C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Manual Shift Algorithm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 08:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300
Manual Shift Algorithm

I don't really understand how manual shift with the paddles works. The Operators Manual is not much on specifics. It seems that after a time, the shifting goes back to automatic without my input. Is this time triggered, or is it looking at something else. Also, how do you force it to go back to auto shifting.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C400
It's time triggered, the timer apparently is extended by aggressive driving but I've never noticed a big difference. To get back into auto mode pull and hold the right paddle for a few seconds, you'll see the indicator in the dash go from M# to D#.

You can also set in your Individual AGILITY SELECT setting to have always manual shifting in that mode.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:13 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300
Originally Posted by Matthew G
It's time triggered, the timer apparently is extended by aggressive driving but I've never noticed a big difference. To get back into auto mode pull and hold the right paddle for a few seconds, you'll see the indicator in the dash go from M# to D#.

You can also set in your Individual AGILITY SELECT setting to have always manual shifting in that mode.
Thanks, I'll give it a try. I don't use it often, but it's fun to use from time to time. The RPMs really go up fast.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C220 AMG Line Bluetech.
Yes, as soon as you enter Manual mode, either up, or down paddle, then the car will kick off a timer sequence, which is determined by the amount of throttle opening.

If you just flick the paddle, with no additional throttle then it will return to Auto in around 3 seconds, I find. If you floor the throttle at the same time, then it will stay in Manual (until you mis-time the up shift - and hit the Red line!

The idea is that if the car determines you are "in the mood" then it'll keep you in Manual - once you have calmed down again it'll revert. If I am honest, it is quite difficult (certainly on UK roads) to drive sufficiently enthusiastically to keep it in Manual via this route - it feels like you are trying to persuade the car to do something it really doesn't want to do. Better to use the Manual mode in the Individual Drive Mode.

The car will not let you do anything really daft, when you are in Manual (self defence mechanism....) which is the same on all the German cars - they only let you "think" you are in control.... My BMW and Audi's were the same - even things like Traction Control and ESP always lurk in the background, even when Off, just in case you get yourself in trouble.

Last edited by jolt8631; 06-21-2015 at 04:49 AM.