C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Your secret COMMAND tips?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
Your secret COMMAND tips?

The COMMAND system is not very intuitive. I've read the manual and the voice command manual and am still a bit lost on how to use this thing to its full potential.

I wanted to start a thread for people to submit secret (or just not so apparent) tips on how to use this thing.

I have nothing to contribute since I just got my car, but I got a few questions that I could use help on:

1. When using an iPhone, is it possible to find other Artists/Albums, etc through the COMMAND system? Or do you have to switch that on the actual phone itself? I know how to change tracks, but can't figure out how to change albums. Is this not available with the iPhone? The voice command manual shows ways to do it, but is it limited to certain media devices?

2. Can you search for destinations by name? I know the POI has some establishments listed. But let's say you want to search for a restaurant name that is not programmed in the POI. How do you do that?

3. Can you write and send text messages by voice command?

Thanks in advance. This forum is awesome!
Old 03-22-2015, 11:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C300 4MATIC with Sport Package, Premium, Multimedia, Panorama Roof, Black Ash, & Blind Spot
Doesn't work on bluetooth. I wish it did. You have to have the iPhone directly connected with USB/Lightning cable. If you're in a state like I am that tickets you for texting or anything related to you messing with your phone you might as well connect it to the USB/Lightning.

If you do that make sure you pause the song first before disconnecting it. If not when you reconnect it it will either state "no audio or video files found" or "activating device" forever.

To reset the system press and hold CD eject button for some odd seconds.

You can't send text messages only read them.

Hopefully if ever Carplay comes to this model or anywhere it will correct the above.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C300 Sport 4Matic
Here's one questions I have for Command:

In relation to music playing only, is there any advantage to using an iPhone/iPod device for playing music over an SD Card or USB Stick?

I was thinking about purchasing a dedicated iPod Touch or Nano to connect to the Lightening cable...but maybe a memory card/stick is just as good?
Old 03-23-2015, 09:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by mtyson227
Here's one questions I have for Command:

In relation to music playing only, is there any advantage to using an iPhone/iPod device for playing music over an SD Card or USB Stick?

I was thinking about purchasing a dedicated iPod Touch or Nano to connect to the Lightening cable...but maybe a memory card/stick is just as good?
I think the USB offers easier solution, Connecting with lighting connector sounds much better than bluetooth. With USB you have tons of space to record at highest bit rates. Command doesn't recognize "lossless formats" like WAV or AIFF. It also won't play proprietary music you've downloaded from say the Apple Store unless it's on the device if you save them to USB....at least it won't for me.

I haven't learned any tricks for Command that aren't in the manual, but more rely on the voice control than anything. Once you learn the phrases it knows, it works well!