C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Prem. Gas in the US (76, Chevron, Arco, Shell etc.)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C300
Question Prem. Gas in the US (76, Chevron, Arco, Shell etc.)

Hi folks,

I have a question for US drivers. I understand we've been advised to use premium gas 91+, but I'm curious to know if 76 premium is of a higher grade than ARCO and if folks have a preference for any one gas station. I've never understood why ARCO gas sells for the cheapest and have researched for reasons online (e.g. lower quality etc.), but there are reasons for and against.

At any rate, I'd appreciate feedback from US folks driving their 2015 W205 C Classes - is 76 better / more advisable and is ARCO of a lower quality?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 06-06-2015, 11:55 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Top Tier gasolines

Originally Posted by samyc300
Hi folks,

I have a question for US drivers. I understand we've been advised to use premium gas 91+, but I'm curious to know if 76 premium is of a higher grade than ARCO and if folks have a preference for any one gas station. I've never understood why ARCO gas sells for the cheapest and have researched for reasons online (e.g. lower quality etc.), but there are reasons for and against.

At any rate, I'd appreciate feedback from US folks driving their 2015 W205 C Classes - is 76 better / more advisable and is ARCO of a lower quality?

Thanks in advance!!
For a list of gasolines APPROVED by Mercedes-Benz, see http://www.toptiergas.com/:
"TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is the premier standard for gasoline performance. Seven of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz and Audi recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance."
Both 76 and ARCO are Top Tier gas. This rating is about detergent qualities only. Octane, power, and mileage are equal. So until you get some feedback about actual driving experiences, you can assume that 76 and ARCO are of identical quality.

In our region, only Sunoco has 91 octane. All others have 93 octane only. However, Sunoco is NOT a Top Tier gas. However, this rating is really more important for regular gas.