C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Multiple warnings and flickering lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2024, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multiple warnings and flickering lights

Hello everybody,

I tried to search the forums but the nature of the issue made it difficult to have an opinion. I am hoping that somebody knows what is going on. I would like to inform that, I am living in a non-English speaking country as an expat so it's a little bit hard to get definitive information from the mechanics.

I have a 2012 C180 1.6 156hp. The car is regularly maintained but issues started two weeks ago.

Chronologically:
  • ECO mode turned itself off and I was told to replace the battery. (The car had the original battery),
  • Got the battery replaced, the ECO issue wasn't solved and a "Restraint system malfunction" message appeared with the red airbag light on,
  • They connected the car to the diagnostic computer and I was told that a sensor was faulty they replaced the part (located near the fusebox on the right side of the engine bay),
  • They also told me, they connected to the diagnostic computer and did some settings.
The initial issues are gone but now, strange issues started. Every time I start the car and start driving, soon after (usually when I am turning the wheel) command screen is flickering, ABS, SRS, ESP, Front left and right malfunction and Release parking brake messages are coming on. Parking sensor lights are flickering. The steering wheel is resisting. All this happens for 3-5 seconds and everything is disappearing and things are becoming normal. No errors, nothing.

I don't know where to look or do so hoping that someone can help here.
Thanks.
Old 09-30-2024, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 414 Likes on 352 Posts
W204 2010 C300 4matic Sport M272
I would get a Mercedes specific obd scanner to scan for faults. Appears you could benefit from having one, instead of taking it to a shop every time.

I wonder if it is battery/alternator related. Check the battery terminals to make sure they are on tight. The alternator may be on its way out, or specifically the voltage regulator. Do you notice the lights going dim when the error messages come up?

How is the condition of the drive belt? Condition of the belt tensioner? Im thinking they may be worn and causing low voltage and power steering issue.

Im just speculating on what it could be. Scanning the car for any faults would be my 1st step.