C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

MB Wi-Fi

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220 AMG Saloon 2014 Premium Plus Bluetec
MB Wi-Fi

I have a router in the W205 and although this behaves like a router I would connect to, I can't connect to it using the passkey that's generated. Furthermore, this doesn't provide the internet as it's a WLAN device. My guess is, I have to put in a data sim somewhere but cannot find where this would go or how I would activate this service.

I have an EE buzzard (USB dongle, plugs into USB port of car) which gives me 4G internet access through my phone. Even if I could get the MB wireless module to connect to the buzzard, it would mean I can access the internet through the browser and apps on the COMAND unit.

Does anyone have the technical know-how to do this or will this feature just remain unused? There must be some way of activating it.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:16 PM

W205 C200 (Petrol) Sport Premium Plus
Based just on what I've read, rather than actual hands-on experience, my guess is that it will use data from a tethered phone or the £400 Mercedes Telephone Module with Bluetooth that is available for the W205 and various other Mercedes cars. Apparently this module can have a SIM card directly inserted into it to enable a faster and independent connection from the phone and better reception due to its use of the vehicles external aerial. See, for example, http://www.mercedes-benz-accessories...telephony.html Some mobile phone contracts include a reasonably priced multi-SIM option.

To be able to tether a phone your phone contract must allow tethering (many, even those with generous data allowances, don't) and the phone must have the required Bluetooth profiles which I believe are SAP = SIM Access Profile and DUN = Dial Up Networking profile.

I'd be very interested to hear if anyone has real experience of the £400 Mercedes Telephone module as I might need to buy one when I get my W205.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:29 PM

C220 AMG Saloon 2014 Premium Plus Bluetec
Thanks! I have managed to connect to the internet via Bluetooth using an iPhone 5 - just have to switch Personal Hotspot on, on the phone for it to work - otherwise "internet connection cannot be established".

I would really like to know where I can put the data sim card to get the in-car Wi-Fi to work so I don't have to tether in order to connect to the net. Think it's a question for the dealer (though one I don't think they can answer based on my previous interactions with them). Might try tweeting MBUK - they have responded with DM's in the past.

On a separate note, one of the best features I have found is using Send To Car app on my phone to send addresses. When COMAND is connected to the net, I access the POI downloader app to download any addresses I have sent, which then load up in the Sat nav.

Saves valuable minutes in the car at the start of a journey.