C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Mercedes craps on C class - no carplay till 2017 model year

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 BMW 328xi
Originally Posted by hummerhealey
Wow, there are stil people who are smart enough to buy a C-class and still think you choose an android Phone because you can't afford an iPhone

Car play doesn't mirror the iPhones screen. And some people are disappointed by that. Car play instead extends the iPhone screen for a selected number of apps. In this way the apps are optimized for the use in a car. Google takes this route as well btw with Android Auto.
I know what Carplay does as I've played with it plenty and am getting ready to retrofit an older vehicle with a Pioneer deck that has Carplay.

As to the demographics of how affluent iOS users vs Android users are, that's just a fact, even if you don't like the fact.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Current: '19 E450 Cabriolet - Past: '19 C300 Coupe, '12 SLK350, '16 E350, '14 C250 (x2), '09 CLK350
Easy pal. Interface.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:32 PM

Toyota Camry
Originally Posted by MoneyVSOP
Whatever it is would be a big improvement over the touch interface they have now.

I drove a W205 loaner for a day and the touch interface was absolutely terrible. Unacceptable delay- just used the wheel. If you have a crutch, it's not innovation.
Agreed, the touch pad, little mouse shaped piece of **** is useless even when it works, i think mine has worked about 3-5% of the time out of all time I have spent inside my C300 since March. I have little over 2300 miles. I want to bring my car to a dealer to have them look at touch pad but virtually it has never worked so my hand never touches the touch pad. I would definitely use it if it was working for things like looking up phone book by typing/swiping a letter or something. But there are more pressing quality issues with this vehicle, and non working touch pad is not one of them. Airplay with dialer/jogger would be nice to have if I can physically remove the touch interface thingy.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 BMW 328i
Originally Posted by voip1
Mercedes made a comment along those lines (that something like 70% of their north american customers used iPhones) when they announced 2-3 years ago their logic for moving towards using Apple in the dash of their cars. I'm sure you can dig up a source that cites it.

Also, on average, users of iPhones tend to be more affluent than those who are using Android devices. One reason of course for this is that there are a ton of cheap throw-away devices out there that run Android where-as iPhones cost actual money (the nearly 3 year old iPhone 5 I let our au pair use is still worth about $250).

i'm actually an android dev. and yes iphones skew much higher wealth demographics wise.

that said basically anyone can "afford" an iphone , just the wealthy tend to have them.

most people do not buy used phones, or even shop very wisely, so if you are talking "sticker price" of a phone at say verizon or some retailer, there are infinitely more cheap android phones than iphones (there are $50 android phones out there... and most of the $100-150 ones are honestly not decent).

apple makes some decent technology, but they are also a "lifestyle" brand for the affluent as is mercedes, bmw, etc, so there is obviously going to be a lot of overlap. the interesting thing is the weird market share skew .

japan is about 45% iphone vs 55% android. france weirdly is only something like 18-20% iphone. same with germany. america is in the low 40s with basically the rest going to android. the UK and australia i believe are similar iphone use. spain something like 10-15% iphone. in latin america / south america believe it or not windows phone outsells iphone (as the otheres have posted much larger selection of android phones for less money).

i actually once repaired an iphone 3GS to send to my moms niece in the philippines. she was so happy to get this luxury american product over say a galaxy. so yeah in asia, it sort of is a lifestyle brand (all the chinese with brand new ferraris and mercedes have to get what the american rich have)
Old 06-08-2015, 06:40 PM

2013 BMW 328xi
Originally Posted by hans007
i'm actually an android dev. and yes iphones skew much higher wealth demographics wise.

that said basically anyone can "afford" an iphone , just the wealthy tend to have them.

most people do not buy used phones, or even shop very wisely, so if you are talking "sticker price" of a phone at say verizon or some retailer, there are infinitely more cheap android phones than iphones (there are $50 android phones out there... and most of the $100-150 ones are honestly not decent).

apple makes some decent technology, but they are also a "lifestyle" brand for the affluent as is mercedes, bmw, etc, so there is obviously going to be a lot of overlap. the interesting thing is the weird market share skew .

japan is about 45% iphone vs 55% android. france weirdly is only something like 18-20% iphone. same with germany. america is in the low 40s with basically the rest going to android. the UK and australia i believe are similar iphone use. spain something like 10-15% iphone. in latin america / south america believe it or not windows phone outsells iphone (as the otheres have posted much larger selection of android phones for less money).

i actually once repaired an iphone 3GS to send to my moms niece in the philippines. she was so happy to get this luxury american product over say a galaxy. so yeah in asia, it sort of is a lifestyle brand (all the chinese with brand new ferraris and mercedes have to get what the american rich have)
Note that I never said I personally believe that iOS is better than Android. As you summarized though the demographics skew towards more affluent people being more likely to be using Macs and iOS products than MS Windows and Android.

In any event, I'm quite happy with my Mac(s), iPhone(s), iPad(s), etc and am miffed that Mercedes is putting the new tech in the A class before the C class, S class, E class, etc.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
You clearly didn't read the linked article in the 1st post, it is coming to the A class redesign in September.
Yea, I read it. You didn't read, or able to understand my point.

Several, similar, more credible articles about a year and a half ago announced it would be in the 2015 C Class. It's not.

The more credible ones gone, included Apple's site, and MB site. Here's some still active...
http://www.torquenews.com/1084/apple...s-benz-c-class
http://www.autobytel.com/mercedes-be...arplay-122994/
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ho...deo-78071.html

In other words, I will believe it when I see it in a production MB. Seems Apple and MB both my way or highway companies. Cool that Carplay going wireless in iOS 9.0 , announced this afternoon by Apple...not sure if that delays more.

Last edited by floridadriver; 06-08-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:32 PM

2013 C class Coupe 250 CDI
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
I've had the pleasure of using it on a test bed. I think it looks very basic and its function is also quite basic. It offered nothing to me that I can't do already either with COMAND or the phone. I really don't see what all the fuss is about.
agreed. just an overhyped apple product
Old 06-08-2015, 07:37 PM

2013 C class Coupe 250 CDI
Personally I find iDrive (BMW) far more intuitive. The COMAND interface requires far too many clicks to get to some features. Plus things like music search are just dire. Having to do a completely new search each time rather than just being able to step back is a total pain for me.

Even my 6 year old iDrive is more intuitive than COMAND IMHO. But, I have both and will just have to put up with it.
I also agree with idrive being more intuitive than command. most comparison tests also found it to be the case
Old 06-08-2015, 07:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by Sol01
agreed. just an overhyped apple product

That said, no matter if a fan or not, a 4 year old can run an iPad or iPhone with ease, my friends who are computer programmers get lost in submenus and flustered with Comand.

I know I'm no programmer or guru, but how cool if could run the screen off your android/apple/what the heck ever that can run an app for the car's systems. That would help things not get so obsolete so quickly. And though Comand doable for me, and clear screen, the apps and much of what it 'could' do I just don't try and muck with.

Last edited by floridadriver; 06-08-2015 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
Nowhere in the article does it say the C class will not get it until 2017. That was early speculation as the earliest model to get Carplay but it seems like they are able to integrate it faster. Chances are it will come with most if not all 2016 models
Old 06-09-2015, 08:19 AM

Have you used it? It's not overrated at all. It works very well and is a great augment for those of us with iPhones, which is pretty much 70% of those who can afford a new C-class in the first place.
I like your attitude. Can't wait for Carplay in the C-Class.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
I have a Samsung S5...so I could care less.

As long as the C300's Bluetooth links to my phone I'll be happy.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:25 AM

rightly so
Old 06-09-2015, 08:59 AM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300 RWD Sport Premium
Whatever happened to the good ole days of a steering wheel, throttle and brake. Let's see how much technology we can jam pack in these cars! The more sh*t you have, the more sh*t that breaks.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by CO2010
Whatever happened to the good ole days of a steering wheel, throttle and brake. Let's see how much technology we can jam pack in these cars! The more sh*t you have, the more sh*t that breaks.
I feel you bro
Old 06-09-2015, 10:06 AM

C 180 (W205)
Originally Posted by floridadriver
That said, no matter if a fan or not, a 4 year old can run an iPad or iPhone with ease
Well it doesn't say much... My 3 year old son can run his Samsung Android tablet (launch his favorite apps, navigate through the menus, ...) since he's 1
Old 06-09-2015, 10:12 AM

2013 BMW 328xi
Ya, let's get rid of power windows, power steering, power seats and the automatic transmission while we are at it.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by turt
Well it doesn't say much... My 3 year old son can run his Samsung Android tablet (launch his favorite apps, navigate through the menus, ...) since he's 1
Yea, but can your tablet addicted kid quickly find a specific option without trying to mis-navigate the dozens of in the oddly placed submenus on Comand? The point was Comand is overly complex and the smart phone makers (Apple especially) pioneered easy user interface.

When Mercedes eventually works a deal with Apple and integrates Carplay, there's really no use for Comand, or it's slow apps which charge monthly. Eventually they'll do it out of need from it's competitors offering it, and will make up the money somewhere else.

One thing is for sure, the likelihood of backwards compatibility is looking pretty low for current MB owners right about now.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:03 AM

C300
The more tech the more their profit. The more it breaks, even more profit. I agree with you though, there is some benefits to keeping it simple where able.

Amazing not matter what smartphone you like, the TV news top story all day on financial and news channels has been the Apple announcements from yesterday. Wish I would have bought stock in that 20 years ago.

Last edited by kellens; 06-09-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:08 AM

2013 BMW 328xi
Originally Posted by kellens
Yea, but can your tablet addicted kid quickly find a specific option without trying to mis-navigate the dozens of in the oddly placed submenus on Comand? The point was Comand is overly complex and the smart phone makers (Apple especially) pioneered easy user interface.

When Mercedes eventually works a deal with Apple and integrates Carplay, there's really no use for Comand, or it's slow apps which charge monthly. Eventually they'll do it out of need from it's competitors offering it, and will make up the money somewhere else.

One thing is for sure, the likelihood of backwards compatibility is looking pretty low for current MB owners right about now.
Cadillac just announced that all 2016 model year cars will have Carplay. The CTS/ATS and other cars with CUE all have touch-screen, so it has the potential to be a slightly better integration than what will be possible for Mercedes with the jog/touch integration.

As you correctly point out, Mercedes/BMW/Audi are going to have to do it at some point simply from a competition standpoint. It is likely that Mercedes plan to launch for the 2015 model year C-class was far too aggressive and that they need new hardware, etc... to make it happen.

Of course they are still going to make buyers upgrade to their "premium" infotainment system to get features like CarPlay or Android Auto... so even if they can't wring out a few bucks in monthly app subscriptions they will continue getting away with charging $3,000 for a slightly better screen and stereo that cost them perhaps $200 more than the base model.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:10 AM

2013 BMW 328xi
Originally Posted by kellens
The more tech the more their profit. The more it breaks, even more profit. I agree with you though, there is some benefits to keeping it simple where able.

Amazing not matter what smartphone you like, the TV news top story all day on financial and news channels has been the Apple announcements from yesterday. Wish I would have bought stock in that 20 years ago.
The size of Kim Kardashian's *** and how much photo-shopping they can do on that jelly can is always bigger news than financial markets OR Apple announcements.

10 years or so ago a friend insisted I buy Apple stuck because it was "only" $80 a share. I laughed my *** off even though I easily could have bought 200 or more shares at the time with money I had laying around doing nothing but earning 1%.

Big, big mistake on my part not taking that plunge.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:16 AM

C300
Cadillac just announced that all 2016 model year cars will have Carplay. The CTS/ATS and other cars with CUE all have touch-screen, so it has the potential to be a slightly better integration than what will be possible for Mercedes with the jog/touch integration.

As you correctly point out, Mercedes/BMW/Audi are going to have to do it at some point simply from a competition standpoint. It is likely that Mercedes plan to launch for the 2015 model year C-class was far too aggressive and that they need new hardware, etc... to make it happen.

Of course they are still going to make buyers upgrade to their "premium" infotainment system to get features like CarPlay or Android Auto... so even if they can't wring out a few bucks in monthly app subscriptions they will continue getting away with charging $3,000 for a slightly better screen and stereo that cost them perhaps $200 more than the base model.
As hot as Apple seems as of today, I bet MB offers a $8,500+ "Smartphone Package" option, including carpay, they'd get some bites.

I wouldn't look for carpay until they can make a lot $$ out of it, GM/Ford offers it they lose out on a lot less money than the German brands who really stick it to buyers with cost of tech. And even then, are the carplay units out from last year which require plug in, compatible with the "wireless carpay" coming out this year? These companies (car and smartphone) only exist to make profit.

Last edited by kellens; 06-09-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2018 E43 | 2017 GLS450 | 2004 CLK 500
Wow lol this is a big thing for you clearly. Not for me however.
Carplay is great for those with iphones. No need to crap on the OP if it's not for you. After 3 posts its seems to be a big deal for you to emphatically demonstrate how much you could care less lol. Thank you for your outstanding contribution.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by lowpost
Carplay is great for those with iphones. No need to crap on the OP if it's not for you. After 3 posts its seems to be a big deal for you to emphatically demonstrate how much you could care less lol. Thank you for your outstanding contribution.
You're welcome.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:25 AM

Personally I find iDrive (BMW) far more intuitive. The COMAND interface requires far too many clicks to get to some features. Plus things like music search are just dire. Having to do a completely new search each time rather than just being able to step back is a total pain for me.

Even my 6 year old iDrive is more intuitive than COMAND IMHO. But, I have both and will just have to put up with it.
I'm with you on this. iDrive is a lot more cleaner of an interface and it takes fewer steps to accomplish the same thing in COMAND. I'm coming from a 2014 X5 and there was definitely a learning curve with COMAND, and I'm more tech savvy than most.

Although, I do have to say CarPlay is a huge draw for me especially once cars are outfitted with the wireless version. The iOS interface will undoubtedly be way easier to use than anything other car manufacturers can come up with on their own. And really, why shouldn't the infotainment system just be an extension of your phone? No need to learn a new interface and all of the data/apps you use are immediately accessible with no hoops to jump through. Technology when implemented correctly SHOULD be that seamless.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes craps on C class - no carplay till 2017 model year