C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

This can't be good - front drive axle / differential shot

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 01:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 CLK 430
This can't be good - front drive axle / differential shot

Last weekend while driving (in gear) I heard a pop and felt a pop from the front center of the car. Immediately after I started to hear a grinding and a loss of power until eventually the car wouldn't move. Had the vehicle towed home so I could inspect further. Front driver-side and passenger side drive axles have play in them and I'm hearing a clicking sound when I move them back and forth. When on flat ground and I have the vehicle in drive or reverse it'll crawl forwards and backwards but whenever I press the accelerator there is no response other than a griding/clanking sound.

So I've read some other threads and watched some tutorials and I'm fairly confident that both drive axles need to be replaced...what I can't bottom out is if the front differential entirely needs to be swapped out. Wanted to get the thoughts from the forum on how I should proceed.

I'd go ahead and replace the drive axles but if i then I find out that didn't fix the issue and i'm still getting the same response when hitting accelerator (grinding sound) then I'll have to take both drive axles out replace the differential (if thats truly the issue).

I'm seeing differentials online for $300 - $500 so I'm considering just replacing that + drive axles all at once.

Vehicle is a 2010 C300 4matic with around 110K.
Old 12-14-2023, 08:08 AM

Received 93 Likes on 85 Posts
2009 MB C300 Sport 4matic
Have you located the front prop shaft, passenger side of the transmission running forward to the front diff...? Runs from transfer case to ft. diff and has problems with the support bearing failing (where shaft exits transfer case and runs to ft. diff). The shaft will have too much play/wiggle. An intact prop shaft is solidly fixed, no lateral movement.

This addresses the universal joint failure on prop shaft. first possibility, which may be your problem since they let loose with a "pop"...... but shows the part area..a Search will show the transfer case shaft output bearing internals, a second failure possibility . A shot front diff, 3rd choice, still remains in the equation.

All 3 failure areas will produce clicking when the drive shafts are turned....I don't see your immediate problem being drive shaft failure unless some total failure of a CV joint has occurred which would be very evident and proceeded by many miles of popping and clicking, especially on turning. Your drive shafts may benefit from replacement at 110K but not the immediate problem IMHO.