C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Wind noise in C400

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300
Dealer never heard of acoustic glass

I inquired about the acoustic glass before giving up my C300 for an SUV. No one at the service department or the General Manager every heard of acoustic glass. I gave up at that point.

It is very possible the early test cars of this new model originally included acoustic glass and the reviewers who first drove them were treated to cars in Germany with this feature. This may explain so many positive car magazine reviews specifically commenting on such a quiet ride. It is clearly not the same car that is described in most of the reviews or there are manufacturing issues in the US version of the car. Every loaner I drove and I drove 4 or 5 had the same wind noise on highway driving.

The wind noise is a loud flapping noise that is impossible to miss but it is only present during fast highway driving over 50 to 75 mph. If you do not plan to drive the car on the highway then the car will not have noticeable wind noise. Impressively quiet on side streets and local driving.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:11 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
Excellent description of the noise and possible reason for the early positive reviews!
Old 05-27-2015, 02:21 AM

c300
perhaps the car needs to be reviewed again

Would challenge any of those reviewers to drive my specific C300 or any of the cars of owners on this thread and ask them to review it again. I wonder if someone can write a letter to the editor of those magazines requesting that they take another look. The results will be eye opening and could imagine they will be dumbfounded.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by rex5
I inquired about the acoustic glass before giving up my C300 for an SUV. No one at the service department or the General Manager every heard of acoustic glass. I gave up at that point.

It is very possible the early test cars of this new model originally included acoustic glass and the reviewers who first drove them were treated to cars in Germany with this feature. This may explain so many positive car magazine reviews specifically commenting on such a quiet ride. It is clearly not the same car that is described in most of the reviews or there are manufacturing issues in the US version of the car. Every loaner I drove and I drove 4 or 5 had the same wind noise on highway driving.

The wind noise is a loud flapping noise that is impossible to miss but it is only present during fast highway driving over 50 to 75 mph. If you do not plan to drive the car on the highway then the car will not have noticeable wind noise. Impressively quiet on side streets and local driving.
Things like this IMHO are subjective/personal. Is it 'loud' as in 'loud' like an open window or is it loud as in noticeable? In mine I hear the wind noise over 70mph only or during cross-winds. I'd describe it as noticeable rather than loud and with the hifi on I certainly don't notice it. I still think that its the cars over all quietness that highlights the wind noise.

I took out my BMW e89 this weekend as I was convinced this was much quieter in wind noise. As it turned out, there was just as much, if not more wind noise in that, also circa 70mph+ and I worked that out simply because I could hear the wind noise at that speed over the immense roar of the tyres in that car.

I'm not concerned enough about the wind noise to make more of a fuss than have them look at it for me upon its first service (which is 10 months away) or should another reason/issue rise up. While there are several minor niggles with the car, there's not enough to take the whole car in, I'll just have them looked at when convenient.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by rex5

The Acoustic glass isn't being offered in North American Builds. It is option code
SA851, and part numbers are A2057251800 And A2057252300.

Maybe it will come, they recently added acoustic glass to special order (spec) for the 2015 E, and there it is for all 4 side windows.

The glass is belong standard in many cars, it's not only quieter, not much more expensive, but also a little lighter which helps CAFE standard meeting.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLC300 4MATIC; 2015 c400
My c400 doesn't have the wind noise issue, but I drove a c300 loaner and definitely heard the wind noise...it was very loud IMO. That's my 1:1 comparison with my "sensitivity." I'd assume it's a seal issue.

This might sound silly, but has anyone tried opening/closing their windows at higher speeds? Does it make a difference in the sound?
Old 05-27-2015, 01:46 PM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
E53
On vacation last week I rented a GLK350 with 6,000 miles. I could definitely hear the wind noise as described in this forum. My C400 is whisper quiet compared to the rented GLK.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Any updates on people experiencing wind noise? I'm starting to get paranoid about mine now, having had passengers comment on it at 70+mph. What I thought was ok or normal, they though the window or door not shut properly.

It would be nice to read that someone has made progress before I obsess on this.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by gnus
My c400 doesn't have the wind noise issue, but I drove a c300 loaner and definitely heard the wind noise...it was very loud IMO. That's my 1:1 comparison with my "sensitivity." I'd assume it's a seal issue.

This might sound silly, but has anyone tried opening/closing their windows at higher speeds? Does it make a difference in the sound?
The noise I hear doesn't sound like wind coming in (and yes I've tried the window open a tiny bit vs closed and its a very different noise). It sounds more outside the car, around the windscreen or mirror and I'm hearing it above the door because that's where my ear is. I suspect this might not be a wind noise on the door, but perhaps produced elsewhere around the car and its simply audible around the door seam. I'll have to do more listening while driving on the motorway. My chief suspect is either the mirror or the sides of the windscreen as these 'channels' either side of the windscreen seem perfect to catch wind or cross winds and funnel it over the top of the car doors. Though I tried to check into that by taping them up and it didn't make much difference.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:29 AM

'13 VW Touareg, '15 Harley Ultra Limited, '15 C300 Spt, '14 Airstream Interstate, '16 VW Tiguan
I haven't heard of anyone getting an acceptable response from MBZ on the wind noise issue. Either their heads are still in the sand or they are quietly working on a fix. Whatever the case, they are not saying. Had I known about the issue before purchasing, I for one would have purchased a different car altogether. I only hope not too many more people get stuck with one of the noisy ones unless or until MBZ provides a fix.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C400
Originally Posted by BenzC400
On vacation last week I rented a GLK350 with 6,000 miles. I could definitely hear the wind noise as described in this forum. My C400 is whisper quiet compared to the rented GLK.
I noticed it as well on a GLK loaner I had from the dealership as well. Apparently an issue across several models in the MB line!

Originally Posted by c21bill
I haven't heard of anyone getting an acceptable response from MBZ on the wind noise issue. Either their heads are still in the sand or they are quietly working on a fix. Whatever the case, they are not saying. Had I known about the issue before purchasing, I for one would have purchased a different car altogether. I only hope not too many more people get stuck with one of the noisy ones unless or until MBZ provides a fix.
When I told the dealership of the issue they had their head technician test drive the car and of course they reported no issues and that all seems fine to them.

Oh well, I finally got fed up with the car and traded it in this weekend. Very glad to be rid of it to be honest. Still plan on hanging around here just for the pure curiosity of seeing what other issues creep up or what resolutions MB has to eventually offer for those with the wind noise issues and more.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:09 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 W205
My car finally went in for the seat cover replacement and I have a 03/2015 build w205 loaner.

I finally had a rain free day and was able to effectively evaluate the noise from the loaner. While still noisier than I anticipated, it does appear to be somewhat better than my car.

Initially I thought it was noisier, but that was due to the rain being whipped around the car at speed.

Last edited by rustycruiser; 06-04-2015 at 02:21 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:37 PM

N/a
Delete

Last edited by Is4b2rjd; 07-20-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:13 AM

Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
Originally Posted by Is4b2rjd
Interesting reading. Wish I had read this before purchase. Have had my 5/15 build C300 for 3 weeks. Traded in my pristine 2000 CL500, which was still whisper quiet. I hadn't noticed the wind noise initially, but then did while driving without music playing. I am almost certain the wind noise has gotten worse within these 3 weeks. I had started to notice a slight squeak coming from driver door are when going over uneven pavement. This afternoon, started driving, and he driver window started a loud squeek over any uneven pavement. If I opened the window slightly, the squeek stops, so assume it is seals, which is still disturbing on a 3 week old car. Very disappointed in Mercedes, and hope that when I do take the car in to address these issues, there is a fix. And lubricating seals is not what I would consider a fix. Also, when looking in drivers review mirror, noticed the chrome strip that runs along bottom of window frame does not line up with rear door. Sure enough, the door protrudes ever so slightly at the front of the rear door. Hope to see someone post a real fix so I can truly enjoy this beautiful car.
Not umcommon that the noise takes some time to materialize. I think a micron difference in seal placement makes the difference.

Historically, unlikely a fix from Mercedes. You'll either hear that they 'don't hear it' or 'its normal' or 'its part of the design'. Probably will see new mirrors and minor changes at it's first refresh, until then, it's not a quiet car but can be improved if you're resilient and get the dealer and MB to help you. Easier said than done.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:58 AM

N/a
Delete

Last edited by Is4b2rjd; 07-20-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:08 AM

N/a
Delete

Last edited by Is4b2rjd; 07-20-2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:14 AM

2015 C 400, 2011 ML 550, 2014 Kia Sorento SX
I don't understand how at "freeway" speeds a door could stay open 1/2 way.

One would think the force of the air rushing by the body of the car would keep it more or less in the closed position.

As far as the door opening on its own....... I am sure glad I have not had any of these type of issues.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Originally Posted by Is4b2rjd
I was driving to work this morning, enjoying the ever increasing wind noise... after driving for 20 minutes, the drivers door popped open, swung 1/2 way open! Scared the hell out of me! I was going to wait until my first service to deal with wind noise and creaking issue, but will be calling the dealer this morning.. This is not just an annoyance... THIS is a safety issue!
There have actually been a few reports of this happening. I don't believe any codes will have been thrown, and I don't remember anyone reporting how this particular problem was dealt with by Mercedes. It doesn't appear to be a recurring issue, thankfully, but once is enough to scare the heck out of you.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:25 PM

C300 4matic
After driving 6 different C300 service loaners, every single one exhibited wind noise/turbulence from 45-50mph, and they were all dead quiet until I reached these speeds. I am beginning to think that the wind noise/turbulence that we are noticing is a design defect. Our fifth gen explorer, a full-size suv that is arguably less aerodynamic than the C class, will experience similar levels of turbulence @ 80mph. Ideally, a Mercedes sedan should experience less turbulence than a Ford suv, but this comparison is not applicable to the service department.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:13 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
Getting Acoustic Glass!

An update for wind noise issue.

I drove with a foreman and he said "sorry, I do not hear anything" even after we switched driver and passenger seat.

My service advice was really nice, and I enjoyed Naruto as her son did.
She asked another foreman to test drive and fix issues for me.

The other foreman identified the wind noise and invited MBUSA to test drive with him. (the issue statement says "case opened and handed off to FTS for an onsite visit", im wondering if FTS means Fc ths sh*t?) Yes, they opened a case with MBUSA and the tech support from MBUSA provided the dealership part numbers on front side glasses - later confirmed they were the ACOUSTIC GLASSES shipped from Germany. Although they said those were to LESSEN the noise not to eliminate, I was really happy at the time because I knew it was hard to get those glasses, while I got them for free and not a single phone call between me and MBUSA. My dealership went through those for me.

There are some good technicians, and certainly responsible ones out there in each dealership, you just have enough luck to meet them. Dealership played a role as well.

I will post an update after I replace with acoustic windows. It's in back order now. Expect first week Sep.

Thanks.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,104 Likes on 728 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by StanNH
There have actually been a few reports of this happening. I don't believe any codes will have been thrown, and I don't remember anyone reporting how this particular problem was dealt with by Mercedes. It doesn't appear to be a recurring issue, thankfully, but once is enough to scare the heck out of you.
Sounds like a bad latch to me. Another possibility is a misaligned door that doesn't latch appropriately. Hopefully its not a widespread design defect.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by arnold0523
An update for wind noise issue.

I drove with a foreman and he said "sorry, I do not hear anything" even after we switched driver and passenger seat.

My service advice was really nice, and I enjoyed Naruto as her son did.
She asked another foreman to test drive and fix issues for me.

The other foreman identified the wind noise and invited MBUSA to test drive with him. (the issue statement says "case opened and handed off to FTS for an onsite visit", im wondering if FTS means Fc ths sh*t?) Yes, they opened a case with MBUSA and the tech support from MBUSA provided the dealership part numbers on front side glasses - later confirmed they were the ACOUSTIC GLASSES shipped from Germany. Although they said those were to LESSEN the noise not to eliminate, I was really happy at the time because I knew it was hard to get those glasses, while I got them for free and not a single phone call between me and MBUSA. My dealership went through those for me.

There are some good technicians, and certainly responsible ones out there in each dealership, you just have enough luck to meet them. Dealership played a role as well.

I will post an update after I replace with acoustic windows. It's in back order now. Expect first week Sep.

Thanks.
Great job! New acoustic glass, which I do t have, has been reported very effective. Seems when dealers replace window run, and weatherstrip some have had good results. Interestingly, same part numbers as going in at factory, it's yet to be amended. Had an August build W205 loaner for a couple hours, LOTS of wind noise, worst ever heard, obviously they haven't fixed the issue.

Very interested to hear your results.

Any advice to get the dealer to get me acoustic side glass?

The problem has nothing to do with door latch or malalignment from previous posts and dealer attempts.

The problem is primarily cars out of Vance.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:52 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by kellens
Great job! New acoustic glass, which I do t have, has been reported very effective. Seems when dealers replace window run, and weatherstrip some have had good results. Interestingly, same part numbers as going in at factory, it's yet to be amended. Had an August build W205 loaner for a couple hours, LOTS of wind noise, worst ever heard, obviously they haven't fixed the issue.

Very interested to hear your results.

Any advice to get the dealer to get me acoustic side glass?

The problem has nothing to do with door latch or malalignment from previous posts and dealer attempts.

The problem is primarily cars out of Vance.
My car was built in Alabama, and the noise is getting worse. I noticed it at around 70mhp, later 60, now 50+.

As I said I did not ask the dealer for acoustic glass; however, I mentioned it exists (not sure if this had been forwarded to the foreman). I do not think i can provide any helpful advice, but try to say some owners had replaced those glasses and please have MBUSA involved and sent FTS to check onsite.. I do not have any misalighment issue from the door.

I just found out it's requiring more minimum force to close my driver side door after I took the vehicle from service. It was addressed earlier and not so long after car's delivery. It is happening again. - Minor and easy to fix.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:22 PM

S205
I found today that wedging my fingers between the glass and window seal at top of drivers door stopped the wind noise. It's as if there's a gap that my pushing against the glass is sealing.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mikeyw
I found today that wedging my fingers between the glass and window seal at top of drivers door stopped the wind noise. It's as if there's a gap that my pushing against the glass is sealing.
I'm starting to think the wind noise I hear at 70+ is normal and not the levels complained of here...