C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400
View Poll Results: Which one do you choose and please post why
2015 C300
89.58%
2014/2015 CLA 250
10.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

2015 C300 or 2014/2015 CLA 250??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 12:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C300W4, 2011 G37, 1998 528i Sport 5MT
It's not a fair fight. There is good reason the W205 is placed higher up the MB model line. It is the better car. In fact, the CLA doesn't even score well against it's competition. OTH, the C300/C400 is rated at the top of it's class. The target audience for these cars are very different. As for comfort, the back seat of the CLA is a joke. I have sat in one and hope to never have to do that again. Meanwhile, I get constant compliments on the relative spaciousness of my C300's backseats. Her parents will want the C300 for the backseats alone.
I won't get too deep into the difference in mechanicals, which again strongly favor the W205. However, FWD is for the birds. The only reason it exists in the CLA to save production costs. The C300 comes standard with rear wheel drive. As for looks, the CLA looks forced to me. OTH, the W205 design flows naturally, beautiful and aggressive at the same time. Then there is the interior where C300 wins in no contest.
Like I said, this one is not even a fair fight.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C250
Thanks so much guys, I will tell her what I've learnt from you guys here

Thanks CO2010, the picts look so convincing!!

Neither... if you want easy to park, should look at getting a luxury compact SUV.

A Porsche Macan, Range Rover Evoque, Audi Q5 type vehicle.
Oh yeah, she's not into SUV, even the compact one, she likes small sedan or small coupes

Cla is clearly inferior to the c300

C300 all the way

Cla trans is clunky and no one had good things in the car mags to say about it

Cla is built cheaply to be sold cheaper
I heard about the transmission too, I was driving a GLI before with dual clutch transmission , I was expecting something good from CLA's dual clutch transmission

Notwithstanding short-term plant issues for Alabama, by design, these cars are in very different leagues for overall performance, materials, comfort, and quality. The C Class is a far superior automobile in every one of those categories. The CLA loses just about every comparison test vs. other manufacturers, and has been labeled by some as not good enough to wear the MB star. C Class without a doubt.....Audi A3 or (if you can accept a two door) or BMW 2 Series before a CLA....heck, one road test said the Volkswagen CC or Buick Regal (a German based Opel Insignia) before a CLA!! Those felt more like a Mercedes-Benz than did the CLA per the road test!
That's what I heard and what I read on many reviews too

If her family is so filthy rich, why care about resale value?
She feels bad to her parents if she wasted so much money on it, won't you?

I think to be fair the same question and poll should be in the CLA forum.

Keep in mind CLA and C are aimed at different demographics. Since she is a student, a lot of interior pluses mentioned here by soccer moms or their beloved hushands, are not necessarily things a college student would care about.

The exterior of the new C class is also not styled to woo college kids either.

Conversely some of the negatives of a harsh ride and sporty feel of the CLA, may just be what a 20 year old would prefer, not to mention the cute little butt. It may be obnoxious to dad or mom, but likely thumbs up all among her peers.

In fact depending on how old she is, asking her to drive a MB C class around may make her an outcast among her crowd.
Honestly, things like the rear passengers comfortability comes in last, her parents might only come here once/twice a year anyway. Although I still insist CLA is not comfortable at all though

Oh yeah, she's 17, will be 18 soon
Old 02-20-2015, 01:16 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
W205
Depending on the circle, not driving a MB, BMW or Porsche could be an outcast.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLA45 AMG
Since she is practically a teenager, if you don't want her and her peers to hate or unfriend you, you know what car to recommend
Old 02-20-2015, 04:48 PM

2015 C300
She's a teenager, its all about her friends. What do they drive? You don't want her to be a show off, or a loser. Her circle maybe changing though since she is entering college soon.

I personally think that BMW 3 & 4 series, Audi A4 & A5 and Mercedes C Class/Coupe are great choices for college students. I opted for 4-doors so it's easier to carry passengers.

Honestly, don't worry about the cost (or resale value). $40k or $60k doesn't make a difference. Either she be a good kid and get a Honda Civic, or get a car she really wants (and admit she is a little spoiled). If she likes the CLA, so be it. Personally at 17, I would go for A5 or 4 series.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:54 PM

2014 CLA 45 AMG Edition1
As some have mentioned, this is a bit of a wonky comparison. Its like saying what is better the Audi A4 vs the Audi A3? Hands down most would choose the A4. Its a more refined and sporty vehicle with a ton more options.

I own a CLA45AMG and was given a C300 as a loaner car while in for service. My experiences for the week I had it...

CLA45: Plus's
-Sportier look - undeniably gorgeous lines
-Sportier feel - much more sport suspension set up
-head turner - people consistently ask me about my car and ask to take pictures. They assume its a 100K+ vehicle, unless they know the brand
-more power (45amg)
- more trunk space

CLA negatives:
-small
-little head room in rear seats
-sport suspension - stiffer more harsh ride ( I personally like this )
-transmission can feel wonky until you learn how to drive the car

C300 Plus's
- more refined
- comfortable ride
- easy to get in and out of
- great fuel economy
- AMG styling package is a must

C300 negatives:

- Boring lines, no real personality to the car
- slow
- everyone else has one
- barely notice a difference with the set up when changing from eco to sport

Overall I really enjoy both vehicles for different reasons. If I am out for a night on the town, heading to a track or looking to show off my car, I am hands down in the CLA. If I am going for a long drive down the highway and want comfort, you can't go wrong with the C300..it piratically drives itself.

Both would be good choices for your friend.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,418 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Who thinks the cla45 is a 100k car?
Old 02-20-2015, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by jsquared27
As some have mentioned, this is a bit of a wonky comparison. Its like saying what is better the Audi A4 vs the Audi A3? Hands down most would choose the A4. Its a more refined and sporty vehicle with a ton more options.
I'm not addressing the AMG version (haven't kept up with that version), but the difference is that the A3 is quite good at its job for its segment. CLA isn't. It's been dinged for mediocre capability and quality for a car in the entry luxury segment. We're not just comparing across segments, but within entry luxury, CLA shows beauty is only skin-deep. Even a new Accord is far better engineering and development if one can look past the brand name.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:56 PM

CLA45 AMG
Most reviews are not done by teenagers or 20 year olds, so the value of those reviews may not be high to a young driver.

Besides, one should at least drive the car to offer your own opinions, not just quote the reviews.

The MY15 CLA250 actually has substantial changes than MY14. I know because I drove an MY15 CLA250 loaner with nav (larger LCD and very sleek UI) and push button start. If it had leather options, pano roof and sport package, would have been a very attractive and upscale interior and exterior. Certainly more attractive than anything in its segment.

A3 and 4 series, or even 2 series would be too "old" for her age.

Last edited by dtc100; 02-20-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:58 PM

2014 CLA 45 AMG Edition1
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Who thinks the cla45 is a 100k car?
I have had two occasions with people who thought the car was a 100k car. They likely assumed it was a CLS?

I also have to agree with dct...you really have to drive these cars before you can just re hash what you read in magazines. I don't dis credit the car reviewers, but they do exhaggerat many of the issues. I am not saying these cars are perfect, nor am I saying they are better than a C300 or A3. I am simply saying go for a drive before you place judgement. You guys remind me of that character from the movie good will hunting who just quotes books to sound smart without forming any of his own thoughts.

Anyhow, I don't need to wate time on the forum arguing about which car is better. Like I said earlier, they are both great cars.
To the OP, I hooe your friend is happy with whatever she chooses. Good luck!
Old 02-20-2015, 11:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,418 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
I have had two occasions with people who thought the car was a 100k car. They likely assumed it was a CLS?

I also have to agree with dct...you really have to drive these cars before you can just re hash what you read in magazines. I don't dis credit the car reviewers, but they do exhaggerat many of the issues. I am not saying these cars are perfect, nor am I saying they are better than a C300 or A3. I am simply saying go for a drive before you place judgement. You guys remind me of that character from the movie good will hunting who just quotes books to sound smart without forming any of his own thoughts.

Anyhow, I don't need to wate time on the forum arguing about which car is better. Like I said earlier, they are both great cars.
To the OP, I hooe your friend is happy with whatever she chooses. Good luck!
Son...it's not your fault..... It's not your fault
Old 02-21-2015, 12:39 AM

Mercedes C300, BMW X5
I say neither CLA or C class. For a young driver, I recommend a car that has all the check mark in the insurance institute for highway safety. The accident rate is too high for young driver. Neither Mercedes CLA or 2015 C class has been tested by insurance institute. That is really too bad. The past is really no guarantee of future success. I don't understand why Mercedes didn't put it as a priority to get it tested.

I recommend:

1. Volvo S60 (sedan,) V60 (wagon,) or XC60 (SUV.) Then add technology package which includes pedestrian and cylist detection.

2. Subaru Impresza with all the options included.

Both of these cars have excellent accident prevention mechanism. You really need to make sure you click on that check mark with the proper options. Until Mercedes's C and CLA get tested by this institution, it is hard to recommend this car to a young driver in a city (since size is important.)

Last edited by solarflare; 02-21-2015 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Correct a typo of year for C class.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:23 AM

2014 CLA 45 AMG Edition1
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Son...it's not your fault..... It's not your fault
Hahaha nice1
Old 02-21-2015, 07:16 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
W205
Originally Posted by solarflare
I say neither CLA or C class. For a young driver, I recommend a car that has all the check mark in the insurance institute for highway safety. The accident rate is too high for young driver. Neither Mercedes CLA or 2015 C class has been tested by insurance institute. That is really too bad. The past is really no guarantee of future success. I don't understand why Mercedes didn't put it as a priority to get it tested.

I recommend:

1. Volvo S60 (sedan,) V60 (wagon,) or XC60 (SUV.) Then add technology package which includes pedestrian and cylist detection.

2. Subaru Impresza with all the options included.

Both of these cars have excellent accident prevention mechanism. You really need to make sure you click on that check mark with the proper options. Until Mercedes's C and CLA get tested by this institution, it is hard to recommend this car to a young driver in a city (since size is important.)
Wow, so all of us C owners are in gray danger?
Old 02-21-2015, 08:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes C200 (W205) Avantgarde petrol RWD
Originally Posted by miketc
Wow, so all of us C owners are in gray danger?
Well, given the demographics talked about earlier "soccer moms and their beloved husbands" we probably are in Gray danger
Old 02-21-2015, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by dtc100
Besides, one should at least drive the car to offer your own opinions, not just quote the reviews.

The MY15 CLA250 actually has substantial changes than MY14. I know because I drove an MY15 CLA250 loaner with nav (larger LCD and very sleek UI) and push button start. If it had leather options, pano roof and sport package, would have been a very attractive and upscale interior and exterior. Certainly more attractive than anything in its segment.

A3 and 4 series, or even 2 series would be too "old" for her age.
Agree completely about driving to form an opinion. I did, and the car's best assessment is a C+/B-...."mediocre". (Again, did not try the AMG variant). It's simply too under-engineered and developed for the class....forget how pretty it is. Accords and Mazda 6 have more competently designed powertrains and chassis than does CLA. The point about the press is the unanimity of the criticims, which doesn't always happen! No one has praised CLA as being a well-designed (not in the appearance sense....designed as in engineering sense of powertrain and chassis performance), and it always falls behind whatever else it's compared to. In contrast, the C Class W205 takes away top honors. That's a great car! Different development teams at MB, no doubt, with hugely different investment and variable cost targets.

I understand associating any 4 door with "age", but one needs to spend some time driving all three cars at the competitive price point (regardless of doors) CLA, A3, and 228/235. The only thing about the 2 or A3 which one could (subjectively) argue isn't as youthful is exterior design, even as a 2 door for the BMW, but as for driving....no contest. CLA is entrenched in third dynamically. I guess I'm here for driving experience as exponentially more important, and design is less so. We could always buy CLA posters for our garage walls....I agree it's quite pretty!

I also have to agree with dct...you really have to drive these cars before you can just re hash what you read in magazines. ... I am simply saying go for a drive before you place judgement. You guys remind me of that character from the movie good will hunting who just quotes books to sound smart without forming any of his own thoughts.
Like I said earlier, they are both great cars.
Actually, drove CLA and read the press before making my own choice, they are not both great cars. C Class is a great car! CLA is a low-budget attempt to make an affordable spash with CLS styling and a brand-name. Driving all the models mentioned here makes it quite clear, and we shouldn't be overwhelmed by brand loyalty, a pretty face, or being overly politically correct.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:24 AM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
c300
Originally Posted by rookiezxc
She feels bad to her parents if she wasted so much money on it, won't you?
Are u kidding me? If I had filthy rich parents like that? Hell no...I'll be asking for the moon.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:37 AM

CLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Agree completely about driving to form an opinion. I did, and the car's best assessment is a C+/B-...."mediocre". (Again, did not try the AMG variant). It's simply too under-engineered and developed for the class....forget how pretty it is. Accords and Mazda 6 have more competently designed powertrains and chassis than does CLA. The point about the press is the unanimity of the criticims, which doesn't always happen! No one has praised CLA as being a well-designed (not in the appearance sense....designed as in engineering sense of powertrain and chassis performance), and it always falls behind whatever else it's compared to. In contrast, the C Class W205 takes away top honors. That's a great car! Different development teams at MB, no doubt, with hugely different investment and variable cost targets.

I understand associating any 4 door with "age", but one needs to spend some time driving all three cars at the competitive price point (regardless of doors) CLA, A3, and 228/235. The only thing about the 2 or A3 which one could (subjectively) argue isn't as youthful is exterior design, even as a 2 door for the BMW, but as for driving....no contest. CLA is entrenched in third dynamically. I guess I'm here for driving experience as exponentially more important, and design is less so. We could always buy CLA posters for our garage walls....I agree it's quite pretty!

Actually, drove CLA and read the press before making my own choice, they are not both great cars. C Class is a great car! CLA is a low-budget attempt to make an affordable spash with CLS styling and a brand-name. Driving all the models mentioned here makes it quite clear, and we shouldn't be overwhelmed by brand loyalty, a pretty face, or being overly politically correct.
Politically correct? That line gave away your bias unrelated to actual debate.

Most criticisms of driving experience centered on the firm ride, harsh dual clutch shift, noise and delay in paddle shift reaction.

But if you look at who the CLA is aimed for, those youngsters driving modified Civic and STI, you know the above issues are not their concern, but a bragging right.

Now some of them achieved something in life and ready to join a different club, or happen to have rich parents and want to see their kids in the same club.

As I said, when I drove the brand new MY15 CLA250 loaner for two days, I never felt any of the above issues. It may be because I have an AMG, in comparison, the base CLA was more soft and compliant. MB did make significant changes after just one year, addressing many of the issues, including adding a comfort suspension option.

But again, it all depends what you are used to driving in the past. A 20 something driving a Civic without suspension and with a big leaf blower on the back, will not relate to your driving preference.

CLA happens to be MB's most successful lauch of a new model line around the world, ever, may be because there is a whole generation of potential drivers who don't necessarily share the traditional MB drivers' priorities?

I am not young, but I am willing to think for the potential drivers, his or her needs, rather tell them what I need, and why they need the same.

Last edited by dtc100; 02-21-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Politically correct? That line gave away your bias unrelated to actual debate.

Most criticisms of driving experience centered on the firm ride, harsh dual clutch shift, noise and delay in paddle shift reaction.

But if you look at who the CLA is aimed for, those youngsters driving modified Civic and STI, you know the above issues are not their concern, but a bragging right.

Now some of them achieved something in life and ready to join a different club, or happen to have rich parents and want to see their kids in the same club.

As I said, when I drove the brand new MY15 CLA250 loaner for two days, I never felt any of the above issues. It may be because I have an AMG, in comparison, the base CLA was more soft and compliant. MB did make significant changes after just one year, addressing many of the issues, including adding a comfort suspension option.

But again, it all depends what you are used to driving in the past. A 20 something driving a Civic without suspension and with a big leaf blower on the back, will not relate to your driving preference.

CLA happens to be MB's most successful lauch of a new model line around the world, ever, may be because there is a whole generation of potential drivers who don't necessarily share the traditional MB drivers' priorities?

I am not young, but I am willing to think for the potential drivers, his or her needs, rather tell them what I need, and why they need the same.
Well, perhaps the bias issue is a misunderstanding. I was perceiving and responding to what I thought was bias in the earlier generalized comment about both C and CLA being "great" cars, and we are on an MB website, so perhaps I read-in more bias than existed. However, I think we can all admit that as humans, we are inherently subjective, biased creatures, and we do our best to rise above it to have these discussions. As to being open to MB, we've had six, one still in our garage, and the next new car here will be another MB. I am likely no younger than you, and recognize the greatness in many MBs, including the new C, and the one we will get next for my wife, even though it's not what I prefer to drive every day, and I can separate the difference.

But, that doesn't mean everything MB does turns out well. That really is my point. The platform from which CLA is derived is one of their first attempts at FWD and not everyone gets a trophy for just showing up. Yes, their exterior design bedazzled many folks into buying one, but the engineering they got along with it is acceptable at best, but underperforming its class, notwithstanding what band-aiding they are now attempting.

Try this, close your eyes to brand and styling, and go drive a new Golf on VW's MQB platform, from the base model all the way to the most entertaining GTI (a reasonably "youthful" car). The harmonious performance of powertrain and chassis, the compliant suspension with excellent handling, the silkiness of the engine....that is engineering excellence overcoming the usual challenge of front wheel drive. MB may get there, but they haven't with this first generation. I can assure you the CLA team has several MQB platform vehicles in their development fleet, tearing them down to see what they can learn. It would not be unexpected that they do some personnel raiding to hire some FWD talent for the next platform.

Also, we don't know the young lady to whom the OP refers. She may or many not be a young person who wants a "kidney-crasher". Not all do just based on age. We had more than one in their late teens on the W204 forum who complained that the LUXURY model of that C Class did not ride smoothly enough! This preference goes with personality moreso than just age.

If she is concerned little with all but exterior design and brand, a CLA may be just fine for her. Our earlier chat had moved on to whether CLA meets the standards set for a new small front wheel drive car, and measured against the current engineering from competitors, it remains relatively lacking.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:28 PM

CLA45 AMG
Although most reviews voiced similar issues, they are not universal in final verdict. If you visit a CLA forum, you can find several links to the reviews that put the CLA ahead of A3 and V6 Accord for example.

CLA is also one of the fastest selling cars in the US in January, measured by how many days they stayed on dealer's lot. Granted limited supply is part of it.

Certainly an 18 year old can have the same preference as her mom and dad generations. But odds are against it.

I am simply pointing out the two models have very different purposes. It would not be fair to force a typical C class driver's view on her, not offer the other side of the story.

My story is when I bought a CLA45 for my own use, it ended up taken by my wife. I ended up have to drive her F30 335i.

You could argue the new 335i has the smoothest I6 engine in the world, and now the best 8 speed trans too. How can I then explain once she drove the bone crushing (she is not young either) sound deafening CLA45, there was no looking back at the engineering marvel of the 335i?

Last edited by dtc100; 02-21-2015 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
It would not be fair to force a typical C class driver's view on her, not offer the other side of the story.
Agreed! No forcing, she should get what pleases her most. But, no undue lenience to MB engineering either! CLA is not "The Best or Nothing", but sort of in-between.

Anyway, I am not a typical C Class owner, and probably wasn't before with a stick (~2-5% runner)...I'm now off having my own thrills with a manual trans, track package chassis setup, in a bright orange car, from the "other" Germans! I certainly realize that preference is in the small minority and don't recommend it to many others!

But, a new E Class will likely show up here when the new gen launches and my wife bids her current one farewell.

Talk about a mixed marriage!
Old 02-21-2015, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
You could argue the new 335i has the smoothest I6 engine in the world, and now the best 8 speed trans too. How can I then explain once she drove the bone crushing (she is not young either) sound deafening CLA45, there was no looking back at the engineering marvel of the 335i?
I realize you are exaggerating both vehicles' attributes to make your point. However, I would simply explain that she picked the car which she liked best, assessing the attributes most important to her, perhaps design and speed are her top two? That doesn't make the base CLA's actual capabilities better. Again, I am not addressing whatever the AMG team might have been able to accomplish with the disadvantaged base platform and powertrain starting point.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:57 PM

CLA45 AMG
Agreed! No forcing, she should get what pleases her most. But, no undue lenience to MB engineering either!
If you are driving an M235i, it may be a universally praised engineering masterpiece, it is also slower than the CLA45 on the track, and the 2 sells a lot less than CLA too.

BTW, the CLA45 is on the same FWD platform as the CLA250, and received similar complaints in many reviews.

It tells me not everyone conforms to the driving dynamics and engineering standards commonly appear on the news stands.

I have recently drove an S3 also. I can agree it is an engineering and high tech great achievement. The amount of techs was mind boggling, and the trans was soomther. It looked more mature should sell well. While it was clinically surperior and you could use many words to describe it, the word "passion" was not one of them, at least not for me.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
If you are driving an M235i, it may be a universally praised engineering masterpiece, it is also slower than the CLA45 on the track, and the 2 sells a lot less than CLA too.
And, to your earlier point, this is where the individual preferences come in to play. I've had my track days but don't ever go anymore (not sure who's older here!), so how the car feels to me in daily driving and my long trips trumps competitive/stopwatch speed. Anyway, a proper comparison would be the upcoming M2 to the CLA45.

Also, 2 series shares a small cross-loaded capacity of one plant at Liepzig. I believe CLA has far more capacity devoted to it, as well as naturally having more demand for being a 4-door, so sales should be quite higher.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:25 PM

CLA45 AMG
And, to your earlier point, this is where the individual preferences come in to play. I've had my track days but don't ever go anymore (not sure who's older here!), so how the car feels to me in daily driving and my long trips trumps competitive/stopwatch speed. Anyway, a proper comparison would be the upcoming M2 to the CLA45.

Also, 2 series shares a small cross-loaded capacity of one plant at Liepzig. I believe CLA has far more capacity devoted to it, as well as naturally having more demand for being a 4-door, so sales should be quite higher.
Agree can't wait to test drive the M2 and the Audi RS also. MB AMG already indicated an upgrade of the A class AMG. No one will be at a stand still.

And find out how the upcoming BMW FWD would be judged

Last edited by dtc100; 02-21-2015 at 02:27 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2015 C300 or 2014/2015 CLA 250??