C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Week One: from my Volvo S60 into the C300

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Week One: from my Volvo S60 into the C300

I now have a week with my new C300, and am finally starting to get familiar with the car and its electronics. I was comfortable driving the car as soon as I got into it, but all those little hidden functions do take some time to find and master.

Aside from a long list of sports cars, my sedans have included BMW's, Audi's, and my last car ... a 2012 Volvo S60 R-Design. All were excellent cars with very unique personalities. My Volvo was surprisingly good, but I wanted something different this time around, so opted to look elsewhere. I really didn't think I would trade this quickly, but I was really drawn to the design of the 2015 C series. I live in snow country, and I also now do not want any daily driver that is not AWD. My Audi Quattro's did really well with good snow tires, as did my AWD Volvo.

Earlier this month I finally got a chance to test drive the C300 and was very impressed with how composed it felt. My 6'3" frame found an easy fit with more legroom and headroom than I even hoped for.

I decided that, for me, the C300 made more sense than the C400. I've always gone for the most power and most aggressive handling setup available but, this time around, decided something more economical and forgiving might suit me better. (I do own a 2013 Porsche Boxster S, so I have ample opportunity to flex my vehicular muscles when I feel the need.) Our local roads can be very poor, so I really wanted some compliance in the suspension to help deal with frost heaves and potholes. I also wanted to increase my cruising range, so the 4 cylinder turbo with standard suspension was what I opted for.

So, how does this car feel after a week of driving? Pretty good. The seats are a bit more firm than most, but the multitude of adjustments help greatly in finding that comfort "sweet spot." The left foot rest is huge, and easily accommodates my size 12 foot. There's even room under the brake pedal for my right foot to rest while on cruise control. Visibility is good, even out of that sloped rear window. The rear headrest, which can be removed, are low enough so they don't intrude. The steering wheel feels about right, and the controls are easy to use. I do not like the fact that the display can not show the odometer reading along with the speedometer .. something I have not seen in any other car. If you are showing speed, you have to hit the arrow on the wheel to scroll to the odometer. That's a minor nuisance, but a nuisance none the less.

The rather unique gear shift on the stalk seemed weird at first, nothing I've seen before, but it is simple to use and does save space on the console. The storage bin on the console is huge and has a split cover. Cup holders are usable on the console, and also appear in the door storage areas. Including the rear, there are six cup holders in this car, enough so you can host a party while you're driving.

Headlights are a major concern for me, since few of the rural roads I drive on are lit. We also have a large deer, moose, and bear population ... some of which can exhibit suicidal tendencies as they throw themselves at moving cars at night. Having already experienced a head-on collision with a moose .. in a BMW Z3 no less ... I really have no inclination to repeat that experience. I am happy to report that the LED lights on my C300 do an exceptional job of lighting up the road. They throw a bluish colored beam that is broad and reaches a good distance on high beams. Low beams are not as effective, but these are very good lights. The auto function works very quickly, even coming on instantly in shaded areas. The interior lighting is excellent, and the exit function can be programmed to illuminate the outside door handles.

The COMAND system has a rather steep learning curve, mainly because it covers so much. I'm still plodding through it, but am discovering more programming options each time I use it. So far, the only thing I dislike is the somewhat obtuse way it stores presets on the radio and satellite. Instead of simply pressing and holding a button, you have to bring up the Options menu, the Edit sub-menu, then select a function to store your station. I thought electronics were supposed to make things easier.

The Burmester audio system is, quite simply, the best stock system I've ever heard in a car. Yes, you can do better with custom aftermarket components, but this system is worth every penny and a bargain at its price point. Pop in a good quality CD, and you'll be surprised at what this system can do. For my taste, I find increased treble and midrange, with reduced bass, is the most pleasing setup.

The engine is not yet broken in, so I haven't really pushed it very hard. Still, it seems to have plenty of punch and ample power for fast passing in short passing zones. Economy has already been impressive, with a computer reading of 29.4 on my trip back from the dealer. Since then, with mostly local and hilly driving, the computer shows 27 mpg. The engine sounds a bit raspy when accelerating, but is dead quiet when cruising. The cruise control is simple and does brake downhill to hold the set speed.

The ride quality has been quite good, with slight harshness over very rough surfaces. Over normal roads, it is completely smooth. It has a bit more body roll on hard turns than my past cars, but only a little and easily controlled. Interior noise levels are subdued, but vary with the road surface. (I have the 18" tires.) Steering still feels a little on the light side to me, but it is very quick and very accurate. It even has some road feel buried in there. Moving from Comfort to Sport on the Agility scale does tighten it up, and also engages more aggressive transmission mapping.

Fit and finish on my Alabama made car is quite good except for a poorly fit fuel filler door. (I'll have that adjusted by the dealer later.) The black MB-Tex and Burl Walnut interior is beautiful, and perfectly put together. I am pleased with artico, even though every car I've owned has had "realco." It feels good, isn't at all slippery, and looks rich. It doesn't smell like leather, but it should prove quite durable over the years.

The panoramic roof option, which I initially was going to pass on, is really very impressive. It adds an open feel to the car that is something special. Operation is simple, with a single button controlling both the screen and the glass.

The car feels tight, handles well, is quick, has accurate steering, and can generate very respectable fuel economy numbers. It is not all that different feeling from my S60 ... perhaps a bit softer and more refined, but the S60 was actually quite a good car. It feels more planted than my Audi A4's, and also has better seats and steering than the Audi's.

I just hope that reliability will turn out to be good. I'm already waiting for that first recall notice on the steering ... a recall that was issued three days after I picked up my car.

My apologies for the lack of pictures, but I've been working every day since I drove the car home. Today is a day off, so I'll get out with my camera and get some shots that I'll post later.
The following users liked this post:
Captfx (12-29-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 01:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 C300 4matic
It’s funny I come across this , I bought a used 2016 C300 4matic a week ago, 30k miles on it . And I’m completely there with you with how you feel about the shifting and concerns about the failures you have read. I initially wanted an E350 but seems as if those have more engine issues compared to the 4cyl. As far as my research , the C300 seemed like the most solid MB for its price . I can only judge for this model and not MB as a whole , it’s my first “luxury” car . I guess I expected more ? At the same time I do understand that it’s not AMG model, nor a 60-80k car. But anyways , hope your C300 is as solid as I hope for mine to be as well .