C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

iPhone Integration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 09:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 C 300
iPhone Integration

So I know CarPlay isn't available yet, but what kind of iPhone integration is included in the new C Class? Siri Eyes Free? Show text messages on the screen? Use Siri over Bluetooth? Does it automatically know the latest address book on my phone without having to load them onto the car?

I'm really debating whether or not to wait for CarPlay, but if there is decent integration already I may not wait around.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:49 AM
nnk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205
Siri Eyes Free: No
Show text messages on the screen: yes, for iMessage & sms
Siri over Bluetooth: yes, but you'll have to initiate it by pressing the home-button on your iPhone
Does it automatically know the latest address book on my phone without having to load them onto the car: yes

And it;
- allows you to use your iPhone as a data connection for (a few ) apps / Internet on audio 20
- play music over Bluetooth

(I do have the media interface, I do not have Comand)
Old 11-03-2014, 07:35 AM

2015 C 300
Originally Posted by nnk
Siri Eyes Free: No
Siri over Bluetooth: yes, but you'll have to initiate it by pressing the home-button on your iPhone
Does it automatically know the latest address book on my phone without having to load them onto the car: yes

And it;
- allows you to use your iPhone as a data connection for (a few ) apps / Internet on audio 20
- play music over Bluetooth

(I do have the media interface, I do not have Comand)
Thanks! One other question. Can I control Podcasts (pause, play, select a new one) through the car?
Old 11-03-2014, 08:36 AM

2015 c400 4Matic
Originally Posted by richardamp
Thanks! One other question. Can I control Podcasts (pause, play, select a new one) through the car?
I can in my W205. Acts just like any audio track -- but I have a Windows Phone not an iPhone. No jokes needed.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:50 AM
nnk

W205
Audio only? Yes. Or does a podcast also have video? (sorry, i don't use podcasts myself ...)
Old 11-03-2014, 09:14 AM

2015 C 300
Originally Posted by nnk
Audio only? Yes. Or does a podcast also have video? (sorry, i don't use podcasts myself ...)
Yes, audio only. I assumed you could stream them, but wasn't sure if you can see the various Podcasts from your phone on the car's screen and navigate from one Podcast to another. Podcasts are the thing I listen too most in my car so this is important to me.

For all the integrations mentioned in this thread, is it all done via bluetooth or does it have to be plugged in via USB for some of these functions to work?
Old 11-03-2014, 09:19 AM
nnk

W205
Works fine through Bluetooth ....
Old 11-03-2014, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,120 Likes on 732 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by WCBenzDrvr
I can in my W205. Acts just like any audio track -- but I have a Windows Phone not an iPhone. No jokes needed.
You have a windows phone simply because you are smarter than the average bear! I wish I had one. But my cell phone provider only has crappy ones. Apple phones are bunk for the cult masses. Androids are simply a stop gap, but a phone that works seamlessly with my computer and tablet, now that's a phone!

One operating system to rule them all, One Operating system to find them, One operating system to bring them all and in the darkness bind them!
WIndows!
Old 11-03-2014, 12:13 PM

B200T
Originally Posted by c4004matic
You have a windows phone simply because you are smarter than the average bear! I wish I had one. But my cell phone provider only has crappy ones. Apple phones are bunk for the cult masses. Androids are simply a stop gap, but a phone that works seamlessly with my computer and tablet, now that's a phone!

One operating system to rule them all, One Operating system to find them, One operating system to bring them all and in the darkness bind them!
WIndows!
My Android phone and tablet works seamlessly with my computers (Windows 7 and another Windows 8). Did have to set up Google Drive on my PCs, but it wasn't a biggie.
But yeah, I agree about the iPhones: nothing fundamentally wrong with them, as they are ok in every category, but just that: ok. There's also the fear, I think, that Apple (or the Apple forums) instill in their users that other platforms cannot talk to each other, and all the music that was purchased will be lost, playlists will be lost, etc., which simply aren't true.
My friend just got rid of her iPhone 5S when her contract came up for renewal, and after a week of getting used to it and customizing it, she wondered why she didn't do it sooner, as she can do a lot more things now, camera is a lot better most of the time (although sometimes not as good when it's dark) and doesn't need to charge her phone until she goes to sleep.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:40 PM
nnk

W205
I think I'd like my iPhone (6) more if my w205 had CarPlay :-/
Old 11-03-2014, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by nnk
I think I'd like my iPhone (6) more if my w205 had CarPlay :-/
Its on its way.. it will be just a software upgrade (I believe). I also think there will be an android version.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by mihaelb
My Android phone and tablet works seamlessly with my computers (Windows 7 and another Windows 8). Did have to set up Google Drive on my PCs, but it wasn't a biggie.
But yeah, I agree about the iPhones: nothing fundamentally wrong with them, as they are ok in every category, but just that: ok. There's also the fear, I think, that Apple (or the Apple forums) instill in their users that other platforms cannot talk to each other, and all the music that was purchased will be lost, playlists will be lost, etc., which simply aren't true.
My friend just got rid of her iPhone 5S when her contract came up for renewal, and after a week of getting used to it and customizing it, she wondered why she didn't do it sooner, as she can do a lot more things now, camera is a lot better most of the time (although sometimes not as good when it's dark) and doesn't need to charge her phone until she goes to sleep.
Ive never been very happy with android with windows it kind a patch up , band aid type of thing. With windows 8 your phone, tablet and computer are essentially the same device. Im not a fan of clouds however, simply another way to make more money from your data. Given that computers have such enormous and cheap data capacities why should you? You can buy multiple terabytes of storage space for pennies. That is hundreds of thousands of photos, 100s of movies, billions of pages of text data. Additionally I want my data in my possession.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:47 PM
nnk

W205
Its on its way.. it will be just a software upgrade (I believe). I also think there will be an android version.
I have read that too and hope you/the press are right. However, I still have to receive the firmware upgrade to enable WAP, promised by Motorola mid 2000, on my L7089 triband gsm ;-)
Old 11-03-2014, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by nnk
I have read that too and hope you/the press are right. However, I still have to receive the firmware upgrade to enable WAP, promised by Motorola mid 2000, on my L7089 triband gsm ;-)
Not surprised
Old 11-03-2014, 10:05 PM

B200T
Saw a list somewhere a few months ago saying that Mercedes is only working with Apple on Carplay, and not on Android Auto, but this list, as of July this year, says that they ARE working with both, so good news for competition and choice

http://www.beyonddevic.es/2014/07/02...rplay-support/

And, yes, it is just software, I think. I bet the systems are already prepped for CarPlay (as there's a Youtube video showing them testing it in the C), and the feature just needs enabling. Android Auto, maybe not (at least not this year's C class audio system), as it came a few months after CarPlay, I think.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:09 PM

B200T
Ive never been very happy with android with windows it kind a patch up , band aid type of thing. With windows 8 your phone, tablet and computer are essentially the same device. Im not a fan of clouds however, simply another way to make more money from your data. Given that computers have such enormous and cheap data capacities why should you? You can buy multiple terabytes of storage space for pennies. That is hundreds of thousands of photos, 100s of movies, billions of pages of text data. Additionally I want my data in my possession.
I wouldn't say band-aid, but yeah, definitely not without a little effort/user intervention.

The cloud is a good way to sync everything up, and prevent loss. There is no privacy these days, I don't think, so I don't even try. If someone wants to follow me around on my boring life, let them. If they want to look through my pictures of squirrels, sure, why not. The convenience of everything syncing up automatically and even automatically predicting what I need/may be interested-in based on my behavior and emails is pretty nice
Old 11-04-2014, 10:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
For what it's worth, my dealer said the CarPlay will likely be like their current iphone media kit plus, an add on at the dealer which isn't a simple one, it's a kit and in other models requires some dash tear down.

I emailed MBUSA and they said simply 'CarPlay is not a feature that we will offer on the 2015 C Class".

Who knows?? I'd like to think they'd come up with a way to make more. Only off of us with a retrofit of some sort.

That said, the car integrated pretty well as it is.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:06 PM

2015 C 300
Originally Posted by nnk
Do you have to turn on a certain setting to have iMessages appear on the screen? I have an iPhone 6 connected via Bluetooth but when I get texts they don't appear on the screen.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:29 AM
nnk

W205
Do you have to turn on a certain setting to have iMessages appear on the screen? I have an iPhone 6 connected via Bluetooth but when I get texts they don't appear on the screen.
Check your Bluetooth connection (to your car) settings, on your iPhone and turn 'show notifications' on ...
Old 12-25-2014, 06:35 AM

2015 C 300
Originally Posted by nnk
Check your Bluetooth connection (to your car) settings, on your iPhone and turn 'show notifications' on ...
Thanks. Where is the "show notifications" setting on the car? All other Bluetooth functions seem to be working just fine.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:46 AM
nnk

W205
Thanks. Where is the "show notifications" setting on the car? All other Bluetooth functions seem to be working just fine.
It is a setting in your iPhone (not car):
Go to settings, Bluetooth, click the litte 'I' next to the connection to your car and make sure that 'show notifications' is on.

To use it, click the 'telephone' button on your audio 20 system/car middle-console, select telephone, click the "back" button on your car 'mouse' thingy and select the little envelope that show at the bottom of the screen. (All from memory, so my apologies if I missed a step anywhere, but you should be able to figure it out with this ...)
Old 12-25-2014, 07:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S205
I have Audio 20 only. (No Comand)

Can you play music apps, such as internet radio, spotify etc via an Iphone?

if this is possible, is it via bluetooth or tethered cable?

I am not happy with the sound quality via bluetooth, so I was trying to see if i could connect my android based phone (Samsung Galaxy S3) via one of the USB slots. But the car will not recognize the phone in any way via USB.

I also set the phone up to act as a hotspot, and was able to play the few Mercedes Apps available, inkl. Mercedes Radio.(via Bluetooth)

As far as i could figure out,(i hope i am wrong) it was not possible to play apps, such as spotify or internet radio via the bluetooth connection. This is a big dissapointment! I was expecticing to be able to do this via the USB port. Not being able to do it via Bluetooth either, would a major drawback in my book.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:18 AM
nnk

W205
Originally Posted by Eilers
I have Audio 20 only. (No Comand)

Can you play music apps, such as internet radio, spotify etc via an Iphone?

* Yes

if this is possible, is it via bluetooth or tethered cable?

* either

I am not happy with the sound quality via bluetooth, so I was trying to see if i could connect my android based phone (Samsung Galaxy S3) via one of the USB slots. But the car will not recognize the phone in any way via USB.

* it took me a few times to get my (i)Phone recognized; you need to select it once (and have the media cable/package)

I also set the phone up to act as a hotspot, and was able to play the few Mercedes Apps available, inkl. Mercedes Radio.

As far as i could figure out,(i hope i am wrong) it was not possible to play apps, such as spotify or internet radio via the bluetooth connection. This is a big dissapointment! I was expecticing to be able to do this via the USB port. Not being able to do it via Bluetooth either, would a major drawback in my book.

* it does work for me (through Bluetooth though; I haven't tested that through the cable), but you need to get the app to start playing on your phone first. Hit pause and then use your merc's audio 20 system to 'unpause'
Feedback in your note above ...
Old 12-27-2014, 01:08 PM

2015 C 300
Originally Posted by nnk
It is a setting in your iPhone (not car):
Go to settings, Bluetooth, click the litte 'I' next to the connection to your car and make sure that 'show notifications' is on.
Wow, thanks, I don't think I would have ever found that option on my phone.

One more question for you...is it possible to search through you music when streaming iphone via Bluetooth? I see a "search" button when it's plugged into USB but not when connected via Bluetooth.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:38 PM
nnk

W205
Wow, thanks, I don't think I would have ever found that option on my phone.

One more question for you...is it possible to search through you music when streaming iphone via Bluetooth? I see a "search" button when it's plugged into USB but not when connected via Bluetooth.
* Yes. (Edit: No)

Last edited by nnk; 12-29-2014 at 01:20 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: iPhone Integration