutes, including disconnecting the battery and jacking up the car. No scraped knuckles and no additions to the swear jar!
Old 07-07-2023, 09:34 AM

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
C250 2013
Originally Posted by alynch
On the good side, the starter is a breeze to replace. Old one out, and the new one installed in about 30 minutes, including disconnecting the battery and jacking up the car. No scraped knuckles and no additions to the swear jar!
I second that, I replaced the starter once and had to get it out when I replaced the oil filter housing. With the intake manifold out, it took less than 10 mins, getting to the electric connectors from top was like a walk in the park.