C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Garmin Map Pilot In Canada

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w205
Garmin Map Pilot In Canada

I received my c300 here in Canada a few weeks ago, and after googling a little bit, I realized that there is a 'Garmin Map Pilot' option for our US cousins. I thought the Canadian version and US version were exactly alike (and probably are) however this option is not offered in Canada.

So my questions are:

1) Does anyone in the USA have Garmin Map Pilot, does it have maps for Canada (usually maps are for NorthAmerica for those border states inhabitants).

2) I am tempted to pick up an SDCard from a MB dealer in a US border town next time I go through, but ebay adds keep talking about a requirement for option code 355. I think this is the pre-wiring that comes standard, but can't find any info on it. Anyone know what this is ?

3) Anyone know if Garmin Map Pilot will ever be offered in Canada ?
Old 12-03-2014, 11:00 PM

2015 C300
this is a damn good question and i'm in the same boat
Old 12-05-2014, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,105 Likes on 728 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Id be careful with my 600 bucks. Strangely the cars you and we get are similar, but not the same. For example you get 3 zone heating and we don't. There might be licensing issues involved that might keep the software from working on your car. Id certainly make sure that it will work before jumping in and buying. Another issue is map coverage. Since its a US map it might ignore large swaths of Canada altogether. Caveat emptor!
Old 12-11-2014, 04:19 PM

w205
Originally Posted by c4004matic
Id be careful with my 600 bucks. Strangely the cars you and we get are similar, but not the same. For example you get 3 zone heating and we don't. There might be licensing issues involved that might keep the software from working on your car. Id certainly make sure that it will work before jumping in and buying. Another issue is map coverage. Since its a US map it might ignore large swaths of Canada altogether. Caveat emptor!
There are large swaths of Canada that Canadians ignore also

The idea is however, that coverage near the US Border (where 90% of Canadians live) should have decent coverage, especially since Garmin is known to have these maps already available for its external units. Even if it only had Maps of the US, then I might still want it for the occasional road trip that we take.

I just wish there was an easy way to test it out. I am not even sure dealers are allowed to sell it to Canadians (the ebay re-sellers won't ship it to Canada).
Old 12-11-2014, 10:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C400 4matic W205
Originally Posted by c4004matic
I have a Canadian c400 and it doesn't have the 3rd temperature zone in the back contrary to what the available material says.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,105 Likes on 728 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by jbbeauso
I have a Canadian c400 and it doesn't have the 3rd temperature zone in the back contrary to what the available material says.
Yep the online manual is wrong Canadians get the same thing we do, no rear climate control. Sucks
Old 03-15-2015, 04:45 PM

w205
Just wanted to share my correspondence with MB Canada regarding this issue:

Me:

I plan on spending some time in the USA with my 2015 C300, and was wondering if I can purchase and use the Garmin Map Pilot while I am there. I asked the question to a few dealer associates here but unfortunately none have heard anything about the Garmin Map Pilot here in Canada (it is offered as an option for the C300 by MBUSA only).

Them:

Thank you for taking the time to write us, we appreciate your interest in Mercedes-Benz products.

We regret to inform you that the Garmin map Pilot is not available in Canada, but a retrofit kit can be purchased to have it installed. Please note that this retrofit will come at a substantial cost, compared to the cost of the COMAND system with navigation.

Please respond to this email with the name of the dealership through which you would like to perform these changes, and we will gladly assist the dealership.

-----

Sad news ! I guess this means that Canadian cars do not have option code 355 included as standard and this is the kit that the rep refers to. I always thought the cars were identical.