C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

FAILED TEST Warning lights check sequence

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2024 | 08:53 AM

W205 C220, G11 730d, Sprinter 906
FAILED TEST Warning lights check sequence

Hi All, I have recently been through the NCT ( Govt Roadworthiness test in Ireland )
with my 2010 S204 estate 1.6 kompressor.,
​I have got the Fail sheet stating: SRS Airbag Error warning light is on
Due to this they are unable to issue a Certificate of Roadworthiness.

So I went through all stages of diagnosis and repair work.
Diagnostic says : "left side window bag resistance too high"
Almost the same that shown on dashboard screen
After all checks of physical damage of cables, airbag, checked cable resistance and voltages and Airbag is got replaced too... We have found that problem is in the SRS Airbag ECU
The car have got replaced with another good used SRS module as the old one failed on hardware, literally something burnt inside of it. So the new one is coded and assigned to the car VIN etc. Finished with all diagnostics checks and all good to go - No any airbag faults on the dash and Autel scanner.
Brought back the car to the NCT center, for visual re-test (it means the advisor will only need to check that the error is not an a dashboard anymore - visually )
So advisor started the check by putting the key in ignition then started the engine, looking at the dash, then turned it off, removed the key and put it back just for an ignition not start of the engine, and was looking for 20 seconds.

He is Drawed the line: "The sequence of the waring lights is WRONG, they are not go off before the engine start, but only after you start the engine"
*I was like - Hey this is not the question, error is not there anymore what tf do you want?? *

after arguing for a long time that: this is not the matter of question (fail was the SRS light), that all cars might work differently, that there is no any errors on the dash and this is just warning lights check and after engine start they go off, he didn't changed his mind.
And rejected to provide me the regulations/instructions that clearly stating by what sequence this lights MUST work on that car and how it shouldn't. His answer always was: "I don't have it. I just know how it's should be"

I know it's a long read but guys, you have/had w204, can you tell me how it was working on yours?

Cheers
​​​​​​
Old 01-05-2024 | 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
Have you asked the local Mercedes dealership if the behavior is normal?

I guess bureaucrats are the same all over the world!
Old 01-05-2024 | 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 2010 C300 4matic Sport M272
Check in your operators manual. Im in the US so it may be different. But mine says the srs light stays on with the ignition switched to on, then should go out with the engine started. Look in the air bag section.

I'll add if this is the same in your operators manual I would go back down and show it to the guy. And be sure to have your phone out recording the interaction. Get this guy on video. Seems he is wrong.

Last edited by TimC300; 01-05-2024 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-09-2024 | 07:51 PM

W205 C220, G11 730d, Sprinter 906
Originally Posted by TimC300
Check in your operators manual. Im in the US so it may be different. But mine says the srs light stays on with the ignition switched to on, then should go out with the engine started. Look in the air bag section.

I'll add if this is the same in your operators manual I would go back down and show it to the guy. And be sure to have your phone out recording the interaction. Get this guy on video. Seems he is wrong.

Thanks Tim. Hope it will help me to make a complaint addressed to this staff member. By the way, I have passed the Test just at another Car testing station without any problems!! 🤔