C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Airmatic - must have or no?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 07:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
Originally Posted by A Odman
I think this is just human nature. Of course everyone wants to defend their choices, it would almost be strange otherwise since no one wants to have spent money on something that in the end was unnecessary. I am the same way, though I already have placed my order I'm still reading reviews and forum posts trying to find threads to justify my personal decision.

It is very hard to choose what to order, I had the same difficulties just a week ago. I drove 2 test cars, one with comfort steel suspension and one with airmatic and I wrote down my thoughts here earlier in the thread. I can say that I wished that I didnt feel any diference at all since I will drive in comfort mode 99% of the time. So had I not felt any difference I would have stayed with steel springs. I also wrote that the difference might just have been in my mind, since what I am looking for is that extra little comfort to make my every day driving more comfortable. I will ultimately have to agree with other members, it comes down to what you experience and what your requirements are, so go and testdrive it for yourself. Take a weekend trip and go to a dealer that has both sets of cars that you want to try out.

One thing I opted for thanks to this forum was the acoustic glass windows. I had no idea you could even choose this and neither did my dealer. This is because my personal aim/goal with the car is to have it as smooth, comfortable and quiet as possible. Might even be so that the different glass makes a bigger difference then the suspension in the end when it comes to me .

Felt I was ranting there for a while, my conclusion is this. I opted airmatic cause I felt a difference, real or not I can not say. Had I not I would have ordered comfort steel suspension cause it's cheaper. But mentally if feels good to have ordered the system that should give you a more advanced suspension system. The extra value of having 4 different settings and keeping the car leveled when heavily loaded, that it lowers it self at highspeed, theese are for me small things that finally made me decide for airmatic.
Super thoughtful reply. First question is which country are you in with the acoustic glass option? I don't think we get that here

Good info on comfort or the air suspension. It's my top 2 contenders if I get a C. I'm really trying to make it happen in CY 2014.

I disagree on it being "normal for people to have to defend their choices". Sure, it's normal to explain what they choose and why, exactly like you did No offense meant: It's usually (but not always) men, with shortcomings (physical or mental) who would be defensive about something they didn't make, paint, style, design, or have anything to do with, except to pick from a handful of options and buy.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:52 AM

A180 / On order S205
I live in Sweden so the car will be built down in Germany. There is no MB factories in Sweden.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,095 Likes on 723 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
I think this is just human nature. Of course everyone wants to defend their choices, it would almost be strange otherwise since no one wants to have spent money on something that in the end was unnecessary. I am the same way, though I already have placed my order I'm still reading reviews and forum posts trying to find threads to justify my personal decision.

It is very hard to choose what to order, I had the same difficulties just a week ago. I drove 2 test cars, one with comfort steel suspension and one with airmatic and I wrote down my thoughts here earlier in the thread. I can say that I wished that I didnt feel any diference at all since I will drive in comfort mode 99% of the time. So had I not felt any difference I would have stayed with steel springs. I also wrote that the difference might just have been in my mind, since what I am looking for is that extra little comfort to make my every day driving more comfortable. I will ultimately have to agree with other members, it comes down to what you experience and what your requirements are, so go and testdrive it for yourself. Take a weekend trip and go to a dealer that has both sets of cars that you want to try out.

One thing I opted for thanks to this forum was the acoustic glass windows. I had no idea you could even choose this and neither did my dealer. This is because my personal aim/goal with the car is to have it as smooth, comfortable and quiet as possible. Might even be so that the different glass makes a bigger difference then the suspension in the end when it comes to me .

Felt I was ranting there for a while, my conclusion is this. I opted airmatic cause I felt a difference, real or not I can not say. Had I not I would have ordered comfort steel suspension cause it's cheaper. But mentally if feels good to have ordered the system that should give you a more advanced suspension system. The extra value of having 4 different settings and keeping the car leveled when heavily loaded, that it lowers it self at highspeed, theese are for me small things that finally made me decide for airmatic.

Your not nuts, there is a difference it just not huge. For a similar price as the panoramic roof its a steal. It seems like many around here are simply interested on the softest smoothest ride, for those it may not. But the fact still stands that if you want a suspension that can go, from smoothest to firmest airmatic is a good deal. If cost of repair is a concern an extended warranty, will cover that nicely.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
I live in Sweden so the car will be built down in Germany. There is no MB factories in Sweden.
I think your add on of the acoustic glass is cool. Should make an already quiet car even more so. Our C class (and many other makes and models here) come with glass made by parent company AGC automotive, and while they have an acoustic glass (Link below), MBUSA didn't add it to our list of possibilities.

Seems to cut sound right around the range of wind, cars passing. Wouldn't help with lower frequency engine/road noise. We get tempered, which isn't shown on the graph, but not far off of regular laminated.

http://www.agc-automotive.com/englis...cts/sound.html

Last edited by floridadriver; 12-25-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:13 PM
MBW Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Page Coverage

We thought this conversation needed to be taken to the front page...
https://mbworld.org/articles/airmati...s-help-needed/
Old 01-07-2015, 09:48 PM

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 E 300 Coupe and 2019 GLS 400
I've tried air suspension on American cars, Cadillac Escalade, Lincoln town car. Never on German cars, currently I have the W210 E55 AMG with the conventional steel shocks/springs.
IMHO I prefer steel springs due to:
-Easy to fix/replace
-Cheap
-very simple design
- Maybe old school handling? Feel the car sticks better to the road.

The w210 for example has a known defect where rust attacks the spring perch, which causes the spring to go flying around> very very dangerous and very scary.
Hopefully I won't need to deal with this.

However, In terms of comfort I'll take air suspension any time of the day, also good for carrying heavy stuff.

Faiz
Old 01-25-2015, 03:04 PM

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts
MB W213 E300 4MATIC Luxury Model
Airmatic

Anyone with airmatic on a C300 with 17" wheels. I placed my order on Friday but didn't order this but was interested since I didn't like the luxury grill and brown with the being interior in order to get the comfort suspension
Old 01-25-2015, 04:29 PM

'13 VW Touareg, '15 Harley Ultra Limited, '15 C300 Spt, '14 Airstream Interstate, '16 VW Tiguan
I tried out all 3 steel suspension setups and was very impressed with the standard and luxury setup however IMO the sport suspension was much harsher than I liked. I did want the sport package because of the styling and it opened up some interior options that I wanted, (Cranberry Red/Black leather, open pore black ash). For this reason I wound up ordering mine with Airmatic but stuck to the 18" wheels. I plan to own the car for 5 to 7 years so I will definitely opt for a 7/100 extended warranty which I have a quote on for ~$2,890.00.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:14 PM

2015 C300 4MATIC with Sport Package, Premium, Multimedia, Panorama Roof, Black Ash, & Blind Spot
IMO the sport package is too harsh. I wish I would have gotten Airmatic. I even asked the MB Service Rep if it could be added to it now but only from factory. He states others have complained about ride too. I have back and side pains that linger after driving it for more than a 1/2hr. When I'm talking to someone on the phone or in the car I stutter due to the ride. I'm in Vegas so the roads are usually not that bad. Sometimes it feels as if the wheels are directly attached to the chassis with no suspension like a shopping cart. The highway is fine but if it's uneven the car sways up and down like a boat. The streets must be perfect where I test drove it as it didn't seem that bad. Then again I didn't test drive mine as it was from the showroom floor. I notice since I got mine on 12/31 that the dealers haven't sold a sport package since. In fact at the time they had way more base than sport and now almost have more sport than base. Around here the dealers won't order Airmatic for their lots. They even discourage me from it when I asked. Seen other post similar comments too. Only way to get it is to order it like everyone else on here. Almost every member has it listed as an option. Not sure if non run flats will help or after market shocks. Service Rep thinks it's dumb to do either. He is right but he isn't the one driving it in discomfort and pain for the next three years.......

Last edited by bacardi73; 01-25-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Originally Posted by bacardi73
IMO the sport package is too harsh. I wish I would have gotten Airmatic. I even asked the MB Service Rep if it could be added to it now but only from factory. He states others have complained about ride too. I have back and side pains that linger after driving it for more than a 1/2hr. When I'm talking to someone on the phone or in the car I stutter due to the ride.
None of the steel suspension setups are soft, including the Comfort and the base. All can feel harsh over broken pavement and potholes, although the Sport is certainly the least compliant of the bunch. My compromise was the base with 18" tires ... not quite as sharp as the Sport, but also not quite as stiff. I did spend some time in a C300 Sport and, although I have a sensitive back and the ride was not as smooth as the base, I really can't say I was ever uncomfortable in it. Are you sure your seats are set up properly? There are a lot of adjustments in there, and it does take some time to find your sweet spot.

The run flat tires don't help the ride either, but non-run flat tires will require an inflation kit in the trunk, or a wait for roadside service, in case of a flat. Right now I'm running on non-run flat snow tires and, quite frankly, don't notice a significant difference in the ride quality.

I think that if a soft ride is a priority, the Airmatic probably would have been the best suspension choice.

Last edited by StanNH; 01-25-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:36 PM

'13 VW Touareg, '15 Harley Ultra Limited, '15 C300 Spt, '14 Airstream Interstate, '16 VW Tiguan
IMO the sport package is too harsh. I wish I would have gotten Airmatic. I even asked the MB Service Rep if it could be added to it now but only from factory. He states others have complained about ride too. I have back and side pains that linger after driving it for more than a 1/2hr. When I'm talking to someone on the phone or in the car I stutter due to the ride. I'm in Vegas so the roads are usually not that bad. Sometimes it feels as if the wheels are directly attached to the chassis with no suspension like a shopping cart. The highway is fine but if it's uneven the car sways up and down like a boat. The streets must be perfect where I test drove it as it didn't seem that bad. Then again I didn't test drive mine as it was from the showroom floor. I notice since I got mine on 12/31 that the dealers haven't sold a sport package since. In fact at the time they had way more base than sport and now almost have more sport than base. Around here the dealers won't order Airmatic for their lots. They even discourage me from it when I asked. Seen other post similar comments too. Only way to get it is to order it like everyone else on here. Almost every member has it listed as an option. Not sure if non run flats will help or after market shocks. Service Rep thinks it's dumb to do either. He is right but he isn't the one driving it in discomfort and pain for the next three years.......
My dealer tried to talk me out of Airmatic too but I drove one and it works fine. As long as you buy an extended warranty, Mercedes will have to own it and whatever maladies it suffers. I believe you're correct on tires. Comfort oriented non-runflat tires will provide a better ride but being as you won't have a spare you will need to carry tire sealant and a 12v compressor (no big deal) Inflation pressure can make a large difference too but you have to be carefull of excess wear carrying the wrong pressure. On my Harley Triglide the mfg recommends 26psi in the rears but according to John Lehman of Lehman Trikes (the authority) 20 - 21 psi is safe and yields a far better ride. I inflated mine to 21psi for the last 4 years with no problems and a much more comfortable ride.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:07 PM

2015 C300 4MATIC with Sport Package, Premium, Multimedia, Panorama Roof, Black Ash, & Blind Spot
StanNH - Unfortunately I have tried different settings on the seats and still the same. It's not that I wanted a comfy ride as I know a sport type suspension will be firm. Yet you can have firm and comfort. It's just that IMO MB made it too firm. Reminds more and more of a Nissan 370 as far as firmness of suspension. I had a base BMW 328i 2012 prior and it wasn't like this and other's complain of firmness on bimmers. Now I never drove a Msport or a Sportline 328i but I did drive an M235i and it wasn't this bad.

c21bill - Yeah I have deflated the tires from the dealer 42psi to the 36psi listed on Gas tank door. Same issue.

I forgot to mention that now the dash rattles sometimes from the harsh suspension. IDK maybe there is something wrong with just my car. Not sure if it's possible to have a faulty suspension where it is more rough than others and not just broken.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:57 PM

2015 C300 RWD
Unfortunately MBUSA is assigning the builds for USA dealers, not the dealer themselves, unless the car has been sold/deposit.

Therefore, airmatic is far and few between. And of course, the dealers will try and sell what they have, and talk you out of what they don't have. $$.

Last edited by floridadriver; 01-25-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by floridadriver
Unfortunately MBUSA is assigning the builds for USA dealers, not the dealer themselves, unless the car has been sold/deposit.

Therefore, airmatic is far and few between. And of course, the dealers will try and sell what they have, and talk you out of what they don't have. $$.
Hopefully I can still add airmatic to my order tomorrow because I was not completely sold on the ride quality of the base model with 17" wheels. I had to get rid of my 2003 G 500 after only 2 years because it was too harsh.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:37 AM

Mercedes C300, BMW X5
Originally Posted by kingscorpian27
Hopefully I can still add airmatic to my order tomorrow because I was not completely sold on the ride quality of the base model with 17" wheels. I had to get rid of my 2003 G 500 after only 2 years because it was too harsh.
Perhaps, the C is not the car for you. European suspension setup tends to lean toward firm but muted. That means you will get some road feel but not enough to cause uncomfortable.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by solarflare
Perhaps, the C is not the car for you. European suspension setup tends to lean toward firm but muted. That means you will get some road feel but not enough to cause uncomfortable.
That I am aware of, I've had other MB before
Old 01-26-2015, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by c21bill
My dealer tried to talk me out of Airmatic too but I drove one and it works fine. As long as you buy an extended warranty, Mercedes will have to own it and whatever maladies it suffers. I believe you're correct on tires. Comfort oriented non-runflat tires will provide a better ride but being as you won't have a spare you will need to carry tire sealant and a 12v compressor (no big deal) Inflation pressure can make a large difference too but you have to be carefull of excess wear carrying the wrong pressure. On my Harley Triglide the mfg recommends 26psi in the rears but according to John Lehman of Lehman Trikes (the authority) 20 - 21 psi is safe and yields a far better ride. I inflated mine to 21psi for the last 4 years with no problems and a much more comfortable ride.
My dealer also told me today that he would not recommend it because there are known issue the this system on other models. He also said he has not driven a C with the system but he has done so on the E and S. He said there is definitely a difference on those model but was unable to confirm from personal experience with the C. Everyone who has responded is driving a Sport package equipped car.Anyone with a C300 17" wheels and Airmatic suspension?
Old 01-26-2015, 05:31 PM

2015 C300 RWD
My dealer also told me today that he would not recommend it because there are known issue the this system on other models. He also said he has not driven a C with the system but he has done so on the E and S. He said there is definitely a difference on those model but was unable to confirm from personal experience with the C. Everyone who has responded is driving a Sport package equipped car.Anyone with a C300 17" wheels and Airmatic suspension?
Consider the source. The dealers are selling what they have and talking you out of what they can't get. If they only had airmatic, I'd bet your dealer would tell you airmatic is a MUST have.

The dealers don't pick which stock cars they're getting, and MBUSA isn't sending out many airmatic cars.

Most here will recommend you personally test drive them and see if you appreciate the differences. More money down the road in maintence? Maybe. Same could be said of electric windows and many luxuries. On,y you can research and decide what's worth it.

Last edited by floridadriver; 01-26-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by floridadriver
Consider the source. The dealers are selling what they have and talking you out of what they can't get. If they only had airmatic, I'd bet your dealer would tell you airmatic is a MUST have.

The dealers don't pick which stock cars they're getting, and MBUSA isn't sending out many airmatic cars.

Most here will recommend you personally test drive them and see if you appreciate the differences. More money down the road in maintence? Maybe. Same could be said of electric windows and many luxuries. On,y you can research and decide what's worth it.
I plan to test drive at another dealer since he didn't have one for me to. I just placed the order last Friday so I doubt he is trying to sell me. He also made a very good point about not getting the 18" over the 17" because it would decrease the ride comfort by about 20%, easier to get damaged since there is less rubber and also more costly to replace. That would have been more money for him likewise the airmatic.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:13 AM

2013 C class Coupe 250 CDI
StanNH - Unfortunately I have tried different settings on the seats and still the same. It's not that I wanted a comfy ride as I know a sport type suspension will be firm. Yet you can have firm and comfort. It's just that IMO MB made it too firm. Reminds more and more of a Nissan 370 as far as firmness of suspension. I had a base BMW 328i 2012 prior and it wasn't like this and other's complain of firmness on bimmers. Now I never drove a Msport or a Sportline 328i but I did drive an M235i and it wasn't this bad.

c21bill - Yeah I have deflated the tires from the dealer 42psi to the 36psi listed on Gas tank door. Same issue.

I forgot to mention that now the dash rattles sometimes from the harsh suspension. IDK maybe there is something wrong with just my car. Not sure if it's possible to have a faulty suspension where it is more rough than others and not just broken.

BMW have been experiencing with Run flat tires for a couple of generations now and have fine tuned their chassis to accommodate run flats. previous generation 3 series was criticised for its harsh ride and was generally accepted that run flats were to blame. BMW did work with some tire manufacturers to find a good compromise and they did with F30 in my opinion
Old 01-27-2015, 10:23 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
I plan to test drive at another dealer since he didn't have one for me to. I just placed the order last Friday so I doubt he is trying to sell me. He also made a very good point about not getting the 18" over the 17" because it would decrease the ride comfort by about 20%, easier to get damaged since there is less rubber and also more costly to replace. That would have been more money for him likewise the airmatic.

I think the 18s looks right on the car and coupled with Airmatic, the ride is going to be excellent. I have the Airmatic with the 19s and it does an excellent job, it is very comfortable, so I can imagine the 18s would be even more so.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:32 AM

2015 C400 loaded
Took my car in for mid-service today and they gave me a C300 loaner without airmatic, boy am I glad I got the airmatic now. I didn't like the feel of it
Old 01-27-2015, 10:33 AM

2015 C300 RWD
17" more forgiving than 18", but I'm not sure where he's getting the 20% data from. I'm sure your dealer doesn't have issues with airmatic in the S class (as that's all it comes with), or maybe he doesn't recommend anyone buying the S class for the suspension concerns.

I think you're doing the right thing going to a different dealer to test drive the different suspensions and get opinions of your very own, and IMO you should take any and all "advice" from sales person minimally into consideration.

Last edited by floridadriver; 01-27-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:24 AM

Mercedes C300, BMW X5
That I am aware of, I've had other MB before
So is the new C class stiffer in the default suspension than other MB? I never tested e class. I remember that GLK feels stiffer than ML. I always have the impression C is sportier of the MB family and often stiffer. The e class gets better. s class gets silky smith once you optioned it right. The question is still valid. Is C the right car?
Old 01-27-2015, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
I actually think the AMG line C Class I drove is better sprung/more comfortable than the E Class coupe I tried some time ago. I didn't buy the e class coupe because I found the suspension a bit thumpy over rough road. The c Class was much more supple but still stiff enough for some fun.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Airmatic - must have or no?