C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Not feeling love for new C300

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by bradtj

I am not against modernization and change..
No offense, but it sounds like you & your wife are...either that or just set in your ways. Me on the other hand, I embrace innovation & change...as long as it's an actual improvement to me in some shape or form.

Panoramic Roof - Modern design, sexy, bigger, and opens more than the smaller "standard" sunroof...and the rear passengers benefit as well from the extra light

Run Flat Tires - Although I'm not a fan entirely, it's nice to know I can drive on a flat tire for a while, so I don't have to change a tire on the side of the road (risking getting hit), or wait hours for a tow truck. Early run flat tires rode rough, but they've got better over the years...and I do admit to having "no spare anxiety" at times on a long trips...but I do feel as a whole, having run flat tires is safer in the long run

Column Mounted Gear Selector - I still fail to see why this is an issue. You do know gear selection now a days in the vast majority of new automatic transmission vehicles is a "fly by wire" system, correct? So it really doesn't matter where or how the gear is selected...especially if you have paddle shifters on the steering wheel for "manual" style shifting...which are better/faster/safer than the old standard console shifter (which really only imitates a true manual stick shift) since your hands don't leave the steering wheel while changing gears.

I've noticed just backing out of the driveway with a column mounted gear selector is easier & faster since I don't have to take my right hand entirely off the steering wheel reaching for an old-fashion console mounted gear selector

Touch Pad/Command Dial - What's wrong with being given the option of either selecting with the older method of using a dial...or the more modern method of "swiping" like a smart phone? I use my smart phone often, so the "swiping" option to me is just a natural extension of what I'm already used to. Personally I use both depending on the situation. And it's nice to have the extra room on the console since there's no antiquated console shifter getting in the way

Last edited by MASSC450; 09-06-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by MASSC300
No offense, but it sounds like you & your wife are...either that or just set in your ways. Me on the other hand, I embrace innovation & change...as long as it's an actual improvement to me in some shape or form.

Panoramic Roof - Modern design, sexy, bigger, and opens more than the smaller "standard" sunroof...and the rear passengers benefit as well from the extra light

Run Flat Tires - Although I'm not a fan entirely, it's nice to know I can drive on a flat tire for a while, so I don't have to change a tire on the side of the road (risking getting hit), or wait hours for a tow truck. Early run flat tires rode rough, but they've got better over the years...and I do admit to having "no spare anxiety" at times on a long trips...but I do feel as a whole, having run flat tires is safer in the long run

Column Mounted Gear Selector - I still fail to see why this is an issue. You do know gear selection now a days in the vast majority of new automatic transmission vehicles is a "fly by wire" system, correct? So it really doesn't matter where or how the gear is selected...especially if you have paddle shifters on the steering wheel for "manual" style shifting...which are better/faster/safer than the old standard console shifter (which really only imitates a true manual stick shift) since your hands don't leave the steering wheel while changing gears.

I've noticed just backing out of the driveway with a column mounted gear selector is easier & faster since I don't have to take my right hand entirely off the steering wheel reaching for an old-fashion console mounted gear selector

Touch Pad/Command Dial - What's wrong with being given the option of either selecting with the older method of using a dial...or the more modern method of "swiping" like a smart phone? I use my smart phone often, so the "swiping" option to me is just a natural extension of what I'm already used to. Personally I use both depending on the situation. And it's nice to have the extra room on the console since there's no antiquated console shifter getting in the way
+1. But while I completely agree with everything you've written, its' clear from the OP's perspective these aren't attributes he and his wife think are valuable or one's they would like.

That said, the reality is as times moves on the functionality on the MB will be on just about car brand. Many of them are already in Audi and BMW.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by rbrylaw

+1. But while I completely agree with everything you've written, its' clear from the OP's perspective these aren't attributes he and his wife think are valuable or one's they would like.
Agreed...of course the gentleman is free to his opinion, and can purchase the vehicle of his choice...no matter how outdated it is.

That said, the reality is as times moves on the functionality on the MB will be on just about car brand. Many of them are already in Audi and BMW.
Again I agree. If anything, BMW had the fixed view screen attached on the dashboard in the 3 Series before the 2015 C300...

2014 BMW 328i...

2015 MB C300...

Last edited by MASSC450; 09-06-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
C350
Yes it certainly is my (our) preference. But I do fail to see the great value of the steering wheel selector. Why not go to pushbuttons as Ford has done (and Chrysler in the 60's). I am not against progress just fail to see how these features make the car better and simpler to operate. If it saved fuel or went faster maybe I would get it. To me it is change for no reason. I don't think it it fair to conclude that somehow we are resisting progress just because we don't swoon over the latest MB design 'innovation'.
As an aside we mentioned the shift concept to our 26 year old daughter and she thought it sounded 'stupid'.
Again maybe we are simply luddites but the first time I saw the touch pad placed over Command I thought that thing has to be removable and my wife voiced the same opinion a few days later. If the touch pad is the superior way to go that should be incorporated in the console and be done with it.
If MB is convinced this is the correct way to control things OK go for it and lose the command dial.

Run flats- have had history with BMW-spent a lot of money on tires with punctures (another full chapter of discussion as to whether run flats can be repaired) and I don't like the ride quality. And when you are 150 miles at night from the nearest city the 50 mile ride of the run flat is not optimal).

So we can agree to disagree and time will tell if these features are popular or not. Some posters are happy with these features and I am not questioning that they like them or are misguided to like them. I posted to present my opinions and why we would not lease another C Class.
Just because we do not agree with the current MB design approach, 'whispering over the fence' about the crazy neighbors who refuse to accept progress isn't really fair or warranted.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes it certainly is my (our) preference. But I do fail to see the great value of the steering wheel selector. Why not go to pushbuttons as Ford has done (and Chrysler in the 60's). I am not against progress just fail to see how these features make the car better and simpler to operate. If it saved fuel or went faster maybe I would get it. To me it is change for no reason. I don't think it it fair to conclude that somehow we are resisting progress just because we don't swoon over the latest MB design 'innovation'.
As an aside we mentioned the shift concept to our 26 year old daughter and she thought it sounded 'stupid'.
Again maybe we are simply luddites but the first time I saw the touch pad placed over Command I thought that thing has to be removable and my wife voiced the same opinion a few days later. If the touch pad is the superior way to go that should be incorporated in the console and be done with it.
If MB is convinced this is the correct way to control things OK go for it and lose the command dial.

Run flats- have had history with BMW-spent a lot of money on tires with punctures (another full chapter of discussion as to whether run flats can be repaired) and I don't like the ride quality. And when you are 150 miles at night from the nearest city the 50 mile ride of the run flat is not optimal).

So we can agree to disagree and time will tell if these features are popular or not. Some posters are happy with these features and I am not questioning that they like them or are misguided to like them. I posted to present my opinions and why we would not lease another C Class.
Just because we do not agree with the current MB design approach, 'whispering over the fence' about the crazy neighbors who refuse to accept progress isn't really fair or warranted.
You are absolutely correct. None of us should question what you like or don't like.

That said, you came here and basically told many who think the new C-Class is terrific that it has design and functionality attributes you think are odd and ones you simply don't want to the point you'll have to choose something else. What did you expect people who either already own one or who are waiting for theirs to be built would say, in a thread dedicated to this car?

Perhaps the old addage, "if you don't have something nice to say about something, don't say it" would have been better, at least in a thread devoted to the car, on a forum specifically about Mercedes automobiles.

None-the-less, we get that you don't like the new C Class and I for one hope you find the car that you do like. I hope it makes you happy and you drive in the best of health and happiness.

Yes, I do.

Last edited by rbrylaw; 09-06-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300
Yes it certainly is my (our) preference. But I do fail to see the great value of the steering wheel selector. Why not go to pushbuttons as Ford has done (and Chrysler in the 60's).
Here is why. With pushbuttons you have to take your hand off the steering wheel and search for a button to push. With the MB stalk, you just pull it all the way up for reverse, and all the way down for drive. You can do this without even taking your hand off the wheel. With a little practice it is all done by feel - keeping your eyes on the road, and your hands on the steering wheel. It's really fast and natural - just saying.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CRV
I never thought the loaction of the shifter would be so important to the point that one would not purchase it because of that.

I thought it was odd when when shifting gear in a relative's 2004 7 series. Never thought car sucked. And this was over 10 years ago. Now I understand the reason behind it. It is actually a smart idea.

I agree with others. You should get one that you enjoy. Good luck.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:26 AM

C350
Did not come on to this forum to bash the new C class which by all accounts is a wonderful car. If someone who owns one or ordered one is so sensitive to my subjective opinions then I am not sure how to respond.
Always thought the forum offered the opportunity for constructive discourse not simply a love fest for the marque. Additionally since I am(was) the owner of two of these vehicles and an MB forum member for some years I was not 'lurking' on this site in an effort to raise controversy.

My intrinsic concern (seeing my wife test drive the car) goes beyond the simple aesthetic design aspect of the steering column shifter to possible (if remote) bad outcomes .

I strongly believe unfamiliarity could be annoying and possibly hazardous particularly for drivers who are in the car infrequently (my wife drives 5k a year and I would only drive the car a dozen days a year).

Anyway thanks for the helpful comments made and we will move on with best wishes to all the passionate MB family.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...gedy/index.htm

http://jalopnik.com/was-mercedes-gea...rai-1689604456

Old 09-07-2015, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry. Anyone can F-Up in a car. You've posted two isolated examples of someone making a mistake with the shifter. How many children have moved the standard shifter you seem to think is so much better and caused accidents? How many people have gotten confused and used the accelerator pedal instead of the brake pedal and caused accidents?

I can see an initial period of being unfamiliar with the gear shifter, but I feel pretty confident when I get mine, I'll get used to it pretty quickly and it will become second nature.

I have several friends with them in their MB cars and not one of them seems to get confused.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
... How many people have gotten confused and used the accelerator pedal instead of the brake pedal and caused accidents?

I can see an initial period of being unfamiliar with the gear shifter, but I feel pretty confident when I get mine, I'll get used to it pretty quickly and it will become second nature.

I have several friends with them in their MB cars and not one of them seems to get confused.
I agree that this is driver error more than anything else. With any car, it takes some time to figure out a new control layout. With stick shift cars, the reverse slot can vary ... you just find out where things are as part of the learning process. The MB shifter is unconventional, but it's anything but confusing. In fact, it's one of the simplest shift arrangements I've ever seen. It strikes everyone as odd until you use it, then it makes perfect sense and requires only a very short period of time to get used to it. I think it took my wife and I minutes to get comfortable with it. Our initial "Huh?" reaction quickly turned to an appreciation of its simplicity and logic.

It is possible that, in the accident cited, the driver did get confused and shifted into the wrong gear. It's also possible that the throttle was pressed instead of the brakes. Obvious driver error may have been at least partially caused by unfamiliarity with the shifter, but that is something that had to be understood if the car was being driven at all. I really wouldn't blame the car for the inability of the driver to engage reverse, or simply exit the car, in a panic situation.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG

If someone who owns one or ordered one is so sensitive to my subjective opinions then I am not sure how to respond.

Always thought the forum offered the opportunity for constructive discourse not simply a love fest for the marque.
This forum most certainly offers constructive and unbiased discussions, some like you unfortunately are too thin-skinned to accept any criticism...as lighthearted as it was.

As for your video...and like others have said...this could happen to many vehicles on the road today when drivers don't use caution when exiting a running or unsecured vehicle, hardly a Mercedes only condition.

I tried to replicate this scenario with my 2015 C300, and found that in reverse or drive, the second I open the driver's door, the transmission goes into park and the parking brake is engaged. When opening the door while the vehicle is in neutral, a big red warning is displayed between the speedo and tach...along with an audio alert. I also noticed in the video that her vehicle finally stopped when the driver door opened the second time...a Mercedes Benz safety feature most likely.

IMO, this woman is 100% at fault for exiting an unsecured vehicle...then thinking she could stop said vehicle by standing in front of it. She's lucky she didn't get killed, or kill someone else. Driver "unfamiliarity" with the gear selector just sounds like fodder for the ambulance chasers if you ask me.

Last edited by MASSC450; 09-07-2015 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:34 PM

2015 C300 4Matic
The new C class is not possible to do that since as soon as you open the door, it automatically shifts to park.

I wouldn't pick the A4 since there will be an all new A4 coming out in a year.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:40 PM

2015 C300 4Matic Luxury

Totally agree. Out of curiosity, am I the only one who has driven manuals with steering column gear shifters? This was few decades ago. It literally takes few minutes to adjust. Happens all the time when I rent car with something different.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 W205
Originally Posted by Zenyatta
Totally agree. Out of curiosity, am I the only one who has driven manuals with steering column gear shifters? This was few decades ago. It literally takes few minutes to adjust. Happens all the time when I rent car with something different.
Nope, I have driven older 60s era 3 on the tree manuals. Also managed to drive both left and right hand drive manuals and never got confused. It took all of one day to become accustomed to the C Class shifter. Actually had the reverse of the OP happen. Was in a w204 loaner, and kept reaching for the non existant shifter on the wheel.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Zenyatta
Sshhhhhh, admitting this makes us a bit older! LOL But it also shows we're perfectly able to adapt to changing technologies!
Old 09-07-2015, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 983 Likes on 719 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic

A4 looks like strong contender and will look at BMW. Wife liked her 330i best of all her cars. We stopped at Lexus dealer and just can't warm up to these cars. Maybe a venture to the land of Infinity.
Wait for the next A4. It may be a game changer in the compact luxury class.

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/07/fir...6-audi-a4.html

I get what you are saying about the value proposition relative to a 6 cylinder with sunroof W204 and the ipad but one thing I will agree with the other responses is the gear shift lever. I get that it is different but I really do think that you would get used to it / prefer it with use. With time I think that you would begin to wonder the value of the floor mounted shifter. BTW my first Mercedes had 4 on the tree.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 09-07-2015 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by MBNUT1

Wait for the next A4. It may be a game changer in the compact luxury class.

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/07/fir...6-audi-a4.html

The new 2016 Audi A4 still looks as boring as a Ford Taurus if you ask me...

Old 09-08-2015, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 983 Likes on 719 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic

I also prefer Mercedes styling but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised that it ends up being a better car to drive than the C Class.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It may drive nice, but I'd have to look at it every time I got in it and I'm sorry, Audi styling simply doesn't work for me. I've never warmed up to the picnic bench front grill.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBNUT1
I also prefer Mercedes styling but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised that it ends up being a better car to drive than the C Class.
Might turn out to be a fantastic car, regardless of how homely Audi decided to make it. After having owned several Audi's, I recently drove both a 2015 A4 and a 2015 A6. I was not impressed with the handling or the steering, neither of which was nearly as sharp as my older ones. Nice cars, but definitely heading towards high quality mediocrity. I will test drive the 2016's when I can.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by StanNH
Might turn out to be a fantastic car, regardless of how homely Audi decided to make it. After having owned several Audi's, I recently drove both a 2015 A4 and a 2015 A6. I was not impressed with the handling or the steering, neither of which was nearly as sharp as my older ones. Nice cars, but definitely heading towards high quality mediocrity. I will test drive the 2016's when I can.
I have no desire to test drive them. I just haven't met an Audi I'd want to park in my driveway........
Old 09-11-2015, 10:24 AM

C350

Nobody did ask you.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nobody did ask you.
Isn't the whole point of forums like this to encourage a free exchange of ideas and opinions?
Old 09-11-2015, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by StanNH
Isn't the whole point of forums like this to encourage a free exchange of ideas and opinions?
Yes, yes it is!
Old 12-23-2015, 12:34 PM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
Originally Posted by hpilot
Don't ever settle for what is on the dealer's lot. I always order mine to get exactly what I want. There is not another car in the country exactly like mine. It's worth waiting for - IMO
THIS! After searching for an E350/E500 with Distronic and a light interior and coming up short after 10 months, I bit the bullet and custom-ordered mine. I was able to delete items I found overpriced or of minimal value to me and reallocate those funds to things I really wanted and would appreciate.

A $15 steak at Outback is cooked custom (rare/med rare/etc), why not get what you REALLY want when spending $40k-150k?

After buying a custom car, I'll never buy what's available on the lots again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Not feeling love for new C300