C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

What do you think about these C300 options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche Cayman
What do you think about these C300 options?

Hi,

I'm ordering a C300 Sport with Premium packages, MY2016 and would like opinions on two options:

4MATIC
Driver Assistance Package

I'm coming from Audi, where everything I've had has been Quattro/AWD and Porsche. I live in the Bay Area, so snow is not a concern- though I do like to take the occasional trip to Lake Tahoe. Does 4MATIC add performance value, or is it mostly/all for safety/weather?

I'm more unsure of the Driver Assistance Package- it definitely seems like "cool" technology, and the safety feature sound great. However, I am a "driver"- someone who likes to drive and never uses cruise control- is this mostly useful for it's cruise control features? Thank you.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C300
Lighting package is a must, i still wish i could have gotten it
Old 07-21-2015, 04:26 PM

c300
Yea led lights for sure. If not full at least partial. For me 4matic was mandatory..We have some serious winters in Montreal. If it wasn't for winter/snow i wouldn't get 4MATIC
Old 07-21-2015, 04:37 PM

Porsche Cayman
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I got the lighting package- actually, I got every option except for the Interior Package. I'm just curious about 4MATIC and the Driver Assistance Package at this point.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MY16 C300
Ask your dealer what % of cars sold have 4MATIC. If the answer is in the 90%+ range, you might want it for resale. Otherwise, it's your choice.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:40 PM

Porsche Cayman
It's a lease, so no concern there. I'm really just trying to get a sense of how useful or important these two options are, from someone who has them.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C300
if you are looking at the driver assistance package, you should look at the interior package.

the leather is an option you will live with, smell and feel every day. you may not find yourself using the driver assistance package much. i love the vented seats too.

and instead of the 4matic, look at the air suspension instead. That would be something you also experience every day and i hear it's pretty great.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:34 PM

Porsche Cayman
I'm vegan, so not interested in the leather. But I got the air suspension- like I said, all options.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 BMW 328i
i've lived in the bay area, you definitely aren't going to need 4matic unless you are in snow a lot. i used to have a 2010 a4 quattro when i lived int he bay, and honestly the only reason i got quattro was that audi's only come in FWD or AWD and FWD sucks.

in rain its sort of useful, but you can drive fine with cars in rain (AWD will let it grip better, but it really doesnt rain that much up there). for the C300 it makes the car heavier, more expensive, slower, and use more gas. i'd spend the money on something else.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:11 AM
Banned

2015 MB Sprinter RV
True, AWD is something extra if your lifespan is all about bay area, but should you decide to travel around it could be very helpful.

About distronics, as you mention, you never used cruise control, I'd say, you can save money and not order Distronics. As a disclosure, I do have ordered Distronics, but then I am the one, life without cruise would be a hell, want the suspension to coddle me with comfort, a supple steering with no road feel and a car that floats like a yacht!

Originally Posted by hans007
i've lived in the bay area, you definitely aren't going to need 4matic unless you are in snow a lot. i used to have a 2010 a4 quattro when i lived int he bay, and honestly the only reason i got quattro was that audi's only come in FWD or AWD and FWD sucks.

in rain its sort of useful, but you can drive fine with cars in rain (AWD will let it grip better, but it really doesnt rain that much up there). for the C300 it makes the car heavier, more expensive, slower, and use more gas. i'd spend the money on something else.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:43 AM

2015 C300 4MATIC
I am a huge fan of the driver assistance package. Happy I got it. Would never buy a car without it again.

My daily commute, 22 miles, involves the NJ Turnpike and can take between 27 minutes (when I begin my commute at 05:45 AM) and fifty minutes when I leave during rush hour traffic. That the car slows itself is wonderful -- really takes a bit of the stress out of driving. On longer drives - with less congestion - the car slowing itself and speeding up is a nice feature.

The car leaves a gap between itself and the car in front of it (as it should). The driver can choose the length of the gap (on the stalk). Only downside, in heavy traffic, at least once a week some idiot abruptly moves into the gap - closer to you then he should.[He's likely on a very important call and could not be bother with a turn signal either, but I digress]. Distronic senses that -- as it should -- and sharply slows. If the car behind you is too close or the driver inattentive, you could have a problem. Morale of the story - distronic is awesome, but you must stay attentive.

The blind spot assist is terrific. I miss it when I drive my wife and daughter's cars. Truly. In the three months I've had the car, I had three or four warnings that I was cutting it too close. I was shocked. But the car was correct!

Fortunately, I have not had to use the feature that applies your breaks when you are going to pull into another lane where a car is already present. Lets hope I never have to use it! Its comforting to know its there. If you don't get DAP, get BSA.

The active lane keeping is magical. You can actually feel the difference in the steering wheel. That is, when the road curves and you are steering "on time" the wheel turns with less resistance than when you turn early or late into the turn. Not certain that I really need that. More of a vanity feature that I can demo to the person in the passenger seat.

The feature that let's you know you are crossing a line is interesting. Since I rarely use my phone (wife and daughter don't allow it) when driving (always hands free if its an emergency from work), and I keep my eyes on the road -- less value. Be honest with yourself ... if you are an occasionally distracted driver its probably good to have.

As we get (in my late 40s) our skills start to decline. It's the human condition. Having the DAP is pretty darn good assistant. Still, you need to be attentive. If DAP saves you from one accident, you have paid for the feature. If its not a single car accident, you saved yourself from a [potentially] litigious driver. Spend the money.

We also have 4MATIC. My wife insisted for the ten days a year we have snow. Also, for wet roads. Me, I drove a Mustang in Vermont for several years. I could have lived without it. In NY/NJ, most MBs are 4MATIC. As the other comment stated, its likely better for resale to be consistent with your geography.

Last edited by C_Class_Dad; 07-22-2015 at 01:48 AM.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:00 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
W205
I'm also in NJ and totally agreed with C Class Dad. In my other cars without Disctronics, I never used the curise control during my 20 min commute due to traffic but I use Distronics every day now with my C. It's a blessing to drive with it in traffic and I will not buy another car without this option.

OP, if you drive in the Bay area's stop and go traffic, you'll use Distronics more than you think.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:02 PM

Porsche Cayman
Awesome! Thank you for the replies- this helps. I'm going to keep the 4MATIC and Driver Assist Package. I commute about 80 miles a day round-trip, so I'm sure I'll get some use out of the Driver Assist. Thanks again!
Old 07-22-2015, 05:02 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
on the 300, i wouldn't say the 4matic add performance value. i just had to get it because of where i live. i actually dont think I've seen a rwd c class in my area
Old 04-03-2016, 12:56 PM

2014 C300, 2016 C300
Originally Posted by vminsf
Hi,

I'm ordering a C300 Sport with Premium packages, MY2016 and would like opinions on two options:

4MATIC
Driver Assistance Package

I'm coming from Audi, where everything I've had has been Quattro/AWD and Porsche. I live in the Bay Area, so snow is not a concern- though I do like to take the occasional trip to Lake Tahoe. Does 4MATIC add performance value, or is it mostly/all for safety/weather?

I'm more unsure of the Driver Assistance Package- it definitely seems like "cool" technology, and the safety feature sound great. However, I am a "driver"- someone who likes to drive and never uses cruise control- is this mostly useful for it's cruise control features? Thank you.
I can vouch for the 4matic system. In terms of performance, given you have good tires, the grip is unbelievable. But, apart from that, it's saved my life twice already along with the other safety features. I've driven the Quattro and other AWD systems from other manufacturers and it's similar, especially considering mundane daily driving conditions---I doubt you'll notice any real difference. But the reason why I keep coming back to MB is because, as a whole, the car's systems are so well integrated that as a package, imho, is better executed than what other manufacturers can offer
Old 04-03-2016, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
Yeah, if you don't need snow traction I wouldn't buy the AWD. I think Audi goes AWD on a lot of models, A3, A4, A5 because otherwise they'd be FWD. Kind of like Subaru.

Drivers Assist is pretty cool. I use adaptive cruise/steering in everyday traffic. I plan on teaching my now 14 year old to drive on the C so I wanted as much autonomous stuff as I could get for the safety margin.