C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

New MB-Tex replaced seats starting to bleed again. AAAAARGH!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Originally Posted by JonathonK
how frustrating. we wrote about the issue on the front page to see if anyone else is experiencing the same problem.
https://mbworld.org/articles/seats-b...-ghostbusters/
Yeah, it's definitely not the new MB-Tex, but the fact that not all the contaminated material was replaced by the dealer. Whether the blame lies with the technician who ordered the repair kit, or with MB-USA for sending out an incomplete repair package is still open to debate. Regardless of where the blame may lie, the result is all I'm concerned with ... and that result is that I still have seats that are defective even after my car sat for 2 1/2 weeks at my dealer.

One could also ask the question: "If MB-USA knows that all the affected parts of the interior must be replaced, why aren't they just routinely sending out all the necessary parts?" Does the fix really depend on the ordering savvy of a technician at a dealer's service facility? If it does, that's just nuts. "Order what you think you need," doesn't cut it for a massive TSB that affects so many cars. If that's the way it really works, you know there have to be mistakes made given the large number of parts that have to be ordered for this fix. I was told by MB-USA that repair kits were being put together and included all the necessary parts as well as the tools needed for the installation, but now I'm not even sure that's true.

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into, Mr. Mercedes.

Last edited by StanNH; 02-11-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

And more ...

... bad publicity. You'd think the company would want to publicly address their irate customers and issue a formal apology already.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/02/11/m...-tex-followup/

Last edited by StanNH; 02-11-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
Correct me if I am wrong but I am thinking they can't simply replace the seats with leather, since the VIN is tied to specific packages, options, etc. It would make more sense to do a buyback.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
Originally Posted by joshg1001
Correct me if I am wrong but I am thinking they can't simply replace the seats with leather, since the VIN is tied to specific packages, options, etc. It would make more sense to do a buyback.

You can always make changes to the vehicles datacard

look at my post #47
Old 02-12-2015, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C300, BMW X5
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
New car and leather is the way to go. I've never owned a Benz with MBTex. In SA it's considered low rent for farmers & Taxis.
The irony is one of the reason to get Mercedes was because most of their cars don't have leather seats. The other alternative was to custom order BMW 3 series wagon.

I would like returning to enjoy my car instead of worrying about the bleeding seats issue.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S205
New car and leather is the way to go.
That is obviously what anyone would want, but didn't you buy pre-owned?

I've never owned a Benz with MBTex. In SA it's considered low rent for farmers & Taxis.
Is that a fact?

https://www.google.de/search?q=south...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ
Old 02-12-2015, 06:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
Originally Posted by Eilers
That is obviously what anyone would want, but didn't you buy pre-owned?

Is that a fact?

https://www.google.de/search?q=south...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Your trolling attempt gets pretty obvious right here, if you dont have anything to say regarding thread subject, please dont say it at all.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by joshg1001
My dealer did mention the possibility of replacing the seat covers and headrests with leather as an option for me , and it is something they can do. Granted, the options would no longer match the VIN or Mulroney, but the change would be documented as a dealer installation so I don't think that would have any real impact on ultimate resale value. As Vic Viper mentioned, the information on the data card simply gets updated. Given the cost of dealing with all this, I really think a buyback is the simplest way to resolve this.

Still, as long as I'm under that 30 business day threshold for invoking the Lemon Law, I have to rely on the goodwill of MB-USA to get this resolved to my satisfaction.

Right now, I'm still waiting to hear back from either MB-USA, my dealer, or both. I'm hoping they just agree to take the car back, credit me my purchase price, and let me order a new C300 that doesn't seem to be a prototype or work in progress.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:44 AM

2013 Acura RDX and 2012 Mini
MB Tex Bleeding

I can understand that this is frustrating , but it is not as if Mercedes has denied the problem or refused to fix it . It's certainly not a safety issue like an Airbag that might deploy.

It sometimes takes a while to figure out the real cause and get enough parts in the system to make the repairs necessary. Automobiles are very complex machines. They work at 120 % and 30 below.

Give Mercedes time to address the issue. I was thinking the residue may be coming from the foam that is in the seats.

If anyone has ever worked in a production environment they would know sometimes you get materials that are not to spec . Even with QC some problems may not be evident till the goods are produced.

If you want a perfect experience, don't drive any brand of car. I have had a Lexus replaced because they could not fix it after a year of ownership .

Think of it Formula One Race cars cost millions to build and each part is scrutinized before assembly. Still they break sometimes.

I'll bet you could go into every brand dealership and find new model year cars being repaired.

A better judge of and organization is not that nothing goes wrong, but how it is handled when things do go wrong.

Take a breath and let Mercedes fix the issue.

On another note I noticed some glossy streaks on my dash top. I think that is MB tex not leather. Could be some of the same issue but it wont harm me to drive in the meantime.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by etiennewheeler
I can understand that this is frustrating , but it is not as if Mercedes has denied the problem or refused to fix it . It's certainly not a safety issue like an Airbag that might deploy.

It sometimes takes a while to figure out the real cause and get enough parts in the system to make the repairs necessary. Automobiles are very complex machines. They work at 120 % and 30 below.

Give Mercedes time to address the issue. I was thinking the residue may be coming from the foam that is in the seats.

If anyone has ever worked in a production environment they would know sometimes you get materials that are not to spec . Even with QC some problems may not be evident till the goods are produced.

If you want a perfect experience, don't drive any brand of car. I have had a Lexus replaced because they could not fix it after a year of ownership .

Think of it Formula One Race cars cost millions to build and each part is scrutinized before assembly. Still they break sometimes.

I'll bet you could go into every brand dealership and find new model year cars being repaired.

A better judge of and organization is not that nothing goes wrong, but how it is handled when things do go wrong.

On another note I noticed some glossy streaks on my dash top. I think that is MB tex not leather. Could be some of the same issue but it wont harm me to drive in the meantime.
I have a pretty reasonable tolerance for repairs on a new car, but this is not just an issue with the seats for me. This is the culmination of a long list of admittedly minor issues, including two recalls and one service campaign, all of which required time at the dealer's service department ... which is a four hour round trip from my home. In the less than five months I've owned it, it's already gone back four times, with a fifth time coming up to resolve the botched seat repair. Last night the Keyless Go again refused to recognize that the fob was in the car, and I had to start it manually with the key. Major problem? No, certainly not. Just another problem to add to the growing list of things that simply don't seem to work right on my car.

I expected some first year issues when I bought this car, I just didn't expect to develop such an intimate relationship with my dealer's service department.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C220 AMG Line Bluetech.

Goodness - I am shocked you would make that comment.

Stan has been the model of patience and even-handedness through this whole debacle. I think it is about time MBUSA did the right thing by him and called with an offer to get the car back. It is bad enough he has had so many problems, but then, to fob him off with half a job, is very poor indeed.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C300W4, 2011 G37, 1998 528i Sport 5MT

You obviously did not research this thread before commenting.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:13 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
W205
Originally Posted by jolt8631
Goodness - I am shocked you would make that comment.

Stan has been the model of patience and even-handedness through this whole debacle. I think it is about time MBUSA did the right thing by him and called with an offer to get the car back. It is bad enough he has had so many problems, but then, to fob him off with half a job, is very poor indeed.
Notice it is etiennewheeler's second post, either he's an idiot, clueless,, from MBUSA/dealer or all the above. I think Stan told more than a breath already.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:20 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Your expectations with your car, gocal73, paid with your real money, have been met. The hassle you are creating in your mind, is not the responsibility of the manufacturer, but there are remedies you can look into.

Case closed.

But you are definitely on to something. Having to wonder...there is a huge price to pay for that. If I have to wonder if my car's seats will bleed, or my car's brakes will squeal, or if my car develops wind noise , or my keyfob might not work, or if I have to replace the battery. That is truly insurmountable.

Where do I sign for the class action?

Stan rightfully should be compensated, and I could not disagree with etiennewheeler's post. Stan nor anyone here should be guinea pigs and there are expectations that must be met when a car is put for sale on the market. They certainly have not been met in Stan's case, but for many they have.

You should count yourself lucky and enjoy your car.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,417 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
I would say get rid of the car Stan but there may not be anything out there that you want right now ... And you don't have to wait until lemon is invoked to get a buyback from Mbusa

I didn't have to

I also snail mailed Steve cannon and he wrote me back apologizing for my aggravation and soon after the buyback was initiated
Old 02-12-2015, 12:45 PM

New MB-Tex replaced seats starting to bleed again. AAAAARGH!'

First of all , I do not work for Mercedes nor am I clueless. Having many issues is different than one or two. I also do not have to drive 4 hours to a dealer like Stan. I think it's awful to drive an hour to my Mini Dealer.

At the least the dealer should pick up the car and provide a loaner till Stan's car is made right.

What I was mainly responding to was the apparent the coming MB Tex Apocalypse as being reported in this forum. I think wanting to get rid of a car because a glitch or two may not be reasonable.

I had a 1997 BMW 5 Series that saw the dealer at least once a month for over a year. That is not reasonable.

I also own a 2012 Mini Copper. When I got that the Mini Cooper forum was full of dread because some chrome stripping on the window would peel off. Shouldn't happen but it does.

My last car was a 2013 Acura RDX. The bluetooth was horrible as was the Nav System. Nice car otherwise. When I complained to Acura about the Blue Tooth Function and Nav system they said it was operating as designed.

Just read any forum and you would swear the Manufacturers were idiots. Trust me it's not that I am on their side. They are just big corporations.

Frankly they spend a fortune getting you to occupy their seat. It can cost them a lot less to keep in in one. Lifetime loyalty value is huge.

I plan to enjoy my 2015 C300 . If I have continual issues that prevent that , then I will address it then.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:43 PM

Toyota Camry
@etiennewheeler,

I highly doubt that you've read Stan's every post or threads started by Stan on this forum. He has lot of patience for what he has gone through, if you put any reasonable person in his shoe I don't think you would be saying things you just wrote.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Today's update. The service manager called to tell me the missing parts were now in. She offered to have my car flat-bedded down so they wouldn't put any more miles on it! This dealer is so good .... their courtesy and consideration has been a major factor in me not going totally nuts with all this.

I asked why the parts were not part of the MB-Tex repair kit they received, and she told me that they were specifically told by MB that those parts did not have to be replaced and would not be sent. Since this was the first repair being attempted, I think they just did not understand what was really involved. They do now.

I said I don't want to be without my car again ... not now. I asked her to approach MB-USA about two options ... replace the seat covers and headrests with leather, or credit me the original purchase price towards a new C300. She explained that Mercedes doesn't normally negotiate until the car's problems have all been addressed. I pointed out that it would be easier for all involved to know what options are available before I once again lose my car. I want to know what MB will do for me now .... then they can do whatever they want to do with the car. I was promised a response today.

Again, I can not stress just how good my dealer has been through all of this. My case manager at MB-USA has also been a true gentleman and as helpful as he could be, but he can only do so much. The question is now how far Mercedes will go to defuse this situation and come out looking like a company that truly cares about its customers.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:34 PM

I am sorry my original comment was not directed toward Stan . I was just picking up the thread .

In my second reply I was sympathetic to Stan. I said it's one thing to have a problem and it's another thing to have many problems. It is also not at all convenient for Stan to get his car serviced.

It looks like they are picking up the car as I suggested they do and Stan if you are reading did they offer to rent a car or provide a loaner ?

In reading some of the thread about the MB Tex Issue I was taken aback peoples reaction to the issue, not that they should not be upset or concerned.

That was what my first comment was about, not Stan or others like him.

I was looking last night to see if any one had an issue with the Key not being detected and got to reading some of the comments. By the way Stan if you are reading, I sat in my car and opened and closed the door with the remote .

The car then started. Could be just a coincidence or not .
Old 02-12-2015, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am sorry my original comment was not directed toward Stan . I was just picking up the thread .

It looks like they are picking up the car as I suggested they do and Stan if you are reading did they offer to rent a car or provide a loaner ?

I was looking last night to see if any one had an issue with the Key not being detected and got to reading some of the comments. By the way Stan if you are reading, I sat in my car and opened and closed the door with the remote .

The car then started. Could be just a coincidence or not .
No problem at all. And yes, the dealer has been giving me a 2015 C300 Luxury as a loaner ... although I think at this point I may have more miles on that car than my own.

I'll try that tip about the fob next time the ignition decides it can't see it. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by StanNH
Today's update. The service manager called to tell me the missing parts were now in. She offered to have my car flat-bedded down so they wouldn't put any more miles on it! This dealer is so good .... their courtesy and consideration has been a major factor in me not going totally nuts with all this.

I asked why the parts were not part of the MB-Tex repair kit they received, and she told me that they were specifically told by MB that those parts did not have to be replaced and would not be sent. Since this was the first repair being attempted, I think they just did not understand what was really involved. They do now.

I said I don't want to be without my car again ... not now. I asked her to approach MB-USA about two options ... replace the seat covers and headrests with leather, or credit me the original purchase price towards a new C300. She explained that Mercedes doesn't normally negotiate until the car's problems have all been addressed. I pointed out that it would be easier for all involved to know what options are available before I once again lose my car. I want to know what MB will do for me now .... then they can do whatever they want to do with the car. I was promised a response today.

Again, I can not stress just how good my dealer has been through all of this. My case manager at MB-USA has also been a true gentleman and as helpful as he could be, but he can only do so much. The question is now how far Mercedes will go to defuse this situation and come out looking like a company that truly cares about its customers.
Trade assist is the best way to go
Old 02-12-2015, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Trade assist is the best way to go
You don't have to convince me. One of the three parties involved agree with you. It's the other two that need convincing.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by StanNH
You don't have to convince me. One of the three parties involved agree with you. It's the other two that need convincing.
For me, the dealership did a lot of advocating for me to Mbusa and basically came back and said give this guy a new car... And when THAT new car had the same clunky trans, the dealer said you NEED your money back
Old 02-12-2015, 04:08 PM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
C300 4Matic Tenorite Grey
My service manager at MB Oakville Ontario called today to say the seat repair kit is in and then went and verified with the mechanic who already did one and was told it includes the bolster and arm rest parts that Stan's car is missing.

So it looks like MB-Canada got it right.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
The quality of MB-Tex from the late 90s to current is not what it used to be. The "old" MB-Tex, like the one from my parents '86 190e that they purchased new has lasted "like new" till I sold the car in 2014. Still soft and supple. I had MB-Tex in my '99 ML320 and that only lasted about 4 years before it started to crack. I have seen MANY late model MBs with that have the same issues with cracking. Granted they didn't bleed like these, but nonethelss, MB-Tex is not the same as the older-gen MBs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New MB-Tex replaced seats starting to bleed again. AAAAARGH!