C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

iPhone Connectivity Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300 4Matic
iPhone Connectivity Issues

Tried searching for similar issues but to no avail,

just took home a new C300 that i'm loving but I'm having some major bluetooth connectivity issues with my iPhone 6(AT&T).

The issues seem to happen randomly (sometime's it works flawless, other times not) but the phone constantly connects/disconnects from command during calls(on the command screen it flashes "CALL ENDED") while the call is still ongoing (just can't hear it via the command system).

I've also noticed that if I try to stream music or make a call within the first minute of the car being on, that it sometime's results on the whole system making no noise [stereo, navigation etc.] . Its almost as if I trigger SIRI but its stuck indefinitely.

Lastly, I've noticed some major issues with it picking up on calls that are in progress when I start the call (something that happens frequently to me).

Anyone else have any ideas/tips? It's been a huge problem for me in this first week of owning the car.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C300 4MATIC with Sport Package, Premium, Multimedia, Panorama Roof, Black Ash, & Blind Spot
I have had the same issue with my c300 and iPhone 6. Looked to see if I could update Command system but it's the most recent version. Have appointment for Mercedes to look at it and the USB connection. When connected via lightning/USB cable it states "iPhone 6 is connected" on screen constantly. When music is played while connected USB the song will distort multiple times during playback. Like cassette tapes used to do when the tape film itself was wrinkled or not perfect. I assume that Command system is just not compatible with iPhone 6 yet. Wish Carplay was available as I am sure it wouldn't have compatibility problems unless it's the hardware of the system that is the issue.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:06 PM

2015 C300 4Matic
yea, I'm concerned it's an issue with the iPhone 6. It's driving me crazy and I have a feeling the dealer won't help. I'll setup an appointment as well, let me know if you get anywhere.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:48 PM

Mercedes C250 (W205)
I am having a similar problem connecting my phone to the car. I have two phones; 1 x iphone 5 and 1 x Samsung galaxy note3. Both connect very well and I can make and receive calls, read text messages, stream spotify...... but...... I can't connect to the internet on the car. So I am unable to view mercedes apps, web sites or anything from the WEB section on the command system. I have asked Merc dealer, and he is chasing it up at the moment..... Sure it will be one little setting somewhere.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:20 AM

W205 C250 Diesel Estate AMG Line Premium Plus
My dealership have investigated this for me - iPhones in the UK that are on Vodafone work fine, but anything on O2 doesn't work at all, but the technical department seem not to be interested and say that my phone isn't set up for tethering (I use tethering every day, so it definitely is).

Very apathetic service from Mercedes at the moment.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:30 AM

B200T
Originally Posted by PaulArthur
My dealership have investigated this for me - iPhones in the UK that are on Vodafone work fine, but anything on O2 doesn't work at all, but the technical department seem not to be interested and say that my phone isn't set up for tethering (I use tethering every day, so it definitely is).

Very apathetic service from Mercedes at the moment.
If iPhones from other providers work fine, it's clearly an iPhone/provider issue, not an issue with the car. What would you expect MB to do? They can't call O2 on your behalf...
Old 02-25-2015, 09:35 AM

W205 C250 Diesel Estate AMG Line Premium Plus
It's a problem with a Mercedes product - a phone on O2 is perfectly capable of tethering, and they do all the time. This is a problem with the Mercedes software crapping out when it encounters an O2 phone.

My phone works, my networks works, my phone can tether, but my Mercedes isn't able to do what it says it can. It seems pretty clear that it is Mercedes that have to fix it.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:01 AM

C250 AMG Prem +
I too have the same issues with O2 and had my corporate supplier of Phones talk to their contacts at O2 to try and solve the issue. After 4 options of APN setting failed to sort the situation they gave up and said that "O2 didn't support car tethering".
What they mean is they don't offer technical support for this and it appears that neither do Mercedes.

I believe that Mercedes have a duty of care to the their customers to work with O2 to understand this issue. If for no other reason that as the W205 becomes more popular with business users the number of complaints about O2 connectivity will only increase rapidly.

In reality it not a show stopper for me. I would much prefer that the issues surrounding the COM module/Live traffic/MercedesMe not working on my car were solved or at least my dealer had a clue how to start investigating the issue - but thats another story!!!
Old 02-26-2015, 11:08 AM

2015 C300 4Matic
I disabled the wifi feature which would stop the tethering of data and it didn't help at all. One thing I've been doing that helps (SOMETIMES....) is once I'm in the car, turning the bluetooth off and on (from my iPhone) and once it re/links then its usually a bit more reliable. It doesn't work 100% of the time but its usually better than if I don't do it.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C400
I've had issues with the bluetooth connectivity as well on my C400 and a Verizon iPhone 6+. It connects to the car just fine but it will often drop the bluetooth connection during a call or if I am on the phone and get in the car it will mute the music but won't allow the audio of the call to come over the car speakers and I still have to talk via the phone itself.

I have yet to try streaming any music via bluetooth as I just have a iPod connected via the lightning cable for my music.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:25 AM

C220 Bluetec
Interesting development, last night I got my iPhone 6 on O2 to provide an internet connection here in the UK.
The only difference to my previous attempts that all failed was that this was the first time I had tried to connect over 4G, I was in a fairly strong 4G signal area in Thurrock near the M25, I tried several of the Mercedes Benz apps and they all worked.
I drove off towards central London on the A127 where the signal changed to 3G the connection carried on I was listening to Internet radio streaming from the US, I managed to listen for some 6 miles until my phone rang and the connection eventually dropped.
I subsequently tried again the phone had reasonable 3G signal but the connection just timed out as per usual.
I can make no conclusions from this only that O2 do not stop car use as has been stated elsewhere, I will try again next week when I am near the same location.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:01 PM

C250 AMG Prem +
Nice one bowler900 think thats got it sorted
Ive just changed my APN setting to the O2 4G settings (even though I am only on 3G ) and Hey Presto its working.

For those that want to give it a go follow this for iPhone

Settings > Cellular > Cellular data network
You will then see the first APN setting is for Cellular data
Setting need to be changed to:

APN: mobile.o2.co.uk
Username: o2web
Password: password

Leave other APNs alone (Visual voicemail and MMS)

Restart Phone and check you still have 3G connection
Turn on Personal hotspot and all should work.

Shame that O2 could sort this for us all - Muppets!!!
Old 02-27-2015, 12:03 PM

2015 C300 4Matic
while that is exciting news, the thread is about the bluetooth connection constantly dropping while during phone calls. Anyone have any updates/fixes for that?
Old 02-27-2015, 12:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GL450, 2013 Lexus GS350 F-Sport
LOL!!

Back on topic.

Have you updated your iPhone 6 to the newest OS (Operating System)? Are all cables snugly connected? Try rebooting your phone, turn it completely off for a few minutes and turn it back on again.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:10 PM

C250 AMG Prem +
I have only had that problem a couple of times in the 3 months of owning the car
Ive just booked it in with the dealer to sort the COM box/Live traffic issues so I will ask if there are any updates surrounding the bluetooth module.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:18 PM

C220 Bluetec
Originally Posted by mightywhites
Nice one bowler900 think thats got it sorted
Ive just changed my APN setting to the O2 4G settings (even though I am only on 3G ) and Hey Presto its working.

For those that want to give it a go follow this for iPhone

Settings > Cellular > Cellular data network
You will then see the first APN setting is for Cellular data
Setting need to be changed to:

APN: mobile.o2.co.uk
Username: o2web
Password: password

Leave other APNs alone (Visual voicemail and MMS)

Restart Phone and check you still have 3G connection
Turn on Personal hotspot and all should work.

Shame that O2 could sort this for us all - Muppets!!!
Those settings are for Pay Monthly non-iPhone Tariff so the above is correct other things may not work.

For the sake of completeness I tried those settings, I live in a poor 3G signal area and it still timed out just as before, it seems to be a timeout issue to me as the connection tries 3 times before failing.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:35 PM

C250 AMG Prem +
To date everything else seems ok after changing the APN but will keep an eye open for other issues. Ive tried again to connect a couple of times and once got the time out.

These setting certainly made some progress but may not be the most robust solution.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:41 PM

2015 C300 4Matic
made a service appointment and went in. they said unfortunately iPhone 6 has known issues and there is no fix from them in sight. Supposedly its a software based fix that needs to come from apple. No other info/suggestions other than to delete/repair the phone (which doesn't help). Incredibly incredibly frustrating.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:14 AM

Mercedes C250 Bluetec AMG
I have the same issue with iPhone 6 and o2 and command, I decided to plug other phone Android based and it works fine, no issues. One thing I want to try is Internet via USB which is not supported by my phone only by the newest Android. Does anyone tried like that and has some issues?
Old 03-18-2015, 12:38 AM

B200T
Originally Posted by pavloPL
I have the same issue with iPhone 6 and o2 and command, I decided to plug other phone Android based and it works fine, no issues. One thing I want to try is Internet via USB which is not supported by my phone only by the newest Android. Does anyone tried like that and has some issues?
My old (Android 4.0) phone supported internet via USB.

But the W205 has to have Bluetooth tethering for its internet, not through USB.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 C43
iOS 8.3 appears to be more stable with the connection to the car.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 C43
Originally Posted by pcdsl
iOS 8.3 appears to be more stable with the connection to the car.
never mind, it still disconnects.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:58 PM

2015 C300 4Matic
yea. still present in ios 8.3 this is nuts.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:31 AM

2013 GLK 250
I have the same issues using an IPHONE 5S. It will not connect in my 20134 GLK 250 but will in another car. Absolutely no response from Mercedes to come up with an answer even after 2 years trying.