C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

2015 Mercedes C300 Base Speakers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 01:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
C Class 200 sport petrol auto
I have had my C Class just over a week now and love the car EXCEPT that god awful Audio 20 sound system. Every time I get in the car I have to play with the controls in the hope that I can improve the sound but I can't.

My two kids both have cheap starter cars with better sound systems than is in this car and it really bugs the hell out of me.

Rant over!
Old 10-24-2015, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
15 E200CGI SPORT
Similar experience on my MY2014 W212. Installed an Audison AP Bit 4.9 amp and sound processor. The installation is fully plug and play as a separate harness can be purchased from Audison. Sounds way better than stock without tuning as I have yet to get my components and sub installed. This can definitely be improved without forking out an arm and a leg.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63
excuse my ignorance but is there a woofer in the rear window shelf for the standard audio system?
Old 10-25-2015, 01:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
C Class 200 sport petrol auto
No but allegedly there is a speaker built into a void in the floor but I would not get too excited as there is no quality in the sound at all.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 petrol W205
There's an 8inch in the passenger footwell
Old 10-27-2015, 03:21 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Originally Posted by getto
The speaker grills made out of aluminum. How many hi-end speaker grills have you seen that are made out of metal?

Mr. Burmeister should be ashamed of putting his name on that pice of crap audio system that is in the 2015 C300.
How about almost every high-end B&O and B&W car audio system? they all have aluminum grilles.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:45 PM

C220d Avantgarde
I have the base system in my 2015 C220d and don't have the problems mentioned in the treads. The sound is clear and there is enough base. I even reduced the amount of base in the settings menu. Maybe the point is that the system in the MY2016 model is improved, or simply the software is updated.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by topsider
How about almost every high-end B&O and B&W car audio system? they all have aluminum grilles.
Well that makes two, oops three including Burmeister
Old 10-28-2015, 09:25 AM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 CLA 250
Our old W204 C-class with the Harman Kardon premium sound had really really good bass. Very satisfying to listen to pop music with. Burmester, not so much, although I think the rest of the sound spectrum sounds decent. A car environment is very tough to get good, well balanced sound out of, but one of the guilty pleasures is that it's possible to have a lot of bass if the audio engineer puts in some basic degree of effort. That said, I am disappointed with the bass in the Burmester sound system.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:31 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Originally Posted by NovaOne
Our old W204 C-class with the Harman Kardon premium sound had really really good bass. Very satisfying to listen to pop music with. Burmester, not so much, although I think the rest of the sound spectrum sounds decent. A car environment is very tough to get good, well balanced sound out of, but one of the guilty pleasures is that it's possible to have a lot of bass if the audio engineer puts in some basic degree of effort. That said, I am disappointed with the bass in the Burmester sound system.

It's funny that people are mentioning that the Burmester has low bass, because in my car it literally blows my ears out and makes all of the mirrors shake. The bass in my C300 is the best I've ever had, even after having an aftermarket JL sub in my last car and premium HK in my 3 series before that
Old 11-08-2015, 06:20 PM

w204
Anyone knows if have a software upgrade to improve audio quality? I read something like this in motortalk.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:12 PM

2021 CLA 250
Originally Posted by topsider
It's funny that people are mentioning that the Burmester has low bass, because in my car it literally blows my ears out and makes all of the mirrors shake. The bass in my C300 is the best I've ever had, even after having an aftermarket JL sub in my last car and premium HK in my 3 series before that
I design consumer electronics for a living, including speakers. I'd say the C300 Burmester stereo has a pretty steep roll off at about 60-70Hz, not much real bass below that. It's one of the weakest systems in terms of bass I've heard, significantly inferior to the HK premium system that was in the last generation C300.

If it weren't for the fact that so many others complain about the same issue, I would have guessed that they accidentally left the subwoofer disconnected, or that my particular car has a defective stereo. Yet when I put my hands on the carpet covering the subwoofer, I do feel it vibrating. It's just very disappointing bass.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
I design consumer electronics for a living, including speakers. I'd say the C300 Burmester stereo has a pretty steep roll off at about 60-70Hz, not much real bass below that. It's one of the weakest systems in terms of bass I've heard, significantly inferior to the HK premium system that was in the last generation C300.

If it weren't for the fact that so many others complain about the same issue, I would have guessed that they accidentally left the subwoofer disconnected, or that my particular car has a defective stereo. Yet when I put my hands on the carpet covering the subwoofer, I do feel it vibrating. It's just very disappointing bass.
That's interesting. I went from the Premium HK Logic 7 system in my E350 Coupe, to the Burmester in my C300 Sport and I have to say I've had to turn the bass down on the Burmester whereas I had to increase bass on the Logic 7.

My point? I don't find the bass on the Burmester to be lacking in any way whatsoever. And as a classically trained and degreed musician, who owns Focal speakers for my home system, with Martin Logan surround and subwoofer, the Burmester, to me, is a very satisfying and incredibly natural sounding system.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:31 AM

2021 CLA 250
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
That's interesting. I went from the Premium HK Logic 7 system in my E350 Coupe, to the Burmester in my C300 Sport and I have to say I've had to turn the bass down on the Burmester whereas I had to increase bass on the Logic 7.

My point? I don't find the bass on the Burmester to be lacking in any way whatsoever. And as a classically trained and degreed musician, who owns Focal speakers for my home system, with Martin Logan surround and subwoofer, the Burmester, to me, is a very satisfying and incredibly natural sounding system.
This would trigger me to do more investigation into my car. I may have to take some equipment home with me from work to do some measurements this weekend.

In addition to designing speakers professionally, I've built car stereos in my younger days for IASCA competition. We would often joke that anything less than 10" would not qualify as a real subwoofer. But in reality, with good design and engineering, where the stereo is thought of as an integral part of the car, then 8" subwoofer is plenty go generate some good solid bass as long as you are not looking for infrasonic extension and high SPL. Some dynamic EQing and compression will invariably be used to control excursion and prevent reaching the woofer's mechanical limits. What I hear in the C300, unfortunately, is a stereo that does not sound like there is a subwoofer present. In all honesty, if the Burmester stereo in my car is functioning as designed , it would seriously damage the reputation of Burmester in my mind.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This would trigger me to do more investigation into my car. I may have to take some equipment home with me from work to do some measurements this weekend.

In addition to designing speakers professionally, I've built car stereos in my younger days for IASCA competition. We would often joke that anything less than 10" would not qualify as a real subwoofer. But in reality, with good design and engineering, where the stereo is thought of as an integral part of the car, then 8" subwoofer is plenty go generate some good solid bass as long as you are not looking for infrasonic extension and high SPL. Some dynamic EQing and compression will invariably be used to control excursion and prevent reaching the woofer's mechanical limits. What I hear in the C300, unfortunately, is a stereo that does not sound like there is a subwoofer present. In all honesty, if the Burmester stereo in my car is functioning as designed , it would seriously damage the reputation of Burmester in my mind.
You are correct, a small subwoofer, as long as it can move enough air, can be very satisfying, maybe even more accurate. My first subwoofer system (years ago) was a dual 8" powered subwoofer. It was very articulate and produced amazing bass. Alas, it died one day and had to be replaced.

I'm not hoping your system is defective, but I am surprised you feel it lacks credible bass. It's certainly not my experience and my system is hardly even broken it yet.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:27 PM

2015 C300W4 Burmeister stereo

I believe your comments are RIGHT on the $$$$.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:46 PM

2015 Mercedes-Benz C300
I have listened to both the base systems and the burmester systems in the C300. The base system is very average, but the burmesters system is very good.

I do agree the bass on both the systems is very low. Even the bass on the Burmesters is very average. But the Burmeister system is very balance. Even with bass turned up hight the bass is very clear without distortions. There is no rattling and bass does not drown out the midrange. Overall the burmester system is very balanced.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:56 AM

GLC 250
Originally Posted by vic viper
Front door mid A2058205600
Front door tweeter A2228202200
Left legroom base A2058201002
Right legroom base A2058201102
Center speaker A2058200402
Rear door mid A2058205600
Rear door tweeter A2228202200
Parcel shelf speaker A2228200602

Remember that non SA 810 (Burmester) doesnt have the right legroom base speaker as well as the parcel shelf ones.
Also unsure about the door tweeters as they are only coded with 810 in EPC, they might also only be available in Burmester systems.
So has anyone managed to successfully retrofitted the Burmester sound system in? Am interested in doing the same but not sure of its feasibility.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:21 AM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
c300
I tried installing the Focal speakers today. Much to my surprise, there's no space for the cross over box as indicated by the picture in the instructions. I was scratching my head and almost thought I'd have to abandon my project. I finally found a place to tuck in the box but couldn't secure it

Old 11-16-2015, 12:45 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 W205 C400 4Matic
I had a base C300 loaner recently that had the base speakers.. WOW.. what a huge difference the Burmester system makes. Totally worth the upgrade IMO.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:12 PM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
c300
Wish I could try that in someone's car that has Burmese so I could compare the difference. But the Focal speakers do help improve the sound, not significantly, but a bit better. What I found is that the base speakers in 328i are even worse than MB.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:48 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
Originally Posted by rbrylaw

I think we have the same experience, as i said in an earlier post my home system is quad with their iconic esl63 electrostatic speakers which give an incredibly clear uncoloured reproduction and in their day were the reference speakers for classical music lovers. However there always was criticism of their bass response due to the law of physics viz their design, metal plates moved by electrostatic charge, but coupled with a subwoofer they are as good as it gets. To my ear the burmester system lacks a lot of the colouration normally heard in traditional speaker systems and has a good clarity. It is not tiring to listen too. I like classical music so am seeking an uncoloured natural sound and the burmester fits the bill. In comparison the standard system is coloured lacking depth or weight probably becuase of the issue with lack of bass and lack of mid range detail.

However it seems many prefer a bass heavy system, i think there is plenty available, but some clearly not, but i do not think it is due to burmester being rubbish more it comes from a company trying to produce an accurate balanced reproduction not one aiming to promote the bass elements of the material. Whichever you prefer is down to personal taste just like your choice in music genre. I reiterate my view mb have downgraded the standard system to in effect achieve the actual price point they need for the profit point they need this car to make.

The more i live with the burmester the more i appreciate how good it is.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I agree with you completely. The Burmester is one of the most natural sounding car systems I've had. I guess if someone is into compressed electronic beats, it might disappoint as music like that is geared toward artificial bass to compensate for the lack of fidelity. No offense, but we've all been duped into believing MP3 music is high fidelity, when it is highly compressed, with an emphasis on bass.

I'm a classical listener too, so my Burmester is to me, very satisfying.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63
I have the Burmester system in my C63 and I think that it sounds very good. I agree that many people like an artificial amount of bass. I like the balanced sound of the B system.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:11 PM

My aftermarket audio system is not bass heavy at all. The sound quality is what the Burmeister sys should be, excellent.

My C300W4 Aftermarket custom audio system :
Focal 100KRS 4" comp spark
Illusion Audio L10 flat 10" woofer
Genesis Profile 5 5ch amplifier,
Mosconi 6to8V8 DSP

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2015 Mercedes C300 Base Speakers