C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Hybrid gearbox problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 02:05 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 C 180 AMG Sportline W205
There is no solution for the gear box until Mercedes releases new software in September/October.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:20 AM
RTX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015, W205, C 220 BlueTEC AMG Line
I drove several W205 (Diesel, Petrol, Hybrid), including mine, and they all shift rather well.
Indeed, this is more/less tied to driving styles. The car learns from the driver (over time, and throughout a given session).

I deliberately put it in S+/shift manual or I* (sporty/manual), if I want to do a quick/aggressive run.
I drive mostly in C, and occasionally use the pedals to correct the behaviour of the selected gear.
I frequently use cruise control, at different speeds.

In Diesel/Hybrid, 2nd gear should come at 2K RPM, 3rd comes also around 2 -2.5K. If you drive constantly at let’s say 50-60 km/h, the car should put itself into 4th or 5th (eventually).

Depending on the road, the both diesel/hybrid models may start at 2nd.
Hybrids, by the time the engine kicks in, 2nd or 3rd may be selected.

Accelerating progressively and anticipating traffic/stops is an excellent way to teach the car, if you want to master this, and calibrate the TCU at the same time, use the ECO display – it guides you to drive the way MB thinks it’s best for the car.

Hybrids calibration can be done by driving, efficiently, without the assistance of the electric motor, for a couple of days at variable speeds.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Well if they learn, mine's learned how to **** me off! Just driving up a hill results in jerky/snapping shifts from D1 to D2 to D3 never mind the cold running D2 to D3 head bobbing, rev flaring change I get every morning.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205 C300 Hybrid AMG Line
Originally Posted by MB205
Okay looks like I spoke too soon. The gearbox has gone back to the way it was with the extremely poor shift from 1st to 2nd and the others being slower than usual and clunking on the downshift. Noticed this Monday last week. Traffic updates are also intermittent. Back to the dealer...
Update on my last post. Since then I took the car back and was actually told there was indeed a software update out which apparently detailed that it was a specific fix for this jerking issue. I was also told there was an update for the ECU.

As soon as I drove out the dealer the jerk had gone however it definitely didn't feel as crisp as it did after the first time I took it back to the dealer. Sure enough a couple of weeks later the jerk was back.

It's now with the dealer again and I'm told that Mercedes have informed them to take out the sump and also order in a new gearbox control unit which is being fitted today.

As an aside I've been in an E220d loaner since last Friday and the gearbox is SO much better. Upshifts are instant and almost dual clutch like, yet this is not a DCT box. As has been mentioned hopefully with some more updates to the software Mercedes will bring the W205 up to scratch. Have to question though, if they perfected the same box on other vehicles, why can't this one take on board all of the learnings from the previous vehicles?

I'll update once I hear more info
Old 07-21-2015, 08:07 AM

W205 C300 Hybrid AMG Line
Originally Posted by RTX
I drove several W205 (Diesel, Petrol, Hybrid), including mine, and they all shift rather well.
Indeed, this is more/less tied to driving styles. The car learns from the driver (over time, and throughout a given session).

I deliberately put it in S+/shift manual or I* (sporty/manual), if I want to do a quick/aggressive run.
I drive mostly in C, and occasionally use the pedals to correct the behaviour of the selected gear.
I frequently use cruise control, at different speeds.

In Diesel/Hybrid, 2nd gear should come at 2K RPM, 3rd comes also around 2 -2.5K. If you drive constantly at let’s say 50-60 km/h, the car should put itself into 4th or 5th (eventually).

Depending on the road, the both diesel/hybrid models may start at 2nd.
Hybrids, by the time the engine kicks in, 2nd or 3rd may be selected.

Accelerating progressively and anticipating traffic/stops is an excellent way to teach the car, if you want to master this, and calibrate the TCU at the same time, use the ECO display – it guides you to drive the way MB thinks it’s best for the car.

Hybrids calibration can be done by driving, efficiently, without the assistance of the electric motor, for a couple of days at variable speeds.
I get the benefits of the gearbox learning your driving style i.e. how long you may want it to stay in gear etc but I don't see why there should be any need for it to actually be calibrated by the driver or taught, nor do I see how there could be any correlation between the gearbox shifting poorly and how someone drives (putting aside mechanical faults).

Surely the gearbox can't learn itself to shift poor?
Old 07-28-2015, 08:43 AM

C300 Bluetec Hybrid
Mine still the same, now compounded by squeaking front brakes and creaking rear suspension! Not to mention the rattling drivers door when the window is shut...
Old 09-03-2015, 12:52 PM

C300 diesel hybrid
Guys, any update on your transmission problems and software updates from your dealers?

I picked up a C300 hybrid last weekend from Teeside; it was a demo run for three months. Overall happy with one exception. Seems I have the exact same or a variation of the second gear shift problem. It doesn't matter if I'm in electric mode coasting or diesel mode using the paddles. The shift up or down to second gear is really abrupt, noticeable to all passengers which I think MB should be embarrassed about on a 40 grand car. I have booked it in the the local dealer but unfortunately I'm travelling so won't be until October. Hopefully MB will have a TCU update by then.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:42 AM

C300 Bluetec Hybrid
Just to advise there is a recall to add anti-foaming agent to gearbox to stop oil cavitation on downchanges, just had mine done yesterday.