C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Garmin Map Pilot Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300
Thanks!
Old 06-29-2015, 06:36 PM

2015 C300 4Matic
I just purchased a USA 2015 C300 with the Garmin Map Pilot two days ago. Trying to learn how to do things on the GPS.
I downloaded there "MB Download Manager", but not sure what to do with it. Are others taking the SD card from their car, inserting in their PC and running the "MB Manager"?
I'm assuming that what I need to do, but I'm hesitate to eject the card from my car and put into my PC in case I screw up that $600 card!
I am an avid using of Garmin GPSs and own about 6 on my motorcycles and cars. So I'm pretty used to their use.....in general.
(1) I'd like to NOT have the gas stations and restaurant icons on my GPS display....but cannot figure out how to eliminate them from the display. Anyone figure out how to do that?
(2) I'd like to make a route, either on the PC or in the car, and save it so I can follow that route later while in the car. I cannot figure out how to do that in the car, and of course haven't used the MB Download Manager yet.
(3) If there is a decent manual for the Garmin Map Pilot somewhere online in English I'd LOVE to get a link! I already tried Garmin's support page to no avail.

What happened to the "Becker Map Pilot" GPS system I THOUGHT I was getting in my car? That's what my salesman thought I was getting also. Don't know if that was/is better or worse, but there sure isn't much info on the Garmin system.

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GLK350
Okay, asked on the other thread, but still nothing difinitive on live traffic...

Comes with Garmin Map Pilot? Or is there some kind of subscription? Do you need Sirius subscription, etc. or?

So, if it comes with the chip, how does it get its data? From the GPS link?
Old 06-30-2015, 01:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C300W4, 2011 G37, 1998 528i Sport 5MT
Originally Posted by CJBROWN
Okay, asked on the other thread, but still nothing difinitive on live traffic...

Comes with Garmin Map Pilot? Or is there some kind of subscription? Do you need Sirius subscription, etc. or?

So, if it comes with the chip, how does it get its data? From the GPS link?
I have Garmin Map Pilot and had a crazy time with MBUSA getting the live traffic thing figured out. Finally, I got to someone who actually knew what was up and they explained that you get live traffic free for 6 months with the Garmin. After that it's a subscription with Sirius XM. Getting someone at Sirius who knew what to do to activate my Garmin live traffic subscription took a couple tries. However, they should be used to it now. I have found the live traffic pretty accurate and very helpful. The Garmin also does a great job of figuring the navigation route to lessen the effect of traffic issues.

The data is from the GPS signal that is built into every W205 sold in the US. It's the same signal they use to locate your car if it's in an accident or track it if it is stolen. You do not need the MM option for this stuff - unlike what many salesmen told me.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Papersniper
I just purchased a USA 2015 C300 with the Garmin Map Pilot two days ago. Trying to learn how to do things on the GPS.
I downloaded there "MB Download Manager", but not sure what to do with it. Are others taking the SD card from their car, inserting in their PC and running the "MB Manager"?
I'm assuming that what I need to do, but I'm hesitate to eject the card from my car and put into my PC in case I screw up that $600 card!
I am an avid using of Garmin GPSs and own about 6 on my motorcycles and cars. So I'm pretty used to their use.....in general.
(1) I'd like to NOT have the gas stations and restaurant icons on my GPS display....but cannot figure out how to eliminate them from the display. Anyone figure out how to do that?
(2) I'd like to make a route, either on the PC or in the car, and save it so I can follow that route later while in the car. I cannot figure out how to do that in the car, and of course haven't used the MB Download Manager yet.
(3) If there is a decent manual for the Garmin Map Pilot somewhere online in English I'd LOVE to get a link! I already tried Garmin's support page to no avail.

What happened to the "Becker Map Pilot" GPS system I THOUGHT I was getting in my car? That's what my salesman thought I was getting also. Don't know if that was/is better or worse, but there sure isn't much info on the Garmin system.

Thanks.
I have not used MB Download Manager. I'm still waiting for the worst customer service company in Autodom (MBUSA) to issue an upgrade. However, if you simply put your SD card in any computer and check the files on the card, you will find a file that when printed is the actual Garmin Map Pilot owners manual - something else many MB sales people are clueless of. The guide is pretty good and certainly answered many of my questions.

It's easy to dump the gas station and restaurant icons. Just print the manual and read it. Some Garmin mysteries will be solved.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:29 PM

2011 GLK350
Originally Posted by gocal73
I have Garmin Map Pilot and had a crazy time with MBUSA getting the live traffic thing figured out. Finally, I got to someone who actually knew what was up and they explained that you get live traffic free for 6 months with the Garmin. After that it's a subscription with Sirius XM. Getting someone at Sirius who knew what to do to activate my Garmin live traffic subscription took a couple tries. However, they should be used to it now. I have found the live traffic pretty accurate and very helpful. The Garmin also does a great job of figuring the navigation route to lessen the effect of traffic issues.

The data is from the GPS signal that is built into every W205 sold in the US. It's the same signal they use to locate your car if it's in an accident or track it if it is stolen. You do not need the MM option for this stuff - unlike what many salesmen told me.
Sounds good.
So, on the Sirius subscription for traffic, you don't have to have a Sirius Radio? And is it a different subscription than what you would get with the radio? And if so, how much is this subscription? Where do you get it and how do you implement it with your Garmin nav system?

I wasn't going to bother with Sirius radio for the wife because she just doesn't listen to music. I got it for the first time on my new Chevy Colorado and absolutely love it and have renewed my subscription.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:43 PM

2015 C300 4Matic
........... However, if you simply put your SD card in any computer and check the files on the card, you will find a file that when printed is the actual Garmin Map Pilot owners manual - something else many MB sales people are clueless of. The guide is pretty good and certainly answered many of my questions.

It's easy to dump the gas station and restaurant icons. Just print the manual and read it. Some Garmin mysteries will be solved.

Thanks, so you did that without using Download Manager, just did a "directory" on the SD card to see what was there, right? I will have to try that and see what's in the Owners Manual. Hope it's better than what was in the box in which the SD came!
Old 06-30-2015, 03:36 PM

Sounds good.
So, on the Sirius subscription for traffic, you don't have to have a Sirius Radio? And is it a different subscription than what you would get with the radio? And if so, how much is this subscription? Where do you get it and how do you implement it with your Garmin nav system?

I wasn't going to bother with Sirius radio for the wife because she just doesn't listen to music. I got it for the first time on my new Chevy Colorado and absolutely love it and have renewed my subscription.
I first called MBUSA who directed me to sirius XM. I also have subscriptions with them for other services so i just added the live traffic for the Garmin. They told me I had 6 months free. Can't recall the price but they do discount depending on the length of your subscription. I had to talk with 3 different people before they hooked me up with someone who understood the whole MB/Garmin thing. once that was accomplished, it's been smooth sailing.

One word of caution - the manual will tell you that green means free flowing traffic. This is incorrect. Free flowing traffic is the absence of red, yellow, black. it will make sense when you use it.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:39 PM

Thanks, so you did that without using Download Manager, just did a "directory" on the SD card to see what was there, right? I will have to try that and see what's in the Owners Manual. Hope it's better than what was in the box in which the SD came!
Yes. It will be obvious when you see the files listed for the SD card. Just print the manual and you will be happier with your purchase. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good. What came in the box is a joke.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:48 PM

2011 GLK350
Terrific. I logged onto my Sirius XM account and found the link to Sirius Traffic and Travel Link: http://www.siriusxm.com/infotainment

Traffic is $3.99 per month
Travel is $1.99 (realtime weather reports and forecasting)

I'm betting if you called them and prepaid for a time segment you could get a deal/discount. I got either six or 12 months added onto my trial XM subscription for like $35. I'm loving it. Did not renew Onstar. <shrug>
Old 06-30-2015, 07:56 PM

2015 C300
The Download Manager is used to update the maps on your Map Pilot. I've plugged the SD Card into my laptop, loaded up Download Manager, checked for updates, and updated if there are new maps. I've heard on other threads that they only do one update a year or something like that...and there may be one coming soon. I'm not holding my breath for that.

Download Manager has worked though. Not great software, but it works.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:58 AM

2015 C300 4Matic
Yes. It will be obvious when you see the files listed for the SD card. Just print the manual and you will be happier with your purchase. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good. What came in the box is a joke.

Thanks, I'll do that today. I'm still pretty happy with the Garmin Map Pilot that came with my car (getting it was part of my price bargaining). I have never used a voice activated GPS, and I like that a lot. I do want to be able to create and save routes, however, as we take trips often and I like to create them on my PC and then download to the GPS units I use in my other car and motorcycle.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:00 AM

2015 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Plepster
The Download Manager is used to update the maps on your Map Pilot. I've plugged the SD Card into my laptop, loaded up Download Manager, checked for updates, and updated if there are new maps. I've heard on other threads that they only do one update a year or something like that...and there may be one coming soon. I'm not holding my breath for that.

Download Manager has worked though. Not great software, but it works.

Did I read somewhere that when you pop the Map Pilot SD card into your PC, and start up MB Download Manager, you will be asked for a user ID and password? And that you just create your own at that initial time? I'm assuming that the software will ask for that ID/PW on subsequent sessions?
Old 07-01-2015, 11:55 PM

2015 C300
The MB site will ask for a user ID and password. Some have stated that you can enter anything you want and it'll let you in. I did set up a user ID and password and it works fine. The MB software just isn't that great, but it will help you update the maps if there is a new maps update available.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:03 AM

2011 GLK350
Our Becker Map Pilot is almost three years old. Well, I'm betting the maps are older than that. I pulled out the unit and hooked it up to the pc and ran an install for the manager and it updated the software for free but they wanted $99 for new mapping.

If'n I was gonna keep the car I'd do it....
Old 07-02-2015, 08:28 AM

2015 C300 4Matic
Our Becker Map Pilot is almost three years old. Well, I'm betting the maps are older than that. I pulled out the unit and hooked it up to the pc and ran an install for the manager and it updated the software for free but they wanted $99 for new mapping.

If'n I was gonna keep the car I'd do it....

Heck, I use Garmin maps from 2008 on one of my touring motorcycles and rarely find they are out of date enough to be much bother. I'd update maps if the area in which I rode/drove all the time had road/highway changes, otherwise I'd rather spend that $99 elsewhere.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:54 AM

2011 GLK350
Heck, I use Garmin maps from 2008 on one of my touring motorcycles and rarely find they are out of date enough to be much bother. I'd update maps if the area in which I rode/drove all the time had road/highway changes, otherwise I'd rather spend that $99 elsewhere.
Yeah, me too. I bought a 60CS back in '06 for the boat, got BlueChart mapping, then sold the boat and got Topo mapping about '09 to use it on the adventure bikes, and still use it. Doesn't do roads worth a crap though. Not even names of roads. At least they're on there, and so are the trails. We use downloaded tracks and waypoints for trips anyway.

But yeah, even if there are new roads they just don't show up - everything else is just the same.

We've been very happy with the Becker. For $600 it was well worth it - just have never been able to stomach the two-grand-plus for built in nav in the cars. And that would be for each one of them!
Old 07-02-2015, 02:22 PM

2015 C300 4Matic
Another question for those using the SD based Gamin Map Pilot GPS system: this one for (trying) to create a waypoint/favorite based on a latitude/longitude position. I can do a "go to" lat/long easily, but I cannot figure out how to save that lat/long position. I need to do this as I have a lot of waypoints I use on a regular basis that do not have a valid address, nor are they in the POI database.
I have given up trying to figure out how to create then save a route. I have several routes I use on a regular basic, and it would be nice to build them once in the car then save them for the next time, but apparently MB never figured anyone would want to do that.......
Old 07-07-2015, 03:27 AM

W205 C220 Sport
Another question for those using the SD based Gamin Map Pilot GPS system: this one for (trying) to create a waypoint/favorite based on a latitude/longitude position. I can do a "go to" lat/long easily, but I cannot figure out how to save that lat/long position. I need to do this as I have a lot of waypoints I use on a regular basis that do not have a valid address, nor are they in the POI database.
I have given up trying to figure out how to create then save a route. I have several routes I use on a regular basic, and it would be nice to build them once in the car then save them for the next time, but apparently MB never figured anyone would want to do that.......
This seems to work
Where to/coordinates/enter coordinates/view on map
Then press the centre of the menu button (on the centre control of console) location details then pops up, press the centre of menu button again and then save option
Hope that makes sense
Old 07-08-2015, 06:26 PM

2016 C200 Sport - Auto
Hi,

Quick question regarding the Garmin Map Pilot.

I currently have a demonstrator with the full command system in, and the navigation also shows the turn directions on the speedo centre display, does the Garmin system do the same?

I've ordered my car and have gone for the garmin system as my allowance won't extend to the full command package, but I do like the guidance being shown in the speedo display.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:51 AM

W205 C220 Sport
Trigger
Yes, the garmin system also displays on the speedo centre if you wish it to
Old 07-09-2015, 04:11 AM

2016 C200 Sport - Auto
Originally Posted by mercuk
Trigger
Yes, the garmin system also displays on the speedo centre if you wish it to
Awesome, many thanks for the quick response!
Old 07-30-2015, 09:34 AM

2015 Mercedes C300 4matic
I just received the card yesterday. I entered my preferences from the menu, everything seemed to be working fine.. I started the car this morning and am getting a message stating that the navigation card is not present (detected). I tried removing the card and putting it back in, no difference. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?
Old 07-30-2015, 05:59 PM

2015 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Benzy1
I just received the card yesterday. I entered my preferences from the menu, everything seemed to be working fine.. I started the car this morning and am getting a message stating that the navigation card is not present (detected). I tried removing the card and putting it back in, no difference. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

My card does that occasionally in the month or so I've owned the car. However, removing and re-inserting works every time. However, you were able to at least once use the car to set your preferences, so we can only assume it's a working card. Why it is not being seen now is confusing. The only thing I can suggest is try popping out the card and re-inserting it a few times. Mine doesn't always feel like it "seats" probably sometimes when I insert it.

Where did you get the Garmin Map Pilot card? If from the MB dealer, I'd take it back ASAP. I doubt you got a back card since you were able to use it once, but you never know.......
Old 07-29-2016, 07:20 PM

CLA 250
Thanks for the info on this thread! I used any old username and password to find out my maps are up to date. But at least I know.

Quick question: anyone know if you have to have a Sirius-capable radio in the car to get traffic on the nav through the Garmin SD Card? I didn't get the Premium Package on my car, so I don't have a Sirius radio, but I sure would like traffic on my Garmin. Any ideas? Thx!