C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Front tyre wear - C250 UK - Castor Effects on Camber & tyre shoulder wear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 10:29 PM
SPONSOR

Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by LordElrond
I resurrect this thread...

I installed H&R lowering springs and K-Mac front camber kit yesterday, then I had my car aligned.

Adjusting K-Mac camber kit is a PITA (they're not meant to give easy access), but I have now -1,7° of camber and caster near the maximum.

Problem is that with lowering springs I have -2,6° of rear camber, that is insane and will destroy my tires.

In about a month I'll fit rear camber arms to correct this, and I'll recheck front alignment, locking finally bolts with their tab.

I have only two worries with them:
- 1. that they move and don't keep the setting.
I put the car again today on the alignment bench after a bit of spirited driving and it seems that they haven't moved, so far so good.
- 2. that they will wear out in a few thousand kms.
They seem reputable, I hope that this won't be the case. Even if Kevin at K-Mac, that has always been very helpful, sends me another set free of charge, fitting them is very expensive (150€ at a more than friendly rate) and I want to leave them alone for at least a few years.

Only time will tell, and I'll update with my findings... However, I can say that my car feels much more alive and all of the artificial understeer it had is gone. In low speed corners she doesn't seem to be the same car as before =D

LordElrond,

Hi (Kevin at K-MAC) – great that you have resolved the front excess Camber problem.

Fixing it right the 1st time with 4 times the adjustment range of the fluted bolts plus not the one offset position but instead precisely adjustable on car – accurately (under load) direct on alignment rack.

HAVE SET OUT BELOW BACKGROUND INFORMATION WHICH HOPE WILL EASE YOUR CONCERNS....

Re “adjusting K-MAC Camber kit is a PITA!!”
Surely not – what can be simpler than above – undoing the lock nut then wrench to rotate bolt head to the precise Camber and Caster settings required.

Last 40 or so years, bush adjustment has been labour intensive – recording then jacking, disassembly and removal of bush each time to change a setting!

The K-MAC patented design changed all that. At first glance many times it is asked “hey its different – how does this work?”

Often said the simplest design is the best design – and once you get your head around it you must agree – for precise adjustment it could not be simpler!

Bonus also with the K-MAC design (unlike most aftermarket brands which while they delete the OEM air voids/fluid to improve brake and steering response) is that 2 axis/self align movement is retained. So suspension arms can travel through their required arcs without binding/locking up.

Rear Camber arms: We do not manufacture these as to reduce premature inner edge wear they need to adjust top of arms outwards reducing all important clearance top of tire to outer fender.

Instead with K-MAC the lower arms are adjusted inwards and kit is supplied with additional Toe adjustment essential to compensate for the new Camber facility.

Bush extraction tool also included so no disassembly. These rear Camber bushes can be therefore fitted on car.

Adjustment like the front is again single wrench easily accessible (not like the Camber arms located deep inside the upper inner fender!)

Re your “only 2 worries”
1. Current kits are MK3 version. Feature higher torque loading with hardened teeth locking system and newly invented “tab lock” where impossible for nut to inadvertently loosen

2. Wear resistance – 52 years now in bush design with these bushes having twice the load bearing area of OEM. We have situations in all out 10/10ths competition racing where “race safety” scrutineers through comparison/evaluation rule K-MAC and only K-MAC bushings are allowed to be used.

TO SUMMARISE:
Problem at K-MAC is yes we do create controversy more than any other alignment kit manufacturer. But this is what is to be expected when out there full time designing, researching, creating new products, then proudly manufacturing in-house. Not merely sourcing imports and re-labelling or sitting on the fence – doing nothing flawlessly.

We were 1st with full front and rear adjuster kits to suit Mercedes Benz vehicles.

Now virtually every model 1968 to 2015. From the smaller A, B, CLA, GLA class to the larger sedans, wagons, SUV’s and Vito, Sprinter commercials along with now front adjuster top mounts for all strut (Coil Spring) suspensions.

Below are just a few of the actual Inventions/Patents and Patents pending:
  • The above mentioned single wrench on car “adjustable bushes”
  • “Sliding ball joint” adjuster for wishbone suspensions (now the industry standard)
  • “All positional” aperature for strut tops providing the biggest (and quickest) adjustment range.
  • 2005 up Mustang – Strut tops where “no removal or special tools” required.
  • 2010 up Camaro – “no strut top mods required”
  • Popular 2 bolt (Chapman) flange struts – Adjustment “without undersize crank bolts” and 3 times adjustment range with non slip locking
Old 12-01-2015, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 CLK 320 CDI
It's not hard because of design failure, adjustment is hard because of space constraints and 120 nm of torque required at the bolt

I hope you are right about durability. In a few week I'll recheck alignment and close the tab lock, and will report my findings.

I did about 500km since I have them installed and everything seems OK