C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Reliabilty????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 726 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Other than the self-described "straw man" for the sake of the point, what specifically are you claiming is false?

Enlarging sample size does not reduce bias. Specifically note the problem and solution explanation at the end of the linked article.

http://stattrek.com/survey-research/survey-bias.aspx

If I have n=1,000 of 100% email contact respondents, the bias associated with email survey vs. paper mail survey is the same if I increase to n=10,000, but of the same sample design. I would reduce bias by modifying the methodology, even with the same sample size. There is a central tendency of the mean, and larger sample does reduce variance and make for a more robust analysis when seeking significance.
You are saying that surveys are inherently statistically unreliable because they are inherently biased in one way or another, that is factually incorrect. There is a whole field of statistics who's purpose is to minimize survey bias.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by c4004matic
You are saying that surveys are inherently statistically unreliable because they are inherently biased in one way or another, that is factually incorrect. There is a whole field of statistics who's purpose is to minimize survey bias.
No, that's not what I am saying, actually the opposite. As the my prior comment responded to another post, I took their concern to the extreme to demonstrate the fallacy....a common basic debate technique. My second paragraph opened on the point that the prior technique was a "straw man"...set up to be knocked down. I work in the market research industry. I could hardly take the point you inferred.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 726 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Sportstick
No, that's not what I am saying, actually the opposite. As the my prior comment responded to another post, I took their concern to the extreme to demonstrate the fallacy....a common basic debate technique. My second paragraph opened on the point that the prior technique was a "straw man"...set up to be knocked down. I work in the market research industry. I could hardly take the point you inferred.
My bad
Old 11-04-2014, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by c4004matic
My bad
Glad we worked it through...a good example of level-headed discussion on both sides which lead to mutual understanding....a great result on a forum!
Old 11-04-2014, 08:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by dreamerak
You, can do what ever you want, As I said, I want a German car, maybe a C class,that's why I'm here. Have fun on the Mazda boards. Drove the Mazda 6(rental), I'm sorry, but no, don't believe everything you read, including CR, You do know that automotive journalism is a business, right?

I've also driven a (much older) Mazda 6. And if you feel it wasn't sporty, then you and I have very different opinions about what makes a car enjoyable.

I enjoy my C quite a bit but am not blind to its faults. Perhaps one day you'll be able to do the same, once you're actually an MB owner....
Old 11-04-2014, 08:16 PM

2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by mihaelb
Oh, and I can certainly attest to something I read a few years back: if you put a Mazda in one of those quiet rooms used for recording music (the ones with foam on the walls), and you listen carefully, you can actually hear a Mazda rusting.
So whichever of these two publications gave Mazda a good rating for reliability isn't worth the paper it's printed on or webspace that it's taking up

Funny you should mention Mazdas rusting, since people have apparently complained of the same issue w/ MBs from the late 1990s:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w208...del-years.html
Old 11-04-2014, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B200T
Originally Posted by alsyli
Funny you should mention Mazdas rusting, since people have apparently complained of the same issue w/ MBs from the late 1990s:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w208...del-years.html
Yeah, my 2008 B also got rust on the doors in its 4th year, but that was remedied by MB due to a known manufacturing defect.
I just have higher expectations out of an expensive German brand than a Japanese mid-range (brand wise) one. But I still expect cars to last a certain amount of time without major issues, or rusting. Even the Mazdas.

Last edited by mihaelb; 11-04-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLA 250
I've also driven a (much older) Mazda 6. And if you feel it wasn't sporty, then you and I have very different opinions about what makes a car enjoyable.
Given your choice of the C250, I agree 100%

I enjoy my C quite a bit but am not blind to its faults. Perhaps one day you'll be able to do the same, once you're actually an MB owner....
All cars have faults, I thought everyone knew this?
Old 11-05-2014, 01:02 AM

2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by mihaelb
I just have higher expectations out of an expensive German brand than a Japanese mid-range (brand wise) one. But I still expect cars to last a certain amount of time without major issues, or rusting. Even the Mazdas.
No, I agree, for the price one pays for a Benz, it makes sense to expect more. I wish Benz delivered more often, in that respect....

Given your choice of the C250, I agree 100%
These will be my final statements to you specifically, since you obviously choose to engage at a juvenile level.

If you had been posting here longer, you would know that I don't find the C250 Sport to be at all sporty. I've said so many times in this forum and the W204 forum.

All cars have faults, I thought everyone knew this?
I assume you would know better than most since you choose to drive a crude yet expensive variant of what is, at its core, a cheap economy car.

Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by alsyli; 11-05-2014 at 01:32 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLA 250

These will be my final statements to you specifically, since you obviously choose to engage at a juvenile level.

If you had been posting here longer, you would know that I don't find the C250 Sport to be at all sporty. I've said so many times in this forum and the W204 forum.

I assume you would know better than most since you choose to drive a crude yet expensive variant of what is, at its core, a cheap economy car.

Different strokes for different folks.
You call me juvenile, then write the above?...

Last edited by dreamerak; 11-05-2014 at 09:46 AM.