C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Using navigation from mobile phone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2014 | 02:11 AM

C300 4Matic 2015
Using navigation from mobile phone

From what I understand, currently it is not possible to use navigation from any mobile phone, with any package?

Does anyone have any information for that being possible in the future? CarPlay was mentioned, but I cannot find any actual details. Drive Kit is available for CLA and other models, but not for C300/C400. Android/MirrorLink?

I am wondering, if any of those are released soon, are they going to be applicable to the C300/C400 currently being sold? Is it going to be just a software update, a dealer installed add-on, or something that would require that a special package was bought in the first place (like Multimedia Package with Comand)

Any confirmed information would be awesome!
Old 11-09-2014 | 04:03 AM
nnk

W205
Originally Posted by Sarmun
From what I understand, currently it is not possible to use navigation from any mobile phone, with any package?

Does anyone have any information for that being possible in the future? CarPlay was mentioned, but I cannot find any actual details. Drive Kit is available for CLA and other models, but not for C300/C400. Android/MirrorLink?

I am wondering, if any of those are released soon, are they going to be applicable to the C300/C400 currently being sold? Is it going to be just a software update, a dealer installed add-on, or something that would require that a special package was bought in the first place (like Multimedia Package with Comand)

Any confirmed information would be awesome!
Not available now (in Europe) .... Possibly later next year in combination with CarPlay or the Android counterpart ....

Mercedes is vague on what will become available when .... and what is required to make 'older' ;-) W205 models compatible ....

Last edited by nnk; 11-09-2014 at 04:06 AM.
Old 11-20-2014 | 07:24 PM

2015 C300
Yeah, I'm interested in this too. What's CarPlay?
Old 11-20-2014 | 09:00 PM

B200T
Originally Posted by seanvree
Yeah, I'm interested in this too. What's CarPlay?
CarPlay runs apps in a car-friendly (read: big icons, big controls) manner right on the car's screen. Same with Android Auto. Basically letting (some) apps from your phone be displayed (again, in a car/driving-friendly manner) on the car's display.

Mercedes is supposedly working on integrating both into their cars. There is a test C class (W205) with CarPlay on Youtube, which suggests that CarPlay will come first to the Mercedes. But there is no guarantee, and no-one knows whether it will be possible to apply it retroactively to the systems that are currently being sold in the Mercedes vehicles via a software patch or not.

Personally, I'm not that crazy about the Apple system, as they are forcing car manufacturers to use it as-is, and the appearance of it looks rather childish, and out of place with the Mercedes elegant interior. Functionality-wise, it's still too early to compare one system to another.

Android Auto:
Apple CarPlay: