C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400
View Poll Results: Do you have a wind noise problem with your W205?
I have no unusual wind noise in my car.
40.91%
I have some wind noise at higher speeds.
39.39%
I have some wind noise all the time.
7.58%
I have severe wind noise and consider it unacceptable.
12.12%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Wind Noise Poll: Yes or no?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2015 | 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Wind Noise Poll: Yes or no?

This is a simple poll which will hopefully define the percentage of forum members who are experiencing the often discussed wind noise problem.

Some cars have it, some don't. Country of origin seems to have no bearing on the frequency or severity of the problem.
Old 06-04-2015 | 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Equally this can be user specific in that what one person considers normal may irritate someone else which skews such polls. There may be a car that one owner considers noisy but then another person gets in and doesn't know what the fuss is about.
Old 06-04-2015 | 09:45 AM

2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
Just a reminder folks, its "WIND noise" nothing else
Old 06-04-2015 | 10:03 AM

2015 C300 RWD Sport Premium
No wind noise here.
Old 06-04-2015 | 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't get the no wind noise thing. Every car has wind noise at some speed or another, you're carving up air.
Old 06-04-2015 | 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ManiacGT
I don't get the no wind noise thing. Every car has wind noise at some speed or another, you're carving up air.
That's why I worded option one as "no unusual wind noise," rather than "no wind noise." No bothersome levels of wind noise under normal driving conditions is what this refers to.

The wind noise problems that have been discussed on this and other forums describe unusually high levels of wind noise under normal driving conditions. They have been described as sounding like driving with a window open, or a constant fluttering sound. That would certainly qualify as unusual, as well as very annoying.
Old 06-04-2015 | 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by StanNH
That's why I worded option one as "no unusual wind noise," rather than "no wind noise." No bothersome levels of wind noise under normal driving conditions is what this refers to.

The wind noise problems that have been discussed on this and other forums describe unusually high levels of wind noise under normal driving conditions. They have been described as sounding like driving with a window open, or a constant fluttering sound. That would certainly qualify as unusual, as well as very annoying.
My post related to the one above mine from CO2010
Old 06-04-2015 | 10:52 AM

2015 C300 RWD Sport Premium
Yes, let me clarify. I don't get any unusual wind noise at any speeds.
Old 06-04-2015 | 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CO2010
Yes, let me clarify. I don't get any unusual wind noise at any speeds.
Thank you for that. This is an example of how interpretation means quite differing comments on here. What you consider normal (not unusual) wind noise, someone else may consider irritating levels of wind noise. This is what makes a poll or any of these wind related threads a bit flakey as really you'd need a group of people trying out each others cars and cars from other manufacturers to realise whether or not this is an actual issue.
Old 06-04-2015 | 10:58 AM

2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
I hear some buffeting/fluttering at 80 MPH or so but nothing that bothers me if the music is on. I voted "some at higher speeds".
Old 06-04-2015 | 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My post related to the one above mine from CO2010
Here's where the whole "wind noise" issue becomes blurred. There are several sources of noise one might hear in a moving vehicle. These include engine, road, tire, wind, and outside sounds. The wind noise that most of us are referring to is specific to the doors and windows. These high wind noise levels are likely related to an issue with the door or window seals, in that wind noise comes into the cabin through those very well defined areas.

Outside noise can be generated from many external sources, including wind gusts and crosswinds. That has more to do with the car's insulation from outside sound than it does with poor seals that allow wind to penetrate through those seals. So, yes, it is likely that some air flow over or across the body of the car can be heard inside the cabin, but that's not caused by an air leak through the window or door seals.

I have no "unusual" wind noise in my own car, but that's not to say I can't hear the sound of severe crosswinds or gusts at highway speeds. Normally, at speeds up to about 70 mph, I really can't say that either my wife or I have ever heard anything that I would classify as anything but very hushed wind noise. The car is quiet, and I typically get much more road and tire noise than anything else.
Old 06-04-2015 | 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you for that. This is an example of how interpretation means quite differing comments on here. What you consider normal (not unusual) wind noise, someone else may consider irritating levels of wind noise. This is what makes a poll or any of these wind related threads a bit flakey as really you'd need a group of people trying out each others cars and cars from other manufacturers to realise whether or not this is an actual issue.
The results of an informal poll like this have to be subjective. But it is the current single biggest complaint being discussed online, so this might at least provide some idea of how widespread the problem is.

Some who have complained vehemently about wind noise, have also admitted that no one else can hear it. Others have stated that they didn't realize they even had a problem until it was pointed out to them.

I think many of us are simply curious to see how many here perceive wind noise to be a real issue with their cars.
Old 06-04-2015 | 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

True, I'm not trying to negate your initiative. I'm simply pointing out its quite subjective and not really that indicative.
Old 06-04-2015 | 12:29 PM

2017 C43 Sedan
Some noise at high speed

I can hear wind noise at high speed 60+ mph (if I listen carefully.. while music is off). when I have music on, and usually all the time, I don't find the wind noise to be annoying.

I have compared my friend's W205, he has less wind noise at similar speed on the same road. But still, mine is not at "unacceptable noise level" or "noise like window is down".

I voted "some noise at high speed".

My personal experience: I only heard wind noise at high speed, but thought it's normal. After I saw threads discussing "wind noise", I listened carefully and started identifying that. I thought I had wind noise.... But it seems it's just normal or a bit above the normal level - still fall into the normal range.
Old 06-04-2015 | 03:17 PM

C220 Bluetec
Define high speed, I have a whistling sound above 200 km/h but to be honest, it can be expected.

In crosswind I have a small flutter at 130 km/h.
Old 06-04-2015 | 04:14 PM

'13 VW Touareg, '15 Harley Ultra Limited, '15 C300 Spt, '14 Airstream Interstate, '16 VW Tiguan
A course of action that I believe would get MBZ's attention is to create a website that informs the public about the excessive road/wind noise with some builds. I for one don't have the expertise to create a website but I'm sure someone here does. I would certainly contribute to a fund to help this happen. Comments welcome.
Old 06-04-2015 | 04:57 PM

C300
Seal replacement helped mine a lot. The car had a lot of wind noise, like door not shut. Many of my passengers thought it sounded quiet though. I think this poll shows how well people on this forum can hear, and their tolerance for this specific noise, more than the number of cars with a defect. It's the loudest wind noise car (with a roof) I ever rode in before the fix. Now, it's pretty good. My cousins Chevy Malibu quieter for sure. He paid less too . MB should be ashamed.
Old 06-05-2015 | 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What MB should be doing is quietly and proactively contacting each customer that has complained of wind noise and work with them for a resolution if they really wanted to ensure future sales and loyalty. Right now I'd never buy another Mercedes Benz and I'm not even sure how long I will keep this one. However if they helped resolve the niggles im pretty sure I'd hang on to it, be impressed by their service (not so far) and invest in them again.
Old 06-05-2015 | 02:01 AM

'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
I think a lot of the noise is related to "wind". The other day I drove 40 miles North in moderate winds and the noise was terrible. Driving back South, it was barely noticeable. I'm thinking if the wind is hitting the driver's side it is much more noticeable.
Old 06-05-2015 | 03:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
I think a lot of the noise is related to "wind". The other day I drove 40 miles North in moderate winds and the noise was terrible. Driving back South, it was barely noticeable. I'm thinking if the wind is hitting the driver's side it is much more noticeable.
Agreed. I suspect the front window channels to be honest. No other car I've owned has this channel at the side of the main windscreen. Smacks of an ideal way to create cross wind noise.
Old 06-05-2015 | 08:25 PM

W205
I just got my w205, yes there is substantial wind noise above the speed of 100km/hr
I am not sure if it's normal, but i will test drive their test car unit on Monday to compare. I have also downloaded decibel db to compare the db level. So at least we get a reading.
Old 06-05-2015 | 09:28 PM

Mercedes C200 (W205) Avantgarde petrol RWD
Originally Posted by MichaelZ
I just got my w205, yes there is substantial wind noise above the speed of 100km/hr
I am not sure if it's normal, but i will test drive their test car unit on Monday to compare. I have also downloaded decibel db to compare the db level. So at least we get a reading.
I did the decibel reading and got a very high score-hearing damage levels! But there's no way the wind noise is that loud on my car. I would describe it as some noise at high speed, probably about the same as my previous car, BMW e39 (probably the most perfect car ever built IMO ) initially I was very disappointed that my new car had the same issue, but it is relatively minor and I won't let it spoil my enjoyment of what is a great car for me.

From what I read on here there seems to be a different levels of intensity of the wind noise and the poll is capturing that.
The other factor that that I have noticed on not only this thread, but others that address issues with the car are the experiences people are having with their dealerships. I have had mainly positive interaction with the dealership that I purchased the car from and frankly am appalled by some of the experiences I have read on this forum. Ranging from disinterested and uninformed sales staff to incompetence, carelessness and rudeness. This must be incredibly upsetting for people who have spent their money on a product, found it lacking in some way and are expecting a response to their concerns that is consistent with the way MB promotes its high level of customer service. Dealing effectively with consumer complaints should be at the top of any businesses priority list, for a multitude of reasons.
Old 06-05-2015 | 10:23 PM

W205
I just did the test, high 85db at 100/hr
Below that around high 75db
Car idle 50db
My iphone might not be that accurate, but just notice , the cabin is noisy! Might be the seals
Old 06-06-2015 | 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So far, 46% of respondents report hearing no unusual levels of wind noise in their cars, and only 10% find wind noise levels high enough be be considered unacceptable.

Quite frankly, that's not at all what I expected. Both my first C300 and current C300 have essentially no wind noise problems, with only heavy crosswinds generating any sound in the car at all. I thought this was the exception, but perhaps not. I've owned many cars over the years, and I find the C-Class to be at least as quiet as the best of them.

The question remains: why do some cars exhibit high wind noise levels? I wish I had an answer to that.
Old 06-06-2015 | 09:15 AM

C400
I voted for the "I have some wind noise all the time." option. I didn't find the wind noise to be SEVERE as you labeled it in the last option but I found it unacceptable to be having wind noise at just about any speed above 45mph, which during my daily commute I am at that speed about 80% of the time. Definitely one of the loudest cars I've owned when combined with wind noise and regular road noise.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wind Noise Poll: Yes or no?