C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Engine Shutting Itself Off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 01:47 PM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2012 E550 Sedan
The number of people that are experiencing the same problem warrants attention. It's not just happening to owners of the C-class. I've seen people in the current S-Class forum report the same problem of the engine shutting off while stopped, but the S-class forum doesn't get as many posts/contributors as the C-class.

I'd be shocked if Mercedes doesn't eventually issue a recall for this. 5 years ago ABC News did a report (YouTube link below) on a similar problem happening to BMW's N54 engines except that problem happened WHILE DRIVING, not while being stopped like you guys are reporting. Report the problem to www.nhtsa.gov

Old 10-21-2015, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Mercedes C400
What's the outcome on this issue with Mercedes? Any updates?
Old 10-22-2015, 05:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 C43
I brought my car in for 1) ESP + Collision Prevention Inoperative issue and 2) Car shutting off. They did a software update and asked me to monitor... we'll see if this is the right fix.

"22747 software attached das and battery charger and performed short test, found fault event codes, u0416fd, u0401fe, u140700, u0401fa, u0401fb, u041600, u0401fc, u0401ec in doc memory, checked for newer software in me, collision prevention assist modules and no newer software available, but new software is available for esp control unit, performed control unit programming and scn coding, checked tips and found tips document LI97.10-P-06219 removed right side kick panel and under carpet for water intrusion. no signs of water or corrosion found."

Last edited by pcdsl; 10-22-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
none
Not sure if this is related but the S Class Hybrid just got a recall for stalling. http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2015...ling-risk.html
Old 10-26-2015, 07:24 PM

2015 Mercedes C400
I have my car updated with the latest software but still happening... The engine stall and all warning lights came on at a traffic light. I saw the rpm went up to 1800 automatically then stalled. Good thing it was at a complete stop, imagine when I was driving and the engine rev up to 1800 suddenly and hit someone in front.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:57 PM

2015 C400
I've just experienced this for the 2nd time. In both instances the engine shut off at a stop light with the eco stop/start activated. I'm not sure what's causing it as I only notice when I try and accelerate after the light turns green.

I'm based in Toronto. Curious to know if anyone has received any feedback from local dealers. I'm scheduled to bring the car in for winter tires next week and plan on bringing this issue up.

Thanks
Old 10-26-2015, 09:04 PM

2015 Mercedes C400
Originally Posted by W205C400
I've just experienced this for the 2nd time. In both instances the engine shut off at a stop light with the eco stop/start activated. I'm not sure what's causing it as I only notice when I try and accelerate after the light turns green.

I'm based in Toronto. Curious to know if anyone has received any feedback from local dealers. I'm scheduled to bring the car in for winter tires next week and plan on bringing this issue up.

Thanks
Let me know how that works out. I brought it to the dealer's attention but they couldn't duplicate the issue. It happened to me once with the eco stop/start on and this time without eco stop/start on still happens.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:16 PM

2017 C43
I'm not 100% sure it's fixed yet. I still notice a slight rpm move today. I'll monitor it for another week or two and see. I might get a go pro and try to record it...
Old 11-02-2015, 11:17 PM

2017 C43
Just saw this recall on the S class. Pretty much the issue I have. Wonder why the C class doesn't get recalled.

"The vehicle stall may be interpreted by the driver to be a planned shut-down as part of the ECO-Start-function. However, the engine will not restart automatically after releasing the brake pedal, immobilizing the vehicle and increasing the risk of a crash."

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/29/m...lls-3800-cars/
Old 01-29-2017, 03:28 PM

c400
Same issue - anyone been able to resolve?

Saw this thread with interest, I've had the exact same issue with my C400 for over 2 years now. Uploaded a video of a more recent occurrence:

Curious if anyone else has had success having their dealership fix the stall issue, or reaching some other from of resolution with MB, particularly since the last post date in this thread?

Ironically, I've leased and serviced the car at MB Mississauga, who I've seen pop up quite a few times in this thread. Absolutely horrible service from that dealership relating to this issue. They've done everything from denying the issue exists, to replacing the transmission, engine plugs, and other components, all with the same core issue still happening. MB Canada has been equally unhelpful in resolving the issue, save for offering to sign me up on a new 3 year lease on a C300 at a higher price than I'm paying now.

Sincerely hope it doesn't take someone getting t-boned in an intersection before MB wakes up to the severity of this issue.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
Not sure this is would help but the Eco Stop module from MidCity engineering allows the car to retain its last auto start and Agility mode:

http://www.midcityengineering.com/device/eco-off/

You could permanently disable the auto start and see if that helps.

Last edited by Mike5215; 01-29-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:10 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
C400
Sorry to bump an old thread, but just wondering anyone had a definitive fix from MB for the engine stall issue? I've been reading it could be corrected through software updates or replacing the crank sensor and pulse ring, but not sure if those were confirmed.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2019, 11:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
I have a 2017 C43 and went to dealer to fix twice already. 1st time, they replaced the battery, 2nd time the transmission valve...
The car just stalled again yesterday.

I also want to know if anyone fixed at dealership and the issue was permanent fixed.
I'm in Greater Toronto Area.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:15 PM

C400
Took mine in and the techs diagnosed it as a faulty voltage dip limiter (similar to some others on the forum) - there was apparently a MB note on the issue. Hoping that's it.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:12 PM

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
C63S
Same just happened to mine, 2019, C63s. Eco stop/start at the lights, lights turned green and nothing, just all the lights on and the button did nothing. Called SOS, while on the phone I tried it again and if started. Switched off the stop/start for the rest of the journey.

Think I'll be calling the dealer on Monday.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by SimMB
Same just happened to mine, 2019, C63s. Eco stop/start at the lights, lights turned green and nothing, just all the lights on and the button did nothing. Called SOS, while on the phone I tried it again and if started. Switched off the stop/start for the rest of the journey.

Yes, the car can restart again right after.
You will be just embarrassing to got stalled in the middle of the traffic and get honked at.

I went to the dealer again for the 3rd time and then I gave up. I just disabled the eco start/stop button all the time.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:32 PM

c300
I have the same issue now with me 2015 C300

Originally Posted by pcdsl
Hey guys, I had this happen to me 3 times now. When idling at the light (just started the car and drove out the parking lot at work), the car would shut itself off. All the warning lights will come on (It's not the Eco feature). I have to restart the car with the push start to reset it. Then it'll work fine. I'm going to have to find a way to film it next time it happens to show the dealer. ODB2 reader doesn't show any codes, and the car display is not showing any error messages. A few occasions I saw the RPM move up slightly and then back down; this happens right before the car engine shuts off.

Wondering if anyone else had this issue? i remember seeing someone else might have had this happen to them before.

Im having the same issue now! It will turn off! I call the dealer it didnt do it while they had it now its doing it more often and i was able to take videos! Did you ever find out what it was,??
Old 08-20-2019, 01:41 AM

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by Peter Castle
Im having the same issue now! It will turn off! I call the dealer it didnt do it while they had it now its doing it more often and i was able to take videos! Did you ever find out what it was,??
I didn't take it in as I didn't have enough time to get it looked at. Mercedes service did call me back and apologised, said we'd monitor it. Hasn't fine it since and I've driven with eco start. However, I work overseas so I've not been with the car for a few weeks. My wife has driven it, bit not that often and it hasn't reoccurred, if it does I'll report it again to Mercedes.
Old 10-26-2019, 12:45 PM

C400
Update - the stall happened again yesterday. This is after getting the voltage dip limiter replaced, so it'll be going in for another diagnosis. Anyone else have an update on alternate troubleshooting or fixes?

Same exact symptoms as before:
- Eco start/stop disabled
- Car driven a short distance after a cold start; engine still not up to temperature
- Stopped at the lights with foot on the brake
- Slight judder then engine stalls and all warning lights lit on dash; transmission shifts itself to neutral
- Restart the car - car starts normally with no warnings or CEL; have to shift back into D

This is quite dangerous, so I'm going to be escalating this up through Mercedes Corp
Old 11-16-2019, 02:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c400
Originally Posted by DylanM
Update - the stall happened again yesterday. This is after getting the voltage dip limiter replaced, so it'll be going in for another diagnosis. Anyone else have an update on alternate troubleshooting or fixes?

Same exact symptoms as before:
- Eco start/stop disabled
- Car driven a short distance after a cold start; engine still not up to temperature
- Stopped at the lights with foot on the brake
- Slight judder then engine stalls and all warning lights lit on dash; transmission shifts itself to neutral
- Restart the car - car starts normally with no warnings or CEL; have to shift back into D

This is quite dangerous, so I'm going to be escalating this up through Mercedes Corp
any update?
Old 11-16-2019, 04:06 PM

C400
Tech checked and there were no stored codes, and they couldn’t recreate (exactly the outcome I expected).

They will be trying to get the issue to reoccur over the weekend - if they can’t, will see if a TIPS note can be escalated to MB. If any others are having the same issue, I’d recommend pushing for a tips note as well (it’ll help the engineers pull in multiple data points - especially if they need to issue a TSB).
Old 04-29-2020, 03:52 PM

w213 e350d
Originally Posted by DylanM
Tech checked and there were no stored codes, and they couldn’t recreate (exactly the outcome I expected).

They will be trying to get the issue to reoccur over the weekend - if they can’t, will see if a TIPS note can be escalated to MB. If any others are having the same issue, I’d recommend pushing for a tips note as well (it’ll help the engineers pull in multiple data points - especially if they need to issue a TSB).
sorry for bumping this thread but have there been any solutions found for this issue, Dylan? I own w213 e350d and experiencing same exact symptoms as described in your previous reply.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:13 PM

C400
Hi there - yes they were able correct it with two separate software updates. I'll try and see if I can find the specific references in my service records. If you have the same symptoms, you can ask your service department if there is now a TIPS note.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:26 PM

2016 cla250 4matic
Car stalling when stopping at traffic lights or slowing down on road (solution/fixed)

Originally Posted by pcdsl
Hey guys, I had this happen to me 3 times now. When idling at the light (just started the car and drove out the parking lot at work), the car would shut itself off. All the warning lights will come on (It's not the Eco feature). I have to restart the car with the push start to reset it. Then it'll work fine. I'm going to have to find a way to film it next time it happens to show the dealer. ODB2 reader doesn't show any codes, and the car display is not showing any error messages. A few occasions I saw the RPM move up slightly and then back down; this happens right before the car engine shuts off.

Wondering if anyone else had this issue? i remember seeing someone else might have had this happen to them before.

Hey i had the same problem with my 2016 cla250 4matic. I faced the stalling problem like 2-3 time a day. I got it checked from mercedes benz first but they denied that nothing is wrong with the car because it doesn't give any engine code. Then i got it checked from a mechanic outside. He told that my fuel pump was faulty. Then i again went back to mercedes benz and asked them to keep the car for 2-3 days and take as much time they want... Then they agreed that yes the pump is faulty and they replaced it... Its been 2 month now and car is running really good without any problem.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:29 PM

2016 cla250 4matic
Solution

Originally Posted by SimMB

Its the faulty fuel pump problem. I had same problem with my 2016 cla250. Benz replaced my fuel pump under warranty and everything is running good now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Shutting Itself Off