C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Ease of Navigation functions while driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 03:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2013 BMW 335i Msport, 2012 Mustang GT
Ease of Navigation functions while driving

I currently have a BMW 335i with 16 months left on the lease. I'm already looking ahead to the next car and took my first test drive in the new MB C Class yesterday. I can say that there is a lot to like about this car.

A major concern is the ability to look up POIs along a route (e.g. looking ahead for a restaurant) while driving. Usually I'm driving and my wife runs the nav. What we like in the bimmer is that she can do this all while I'm driving, no need to pull off the road and park to do such searches, or to insert a new destination.

I believe I've read on this site that you can't do this in the C Class. Are there workarounds? Can you search by voice or at least via a concierge service? Thanks in advance for any help with this question.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C400
There is mbrace feature that comes with the car which has a concierge service first 6 months is free for trial after that i believe its 280 dollars a year.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:37 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by mdsbuc
I currently have a BMW 335i with 16 months left on the lease. I'm already looking ahead to the next car and took my first test drive in the new MB C Class yesterday. I can say that there is a lot to like about this car.

A major concern is the ability to look up POIs along a route (e.g. looking ahead for a restaurant) while driving. Usually I'm driving and my wife runs the nav. What we like in the bimmer is that she can do this all while I'm driving, no need to pull off the road and park to do such searches, or to insert a new destination.

I believe I've read on this site that you can't do this in the C Class. Are there workarounds? Can you search by voice or at least via a concierge service? Thanks in advance for any help with this question.

I believe you can do the POIs while driving, just not address entry. I use the voice command which is very handy as well.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:04 PM

Thanks for those answers. It will be easier to live with the system knowing what's been said here. Now I'm wondering if the car can be coded to allow address input while driving. Honestly, I don't understand why the computer can't take the same info that goes from the passenger seat to the airbag, letting it know whether it needs to deploy in a crash, and send it to the Nav system, letting it know that there's a passenger there that can input addresses and whatnot. It seems simple.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Can you use all voice functions, like entering a new address destination while in motion? Can you key enter previous destinations while moving?
Old 12-22-2014, 03:10 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
My salesman demonstrated entering an address with voice command. It was the easiest system I have seen. You say the entire address at once. No need to enter the street number, street name, city separately like some car systems. The MB way is actually easier than entering the address manually.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205 C220 Sport
Mdsbuc
Not sure if you are referring to the command or the Garmin map pilot?

I have the Garmin map pilot system (only had the car a few weeks) and the search by voice works well so far. Searching for recently found places, favourites or restaurants on route whilst driving seems to work fine.

You can also voice search for a particular chain e.g costa, starbucks etc. Obviously not what the original question asked for but could be useful if you have a preferred chain of restaurant when driving

I have also updated the map software this weekend and installed the speed camera database from pocket gpsworld. This works well and is not intrusive

Last edited by mercuk; 12-22-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:25 PM

Thanks Mercuk, I have a portable Garmin unit that I use for car rentals. I'm quite impressed and satisfied with it. In my own cars though, I tend to go with the built in Nav systems. I can see that the Garmin is definitely a consideration in this car, especially with the way it integrates into the system.
Originally Posted by mercuk
Mdsbuc
Not sure if you are referring to the command or the Garmin map pilot?

I have the Garmin system (only owned a few weeks) and the search by voice works well so far. Searching for recently found places, favourites or restaurants on route whilst driving seems to work fine.

You can also voice search for a particular chain e.g costa, starbucks etc. Obviously not what the original question asked for but could be useful if you have a preferred chain of restaurant when driving

I have also updated the map software this weekend and installed the speed camera database from pocket gpsworld. This works well and is not intrusive