C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400
Old 06-24-2015, 07:17 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Run flats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 01:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
C250 Polar White, Night Package
Run flats

without realising the C class does not have a spare wheel I have gone and ordered my car with normal tyres, not run flats. I did this as I thought the ride quality would somehow be impacted by run flats.

Is this really the case? or should I try changing to run flats asap?

Thank you!
Old 05-04-2015, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
I thought I'd at least try the runflats first when I ordered my 2015 C300 Sport with 19" wheels & Summer tires before even thinking about switching to regular tires, especially since I don't want to buy a donut spare and use up all my truck space.

The C300 w/run flats I test drove didn't feel too bad, but I think I'll end up buying a takeoff set of the stock 18" AMG wheels/tires for the Winter, and use one of the 7.5" width wheels as a spare on long trips in the Summer.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:40 PM

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
Originally Posted by CornishPasty
without realising the C class does not have a spare wheel I have gone and ordered my car with normal tyres, not run flats. I did this as I thought the ride quality would somehow be impacted by run flats.

Is this really the case? or should I try changing to run flats asap?

Thank you!
If your car isn't equipped with the TPMS wheel sensors, you could just put a can of tire goo in your trunk along with a small 12v air compressor. That should get you out of trouble in as much as a run-flat will.

From what I've seen so far people are shying away from the run flat tires - firstly they're a lot stiffer and secondly they're also hideously expensive.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205 C250 Bluetec AMG Line
In saying that.. I had Continental 18" RFT on my F30 and it was hideously stiff and rigid.. after 9 months I changed them out to 18" Continental NON RFT and it made only a very small difference in comfort.. the main reason I swapped out is that I couldn't get a replacement RFT for three months.

the 19" Continental RFT on my W205... are definitely a world ahead.. same roads I drove the BMW on yet the ride is 100 times better... yes this may have a fair bit to do with Airmatic.. I guess it really comes down to what car your coming from and the roads in your area.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:52 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
I feel the run-flats give an inferior ride, although I can't compare the ride to non run-flats on the C300. I checked two dealers and both said they would not install non run-flats due to liability reasons.

At some point (and definitely when my tires need replacing) I will put on conventional tires.

Car manufactures need to get away from run-flats. The disadvantages far outweigh the advantages.

I received my JD Power survey today and I slammed Mercedes for the run-flat tires.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:53 PM

I just checked Costco and they too will not install non run-flats unless you can show them you have a compatible spare tire.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C400
Originally Posted by digitallust_aus
In saying that.. I had Continental 18" RFT on my F30 and it was hideously stiff and rigid.. after 9 months I changed them out to 18" Continental NON RFT and it made only a very small difference in comfort.. the main reason I swapped out is that I couldn't get a replacement RFT for three months.

the 19" Continental RFT on my W205... are definitely a world ahead.. same roads I drove the BMW on yet the ride is 100 times better... yes this may have a fair bit to do with Airmatic.. I guess it really comes down to what car your coming from and the roads in your area.
I'm thinking it's the airmatic that is making most of the difference for you. I don't find the RFTs on my C400 to be any better than on my E92.

Trending Topics

Old 05-05-2015, 11:29 PM

W205 C250 Bluetec AMG Line
Originally Posted by chicagofan00
I'm thinking it's the airmatic that is making most of the difference for you. I don't find the RFTs on my C400 to be any better than on my E92.
Might be the case, however the test drive I had before I ordered was non-airmatic and I did find a difference straight away.. who knows.. Im a first to MB owner... it must be the refinement of the MB that pushed it ahead of the BMW perhaps
Old 05-05-2015, 11:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CLA-250, C-300
Originally Posted by chicagofan00
Good point, I was going to chime in and say how forgiving these new 19" SP RF are compared to the RF I got on the CLA, but my CLA ran the same RF (I have the CLA SP with the same 18" that come with the standard C SP), but I the airmatic is a very different, flexible and forgiving setup, so to your point, the only way I will find out is when I change my wheels in June (hopefully).
Old 05-05-2015, 11:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CLA-250, C-300
Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
I just checked Costco and they too will not install non run-flats unless you can show them you have a compatible spare tire.
America's tire is more flexible, they allowed me to change all four no-spare, but they would not mix RF with -RF (rightfully so due to the potential hazard).
Old 05-05-2015, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by bartola
America's tire is more flexible, they allowed me to change all four no-spare, but they would not mix RF with -RF (rightfully so due to the potential hazard).
Costco said if you used the "slime" it would void the warranty. Not sure that is true because even instructional videos at MBUSA and the on line manual advise to carry their tire fit kit (slime/compressor) if you use traditional tires.

We have an America's Tire and I will check with them. THANKS!
Old 05-06-2015, 09:32 PM

B200T
Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
Costco said if you used the "slime" it would void the warranty. Not sure that is true because even instructional videos at MBUSA and the on line manual advise to carry their tire fit kit (slime/compressor) if you use traditional tires.

We have an America's Tire and I will check with them. THANKS!
Maybe the warranty on the RFT sensors?
Old 05-07-2015, 09:54 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
W205
Does RF from different manufacturers offer differences in ride and tire noise complains? I have 17" Pirelli RFs and I'm satisfied with the ride quality and noise. Of course 17" also help.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:06 PM

C220 AMG Line
Done just 8k on my Pirrelli P Zeros - not wearing well at all despite doing alot of motorway miles. All four will require changing in a few more thousand miles! Wont be putting P Zeros on again.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
I ran 18" non-runflat snow tires all winter. Granted, the more aggressive tread design is somewhat louder than all-seasons, but I expected the ride to be more compliant on the softer tires. Surprisingly, that wasn't the case.

While the snows had less "thump" over pavement breaks, the ride really wasn't much different. Maybe a bit more muted, but the difference was much less than I had expected.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C400
Originally Posted by Engr Steve
Done just 8k on my Pirrelli P Zeros - not wearing well at all despite doing alot of motorway miles. All four will require changing in a few more thousand miles! Wont be putting P Zeros on again.
Not really all that surprising. Run flats don't seem to wear very well at all from my experience. I had to replace all four of mine on my 335 within the first 20,000 miles at a cost of $2k. Only have 3,800 miles on the C400 so we'll see how well they last but I don't have high hopes. On the "plus" side of things it looks like a set of four now runs about $1,500.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Any news Glyn on South Africa MB's investigations into manufacturing a replacement spare tyre holder in boot.?
Old 05-10-2015, 10:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
I don't like run flats but seems inevitable they will be the only choice. Hopefully more great strides in improvement, but physics of harder sidewall hard to ignore unless some new compound inventions.

Supposedly new driveguard by Bridgestone is the leas "run flat" like. Friend with A Mini running them said they're a big upgrade from his previous run flats. I have no personal experience.

If my Conti run flats went, I would look for an alternative though.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by floridadriver

I don't like run flats but seems inevitable they will be the only choice. Hopefully more great strides in improvement, but physics of harder sidewall hard to ignore unless some new compound inventions.
Personally I think this elusive goal of a run-flat tire ever riding like a non-flat tire is fantasy, and the only reason the market is gravitating this way is purely to cut costs or increase profit...for both the car & tire manufacturers. You need either tire pressure OR a stiffer sidewall to support the weight of the vehicle...and we all know the tradeoff of having a stiffer sidewall is a stiffer ride.

Current run-flat tires won't help in the least if you end up shredding a tire from road debris, accident, or a good hit up against a curb. Your only choice in those scenarios is having a spare or calling a tow truck.

Other than a multiple flat situation or limiting the chance of having to change a flat tire yourself, what are benefits of having run flat tires because all I seem to focus on are the negatives:

1) Increased cost
2) Stiffer ride
3) No spare tire from the manufacturer
4) Increased tire (rotational) weight
5) Increased difficulty finding replacement run-flats in emergency situations
6) Usually require a replacement instead of repair

Last edited by MASSC450; 05-10-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
C250 Polar White, Night Package
Originally Posted by MASSC300
Personally I think this elusive goal of a run-flat tire ever riding like a non-flat tire is fantasy, and the only reason the market is gravitating this way is purely to cut costs or increase profit...for both the car & tire manufacturers. You need either tire pressure OR a stiffer sidewall to support the weight of the vehicle...and we all know the tradeoff of having a stiffer sidewall is a stiffer ride.

Current run-flat tires won't help in the least if you end up shredding a tire from road debris, accident, or a good hit up against a curb. Your only choice in those scenarios is having a spare or calling a tow truck.

Other than a multiple flat situation or limiting the chance of having to change a flat tire yourself, what are benefits of having run flat tires because all I seem to focus on are the negatives:

1) Increased cost
2) Stiffer ride
5) Increased difficulty finding replacement run-flats in emergency situations.
I am tending to agree with you here also MASSC. I am going to stick with the normal tyres and in the scenario that we really have a flat tyre call the breakdown service out. I have never had a flat tyre in all the years I have driven. I did once have a slow puncture but I could at least drive on that temporarily until I was able to replace the tyre
Old 05-10-2015, 06:29 PM

2015 C-300 4matic,Polar White, Black MB-tex,Premium 1,Burmester,partial LED,open pore black ash
Dramatic Improvement

I switched my 17 inch run flats (Pirellis) for conventional tires (Michelin Premier) and found a dramatic improvement in ride quality. The ride on run flats was so harsh and jarring that it gave me lower back pain.
As I mentioned in a previous thread if I were to rate the ride quality on run flats as a zero and a perfect ride as a 10, I would rate the ride with conventional tires as a 7- dramatic improvement.
Unfortunately Mercedes refused to make the switch so I'm stick with 4 run flats and out $1200. CornishPatsy you're fortunate to be given a choice.
I have never had a flat tire and if I did would not change the tire myself.Should that happen I will call roadside assistance.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:48 PM

Audi S4
Originally Posted by MASSC300

1) Increased cost
2) Stiffer ride
5) Increased difficulty finding replacement run-flats in emergency situations
6) Usually require a replacement instead of repair
Manufacturers claim the following as benefits:

1. Increased trunk space/interior volume due to no spare wheel.

2. Decreased vehicle weight due to no spare wheel, jack, tools, etc.

3. Increased "safety" in the event of a blowout.

Those of you who are experiencing issues changing out your run-flats need to find a better wheel/tire shop. Better yet, use it as a chance to order new wheels along with the new non-run flat tires. Tirerack.com will get you an entire new set of wheels and tires in 2 days flat.

Last edited by CorradoJr; 05-10-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by bartola
I went in to America's Tire today and explained my situation (wanting to switch from RF's to Non RF's. They said they would do it, but then went on to try and sell me Bridgestone DriveGuards, another RF tire. I told them I would research it, but there is NO way I'm switching one RF for another!
Old 05-11-2015, 07:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by TorontoBenz
I switched my 17 inch run flats (Pirellis) for conventional tires (Michelin Premier) and found a dramatic improvement in ride quality. The ride on run flats was so harsh and jarring that it gave me lower back pain.
As I mentioned in a previous thread if I were to rate the ride quality on run flats as a zero and a perfect ride as a 10, I would rate the ride with conventional tires as a 7- dramatic improvement.
Unfortunately Mercedes refused to make the switch so I'm stick with 4 run flats and out $1200. CornishPatsy you're fortunate to be given a choice.
I have never had a flat tire and if I did would not change the tire myself.Should that happen I will call roadside assistance.
Interesting to hear more of your review of differences, the Michelin Premier is high on my list as a potential replacement. How large (if any) of a difference in noise? This seems to be one of the concerns online of this tire. How do you find ride smoothness/cornering differences? I have Conti RF, and uncertain if there's a difference between them and the Perelli RF. The Non RF version of the Perelli C7 is very highly rated.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by floridadriver
Interesting to hear more of your review of differences, the Michelin Premier is high on my list as a potential replacement. How large (if any) of a difference in noise? This seems to be one of the concerns online of this tire. How do you find ride smoothness/cornering differences? I have Conti RF, and uncertain if there's a difference between them and the Perelli RF. The Non RF version of the Perelli C7 is very highly rated.
The last time I checked this site: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=GTAS
the Michelin Premiers were rated higher for noise, but now I see the Pirellis are rated higher, but Michelin is still better for ride quality.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Run flats