C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Audi to MB dillema

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 04:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1995 E320 Wagon
Question Audi to MB dillema

I've owned 4 Audis in my adult life and now I find myself looking at the new C400 model! WTH?! I've been looking at an S7 forever and had been counting the days until I pulled the trigger. But alas, I here on MBWorld.com trying to come to terms with the fact that I'm in LOVE with the new C-Class. I mean it's not even in the same size category as the A7/S7 but I don't care. It looks like a baby S550 and I want it. Anyone else jump ship from the 4-rings to the Star? The cranberry red interior with the pearl necklace vents... the fit and finish... 4.5 sec 0-60... Ugh!!!
Old 10-04-2014, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Yogibara
I've owned 4 Audis in my adult life and now I find myself looking at the new C400 model! WTH?! I've been looking at an S7 forever and had been counting the days until I pulled the trigger. But alas, I here on MBWorld.com trying to come to terms with the fact that I'm in LOVE with the new C-Class. I mean it's not even in the same size category as the A7/S7 but I don't care. It looks like a baby S550 and I want it. Anyone else jump ship from the 4-rings to the Star? The cranberry red interior with the pearl necklace vents... the fit and finish... 4.5 sec 0-60... Ugh!!!
After having bought 2 MBs, I just jumped from the star to the blue and white roundel. Exterior design was not a deciding factor (all the German brands are far past the "acceptable" threshold - just going in different directions); it was about driving feel/engagement and I just don't feel this old yet. I almost did the 4 rings, but the new S3 was automatic only, and the S4 is at the end of its life cycle, so they fell off the list quickly. If an S Class is your ultimate, you will love the new C and the Audi S7 would be far too sporty for you. Happy shopping, but be sure to drive them all!
Old 10-05-2014, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put it simple, it is a good car. Obviously the new C-class strikes a cord with consumers. But there might also be a different reason you stray. The flip side of Brand recognition, is that consumers eventually gets bored. The German brands are especially bad in that respect. The whole range looks the same +- 10% in size.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:46 PM

A few different ones
I've had Audi's, Mercedes and bmws ... They are all great and whenever I am in the market for a new car I always check out all 3 ... You can't go wrong with any of them.

Variety is the spice of life and when buying a new car it is always fun trying and learning a car different then the one before. Try the Mercedes ...
Old 10-06-2014, 09:58 AM

2015 C400 loaded
I have been pondering for the last year on which to buy. The BMW I ruled out, I just didnt like the interior and orange dash, I was pretty set on the S4 or S5 Audi for a long time and then the CLA45AMG came out so that was a serious competitor. Once they announced the C400 I was in love. I am ecstatic about my decision, the car is a dream and I feel like I made the right decision with ease.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by abstractls
I have been pondering for the last year on which to buy. The BMW I ruled out, I just didnt like the interior and orange dash, I was pretty set on the S4 or S5 Audi for a long time and then the CLA45AMG came out so that was a serious competitor. Once they announced the C400 I was in love. I am ecstatic about my decision, the car is a dream and I feel like I made the right decision with ease.
Enjoy many years of safe and happy driving!

Just to clarify, on the BMW, the instrument panel is black, as are the instruments, with white lettering. Only the lighting is "U-boat commander orange", although in my case, the entire exterior is also orange, although a brilliant metallic! Quite a change from my recently departed Palladium Silver C300.

P.S. Lots of folks call the instrument panel the "dash", but the dashboard is actually the sheetmetal which starts to bend upward from the floor toward the cowl, and is the metal to which the instrument panel is attached.

Last edited by Sportstick; 10-06-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:59 AM

2015 C400 loaded
yeah obviously i was referring to the lighting. I just cant stand it. I know the reasons behind it, but it just reminds me of a cheap 1980s rental car. I believe the M series are different but I could be wrong. For straight performance and handling I could see the BMW edge but it just doesnt have the luxury I wanted. It's a trade off of course and I am definitely not upset with the performance of the C400
Old 10-06-2014, 01:44 PM

1995 E320 Wagon
I'm working on a test drive for this weekend to make the final decision. For the person that said "variety is the spice of life"; I couldn't agree more. After owning 4 Audis I'm bored with their interior but will miss their reliability and quality. I know MB had a lull in their quality during the Chrysler years and their models looked more like Camerys. Looks like they righted the ship and have made, what I feel, is truly a car that deserves the Mercedes Benz name.

Some added notes: I'm currently driving a 2010 S5 and love the car but by today's standards the V6 biturbo is producing more torque than my V8 with better gas mileage! The S6, S7 and S8 have a new 4.0L twin-turbo V8 that just blows the doors off the competition but again after owning 4 I'm bored with them.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
I know MB had a lull in their quality during the Chrysler years and their models looked more like Camerys. L
Just for the record, and not to thread-jack, but MB's quality decline and any changes in design during those years were wholly self-inflicted. In fact, it was MB direction which mandated the designs for the atrocious Durango and Caliber against the wishes of American local management. In addition, their management techniques drained the cash-cow Chrysler, which they thought worthy of buying just a few years earlier. After sufficient r&pe and pillage, they ran out, leaving a shell of what had very earlier been a highly profitable company. You may like MB's cars now, with Dr. Z in charge, replacing the dubious Schrempp, but they are no saints, and not very good business partners. There are books which recorded this history, and some of us witnesses can fill in some details.

Last edited by Sportstick; 10-06-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Just for the record, and not to thread-jack, but MB's quality decline and any changes in design during those years were wholly self-inflicted. In fact, it was MB direction which mandated the designs for the atrocious Durango and Caliber against the wishes of American local management. In addition, their management techniques drained the cash-cow Chrysler, which they thought worthy of buying just a few years earlier. After sufficient r&pe and pillage, they ran out, leaving a shell of what had very earlier been a highly profitable company. You may like MB's cars now, with Dr. Z in charge, replacing the dubious Schrempp, but they are no saints, and not very good business partners. There are books which recorded this history, and some of us witnesses can fill in some details.
It is too bad that people leave out the greedy, yet dimwitted American execs that fell for the deal in the first place. A merger of equals was BS from the start anyone with half a brain knew this. Second thing is people seem to think Chrysler was in such good shape before hand, they weren't. Sure they sold cars, but the produced nothing but pure JUNK. Some of the worst cars (but good looking) on the road quality wise. I just love the rape and pillage part. You can't rape the willing and Eaton and the gang were more than willing to sell the company out and they parted with big $$ and didn't give a rats **** about Chrysler. The debacle was nearly all Mercedes' fault, that is utter nonsense.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 10-06-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:29 PM

1995 E320 Wagon
Originally Posted by Germancar1
It is too bad that people leave out the greedy, yet dimwitted American execs that fell for the deal in the first place. A merger of equals was BS from the start anyone with half a brain knew this. Second thing is people seem to think Chrysler was in such good shape before hand, they weren't. Sure they sold cars, but the produced nothing but pure JUNK. Some of the worst cars (but good looking) on the road quality wise. I just love the rape and pillage part. You can't rape the willing and Eaton and the gang were more than willing to sell the company out and they parted with big $$ and didn't give a rats **** about Chrysler. The debacle was nearly all Mercedes' fault, that is utter nonsense.

M
Totally agree. Chrysler is still making crap as far as I'm concerned.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Germancar1

M
Totally agree. Chrysler is still making crap as far as I'm concerned.
Some of the first comments are true, but you have both missed the original point of this topic. Chrysler was the McDonald's of the autos. Lower end quality, well-marketed, and humming along with a business model which was piling up the cash. That's what made it attractive for Daimler-Benz to buy in the first place. No one will defend the actions of Eaton and some of his direct reports, who were somewhere between naive and malevolent in letting the company be taken in pretend merger, which was really a takeover which netted them huge personal profits.

The point of this conversation was the implication earlier that somehow during the merger, Chrysler had an effect on MB quality. Regardless of what you thought of Chrysler vehicles then or now, that assertion is patently false. The Germans view of Americans in general, and American car companies in particular, was quite low. They resisted attempts to actually merge the operations, as they didn't want anything American tarnishing their German heritage. Whether you find that honorable or insulting, it substantiates that the "Chrysler years" had no impact on MB quality. They wouldn't let anything American near their programs, although a couple of execs were moved to Germany to "learn". Chrysler got some technology transferred back to them, but it was a one-way street. That is why the key point above was that the ebb and flow of MB quality was self-inflicted.

As to the eventual gutting of Chrysler, MB took a mediocre quality company that was financially successful and sank it. They mandated draconian cost-cutting and made awful program decisions which undermined the cash-flow success which Chrysler had before they showed up. What was mediocre became awful. The r&pe and pillage was quite real. It wasn't about Eaton and crew doing any suffering. It was about the 12,000+ people trying to run the company from the trenches who were doing the best jobs they were permitted to do. The constraints on budgets, resources, and vehicle content were significant. Those are the people who were devastated, after devoting their lives, careers, and well-being of their families.

Don't like Chrysler products? Fine, but to close one's eyes to the destruction MB brought to company before the eventual Fiat rescue is to ignore real history. The company MB could not manage is now raking in huge profits again. Go read "Taken for a Ride" by journalist Bill Vlasic or find more eyewitnesses to chat with.

Last edited by Sportstick; 10-06-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Some of the first comments are true, but you have both missed the original point of this topic. Chrysler was the McDonald's of the autos. Lower end quality, well-marketed, and humming along with a business model which was piling up the cash. That's what made it attractive for Daimler-Benz to buy in the first place. No one will defend the actions of Eaton and some of his direct reports, who were somewhere between naive and malevolent in letting the company be taken in pretend merger, which was really a takeover which netted them huge personal profits.

The point of this conversation was the implication earlier that somehow during the merger, Chrysler had an effect on MB quality. Regardless of what you thought of Chrysler vehicles then or now, that assertion is patently false. The Germans view of Americans in general, and American car companies in particular, was quite low. They resisted attempts to actually merge the operations, as they didn't want anything American tarnishing their German heritage. Whether you find that honorable or insulting, it substantiates that the "Chrysler years" had no impact on MB quality. They wouldn't let anything American near their programs, although a couple of execs were moved to Germany to "learn". Chrysler got some technology transferred back to them, but it was a one-way street. That is why the key point above was that the ebb and flow of MB quality was self-inflicted.

As to the eventual gutting of Chrysler, MB took a mediocre quality company that was financially successful and sank it. They mandated draconian cost-cutting and made awful program decisions which undermined the cash-flow success which Chrysler had before they showed up. What was mediocre became awful. The r&pe and pillage was quite real. It wasn't about Eaton and crew doing any suffering. It was about the 12,000+ people trying to run the company from the trenches who were doing the best jobs they were permitted to do. The constraints on budgets, resources, and vehicle content were significant. Those are the people who were devastated, after devoting their lives, careers, and well-being of their families.

Don't like Chrysler products? Fine, but to close one's eyes to the destruction MB brought to company before the eventual Fiat rescue is to ignore real history. The company MB could not manage is now raking in huge profits again. Go read "Taken for a Ride" by journalist Bill Vlasic or find more eyewitnesses to chat with.

Oh I know that, Mercedes quality dropped due to Shremp's "Benz in every garage" vision, I was just being clear about the merger.

M
Old 10-08-2014, 03:36 PM

MB GLS550/BMW 550/2017 Acura NSX
You were going to get an S7, and opted for the C400? Are you sure you will be satisfied wit that?

Why not wait for the C63? That would be much more comparable.

C63 is what I am waiting for too.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205

I'm learning so much!
Old 10-08-2014, 04:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205
Originally Posted by Axxlrod
You were going to get an S7, and opted for the C400? Are you sure you will be satisfied wit that?

+1.. if you're looking to move away from Audi and like the 4 dr coupe/hatch look, have you looked at the CLS AMG, BMW 6er, or even Panamera?
Old 10-08-2014, 06:36 PM

1995 E320 Wagon
Originally Posted by Axxlrod

Good question. Primarily it's because I felt the value proposition on the C400 was better for what I want out of a car. Sub 5 second 0-60, fuel economy, features and appearance. All for < $60K compared to >$100K

Plus, I've never been much of a fan of the AMG approach to performance which is "try to squeeze the biggest V8 under the hood).

Finally, the interior styling on the Audis needs to be refreshed to compete with the new wave of cars coming from MB.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
I have same problem, owned MB only and each time when I tried to shop for Audi I ended getting a new Benz. I have to admit Audi is inferior to Benz or BMW. Sorry if offended any Audi fans.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:54 AM

2015 C400 loaded
same dilemma I had. For 2 years I was really set on buying an Audi S4 or S5, then they announced the CLA45AMG and I almost bought that. Once they announced the C400 it was very clear which one to get. I opted for more luxury over sport.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:57 AM

1995 E320 Wagon
same dilemma I had. For 2 years I was really set on buying an Audi S4 or S5, then they announced the CLA45AMG and I almost bought that. Once they announced the C400 it was very clear which one to get. I opted for more luxury over sport.
Exactly. I'm getting older and am finding myself preferring a more luxurious ride.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:04 PM

2015 C400 loaded
Exactly. I'm getting older and am finding myself preferring a more luxurious ride.
Don't get me wrong, the C400 is still a beast and handles very well. Plenty of power and I can be heavy footed at times. May not be a true sports car but when i go from comfort to sport+ its like driving two different cars and I am happy with the sports feel I am getting.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Don't get me wrong, the C400 is still a beast and handles very well. Plenty of power and I can be heavy footed at times. May not be a true sports car but when i go from comfort to sport+ its like driving two different cars and I am happy with the sports feel I am getting.
Since the subject came up, how old are you guys? At 61, I still won't give up the third pedal, but when I get to where you are, I may very well feel the same way.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:12 PM

2015 C400 loaded
LOL I'm only 39
Old 10-10-2014, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
LOL I'm only 39
Whoops...sorry. Didn't think of that as older! Want to swap? Lol!
Old 10-10-2014, 12:16 PM

2015 C400 loaded
I feel like I'm getting the short end of the stick here lol. Yeah a $65k car is not usually in reach of one my age, I am probably the target market for the CLA. What can I say, I'm ahead of the game. I wouldn't be surprised at the end of 6 years with this one that I will go for an E series AMG once they refresh it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Audi to MB dillema