C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

collision assist inoperative

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 05:29 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 C300, 2015 F-350 Platinum, 1969 Mach 1 428cj, 2007 Roadking
Deleted, tried to send pm

Last edited by mikbar2; 04-08-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 C43
Originally Posted by SuperSibs
See my post above. Error "collision prevention assist plus inoperative" popped up again while I was driving 65mph on the freeway today...with a semi behind me! Lost all acceleration and I am lucky to have made it to the shoulder without getting into a horrible accident. Dropped it off at the dealer. Bottom line, this is the third time it has happened. Every time, I have come close to being in an accident. I won't take the car back. Here's to hoping Mercedes with buy the car back without much fanfare and I can pick up a trusty Volvo again.

Update: 4/8/16
Heard back from the service adviser. The same code appeared as before, so the first "fix" clearly did not work. MB recommends replacing all the sensors.

Here's the problem. I was almost semi-roadkill yesterday morning and have no assurances this "fix" will work. If it were something other than losing the ability to accelerate while driving, I would be happy to give the service department more chances to repair the issue. The adviser recommended after speaking with the service manager that I contact MBUSA costumer service and open a case to review a repurchase. I opened a case, and spoke to my case manager today. She said she couldn't guarantee or even necessarily advise I open a repurchase review given that this was only its second time in the shop for this issue and there was a new fix available. She recommended I speak with the service manager again about the severity of the issue and have them take it up with MBUSA.

So, has anyone had the dealer take ownership of the problem and repurchase the vehicle? That seems like a much smarter business model than sending someone back on the road with a vehicle that randomly spurts errors that cause the car to lose its ability to accelerate!
Mine was fixed after the last repair. I posted the work order above.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Update: picked up the car today and had a sit down with the service manager. No sensors were replaced. It appears the physical pins connecting the sensors to the engine control unit were faulty. See attached service note for details. Makes me feel a bit better that it is a mechanical issue and not a coding/software problem. I'll post again if the gremlin returns. Hopefully, this fix sticks!
Attached Thumbnails collision assist inoperative-service-ticket-4.22.16.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
BellBiv (11-07-2023)
Old 04-22-2016, 06:03 PM

That was our first diagnosis. Hope it works for you. Good Luck.
SuperSibs (04-22-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 06:10 PM

2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Crap. The service manager said this is the new "official" fix. Can you share the various fixes you went through? For now, I'm taking the back roads...easier to coast to the side if the error pops up again.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 CLA250
In June 2015 we purchased a brand new 2015 CLA 250 for our daughter. It is currently sitting in the service dept for the second time this week and they still claim, "unable replicate" and know nothing about any problem with this driver assist warning.

They have told us all the same BS lines that everyone else is saying:
It's nearby radio waves or buildings alarm systems.
It's the manhole cover
It's the way you drive
How close were you to the car in front of you, etc

I keep telling them it has done it to me when I've driven the car to bring it in for service twice for this and I'm not the normal driver of this car! She drives 6 miles to school and it goes off 3-4 times every single time. It will beep and the red triangle will pop up real fast and go away.

I told them yesterday that there is no way that in all of Dallas that we are the only ones that have a car with this problem, not when I am reading about it all over the internet.

They are expecting me to come and pick the car up this afternoon. Sorry, I do not want it back! They have done absolutely nothing to attempt to fix the problem or even acknowledge there is a problem. Of course, I get the typical female crap bs that I know nothing about cars. HAHAHAHAHA.

Their excuses for why this is doing it, I responded with: I have 3 BMW's, 1 Audi, 1 Porsche and 1 GMC 2500HD that all have sensors and not one of them has any kind of false alarm happen.

If my daughter were to call me and tell me the car has died on her in the middle of the highway like what has happened to some of you, I'd be LIVID! I do not feel comfortable putting my daughter in this car and sending her off half way across the country in a few months to college.

We are going to schedule a meeting with the GM and frankly, my only solution at this point based on what I have read online concerning this problem and the way that they have treated us when we bring this in, I don't want the car and they can buy it back from me. Then I will walk across the street to the BMW dealership and add BMW #4 to the stable.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Please pm me. I know the staff at the MB dealership quite well in Dallas. You need a different advisor. I have purchased and have had multiple cars serviced by PP. I would be happy to assist you.

Jeff
Old 05-14-2016, 10:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 W205
I guess I am a member of the club. Today while lightly accelerating the car lost all power, the check engine light flashed, and I got the collision assist inoperative message in the center screen.

The message disappeared after maybe 30 seconds, car was normal. Except not I no longer get the beeping or flashing triangle if I approach another car or object at speed.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:06 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 C300
Originally Posted by rustycruiser
I guess I am a member of the club. Today while lightly accelerating the car lost all power, the check engine light flashed, and I got the collision assist inoperative message in the center screen.

The message disappeared after maybe 30 seconds, car was normal. Except not I no longer get the beeping or flashing triangle if I approach another car or object at speed.
I have this issue too. Lost power several times then I got the inoperative message. Scheduled a service visit. Anyone else? Is there a LI that addresses this?
Old 05-21-2016, 10:11 PM

2015 C300 4Matic
Add me to the list: I also experienced this issue today and it happened on the freeway. I was able to drive to my exit several miles down the road, but the accelerator was sluggish. Once on the surface street, I was moving at a much lower speed and that's when the car quit completely. I was able to steer and coast into an adjacent parking lot where I turned the car off and back on. Doing so deleted the message and the car appeared to work fine after that. It is going in to the service department on Monday morning. I will not give them 4 or 5 chances to fix it. Like several of you mentioned, it's sheer luck I am here to tell this tale. There is quite a bit of construction going on and with the jersey walls up, there would have been nowhere for me to pull over had the car quit on the highway. This is my first Mercedes and I have dreamed of having one since I was little. It's pretty disappointing that this is my first experience with the brand. I've only had the car a few months and it has less than 10000 miles on it.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 C300
Too bad you can't just turn it off like you can start/stop that everyone hates so much
Old 05-25-2016, 12:33 AM

2015 C300 4Matic
Well, the car has been in for service and is back in my garage. Here is my work order. I'm heartened at least that they seem to know this issue exists, since the note states that if the error reoccurs that the next step is to open a case with Mercedes tech engineering and/or to replace the electrical pins. Hopefully there will be no need for a next step but if there is, fingers crossed it doesn't happen at 70 mph in a construction zone!

Old 05-25-2016, 11:08 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 C300
Originally Posted by MsLiberty
Well, the car has been in for service and is back in my garage. Here is my work order. I'm heartened at least that they seem to know this issue exists, since the note states that if the error reoccurs that the next step is to open a case with Mercedes tech engineering and/or to replace the electrical pins. Hopefully there will be no need for a next step but if there is, fingers crossed it doesn't happen at 70 mph in a construction zone!

Thanks for posting. This will help when my car in for this issue next week.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:59 PM

2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Ask them to go ahead and replace the pins. They cleaned and disconnected/reconnected on my "first fix" and then the error appeared again several thousand miles later and caused the whole "limp mode" on the interstate situation. Also, fill out a complaint on the NHTSA website. Having something of this severity "occur again" is not an option MB should entertain.

Several of my "pins" were discolored/tarnished and therefore could not "connect" properly. I'm thinking it must be a manufacturing issue as the module sits in the interior of the vehicle. I've put about 1400 miles on the car since the pin replacement, so far, so good.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:55 PM

MB C300 / BMW 328i
This has also happened to me several times. First time they did the software update. Then it happened again. Their diagnostics showed there was a Torque Converter issue, so they have pulled the transmission and replaced the Torque Converter. Fingers Crossed.
Has anybody had a solid fix to this issue?
Old 09-22-2016, 06:19 PM

2015 C300 Sport
This has happened to me twice so far, with the most recent instance occurring last weekend when the car went limp as I was driving through an intersection and the "Collision Prevention Assist Plus Inoperative" warning came on. As others have stated, this is a serious safety concern. Thankfully, there were no other cars around, otherwise the sudden loss of power in the middle of an intersection could have easily resulted in getting T-boned since the cross-traffic had no stop sign. I dropped my car off at the service center yesterday, and checked in with my service adviser today who said that they are communicating with MB in Europe to try and find a fix.

The service notes from the first visit stated:
Cause: CONFIRMED CLIENT CONCERN; CPA INOP. INSPECTION VIA SDS FINDSFAULTS FOR MISSING COMMUNICATION FROM CAOMBUSTION ENGINEIN CPA MODULE, MISSING COMMUNICATION FROM ESP MODULE ISIN CPA. LI54.18-P-061565 APPLIES. EXERCISE CONNECTOR FF AT M.E. AND CHECK CONNECTOR PINS AT B36 (ACCELERATORPEDAL)INSPECTION OF ESP AND ME MODULES VIA SDS FINDS NEWERSOFTWARE AVAILABLE FOR BOTH.
Correction: NON .1 - CHECK PINS 1 THRU 5 AT PEDAL HARNESS FOR SPRINGTENSION. FOUND OKAY.NON .1 CHECK PINS AT CONNECTOR F AT M.E. 10, 36, 8, 49, 23FOR SPRING TENSION. FOUND OKAY.EXCERCISE M.E. TERMINAL ONCE.CLEARED FAULT CODES.NON .1 - ADJUST AND RESECURE M.E. HARNESS CABLE TIES TOASSURE HARNESS IS NOT PULLED TOO TIGHT.LL.DC#
Old 09-23-2016, 06:17 AM

W205 C200 2015
Had the issue and took it to the dealer; around April I believe. It was resolved since it happened a few thousand miles ago and hasn't recurred since.

They found a short and fixed it. I haven't received a copy of the fix but I do remember them saying that there was an issue with a wire and they fixed it. Didn't take them more than a few hours to fix it.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2014 C250 Diesel
ISO 26262

I came across this thread by chance while researching speaker replacement, then felt compelled to create an account and post. MB are clearly taking a very cavalier approach to safety here, the issue is not individual sensor failures / faulty pins but a fundamental ECU design failure. No car should lose power due to failure of a secondary safety system, that's obvious to a layman. However, there is an international standard that lays it out in more detail - ISO 26262, which MB are signed up to. That lays down the required Automotive Safety Integrity Level (ASIL) for safety critical systems, for the ECU it should come out pretty high - and a faulty collision prevention system should NOT cause routine failure, because the ECU - and any inputs to it - should be designed & tested to ensure that failure rate is extremely low. Rather than arguing with individual dealers, this should be broached with MB USA - and actually, MB global - because by allowing failure of the collision prevention system to disable the engine, they have built a design flaw onto their cars that clearly breaches the standard by creating a hazard on a regular basis. There should be failsafes in place to prevent the failure of an OPTIONAL system doing that. All the bluster and excuses about pins etc is irrelevant, tackle them on the fundamental design flaw inherent IN THE ECU DESIGN - challenge them to explain why failure of collision prevention takes down the ECU, and how that is ISO 26262 compliant.
The following 2 users liked this post by Merkel:
CaliBenzDriver (05-13-2019), SuperSibs (10-27-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Merkel
I came across this thread by chance while researching speaker replacement, then felt compelled to create an account and post. MB are clearly taking a very cavalier approach to safety here, the issue is not individual sensor failures / faulty pins but a fundamental ECU design failure. No car should lose power due to failure of a secondary safety system, that's obvious to a layman. However, there is an international standard that lays it out in more detail - ISO 26262, which MB are signed up to. That lays down the required Automotive Safety Integrity Level (ASIL) for safety critical systems, for the ECU it should come out pretty high - and a faulty collision prevention system should NOT cause routine failure, because the ECU - and any inputs to it - should be designed & tested to ensure that failure rate is extremely low. Rather than arguing with individual dealers, this should be broached with MB USA - and actually, MB global - because by allowing failure of the collision prevention system to disable the engine, they have built a design flaw onto their cars that clearly breaches the standard by creating a hazard on a regular basis. There should be failsafes in place to prevent the failure of an OPTIONAL system doing that. All the bluster and excuses about pins etc is irrelevant, tackle them on the fundamental design flaw inherent IN THE ECU DESIGN - challenge them to explain why failure of collision prevention takes down the ECU, and how that is ISO 26262 compliant.
FYI, They bought ours back.
CaliBenzDriver (02-21-2021)
Old 11-26-2017, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Guys, my apologies for reviving an old thread. I have a 2017 C43 and a lot of us in forums are having this exact issue. I am having once every week. Tried multiple visits to the dealership to resolve this but completely unsuccessfully. On the first shot, they tried changing the intake airflow sensor, which they told me triggered the code. But then it came back again. Like some of guys had done above, no pin or connectors were changed in my case. The code that is coming up is called P061A and reads "Calibration of the torque curve of the control unit has a malfunction. These is a signal above the permissible limit value". This basically triggers the limp mode exactly as you guys are describing and the Traction Control Light comes on with the active brake assist function inoperative and a bunch of other messages comes on as well. I have managed to catch two instances of this happening live on my go pro as well. It really is extremely scary and it puts you in an extremely dangerous situation on the highway (this also exclusively happens on the highway, never in the city)

I would really appreciate some feedback on this and how to handle it. For those who had this problem, can you confirm this was resolved?
CaliBenzDriver (05-13-2019)
Old 11-27-2017, 03:50 AM

W205 C200 2015
Originally Posted by munis
Guys, my apologies for reviving an old thread. I have a 2017 C43 and a lot of us in forums are having this exact issue. I am having once every week. Tried multiple visits to the dealership to resolve this but completely unsuccessfully. On the first shot, they tried changing the intake airflow sensor, which they told me triggered the code. But then it came back again. Like some of guys had done above, no pin or connectors were changed in my case. The code that is coming up is called P061A and reads "Calibration of the torque curve of the control unit has a malfunction. These is a signal above the permissible limit value". This basically triggers the limp mode exactly as you guys are describing and the Traction Control Light comes on with the active brake assist function inoperative and a bunch of other messages comes on as well. I have managed to catch two instances of this happening live on my go pro as well. It really is extremely scary and it puts you in an extremely dangerous situation on the highway (this also exclusively happens on the highway, never in the city)

I would really appreciate some feedback on this and how to handle it. For those who had this problem, can you confirm this was resolved?
Hey,

Yes it was completely fixed when I took it in.

This may seem like a random question but bear with me.

Is it raining or wet when you get this error?
Old 11-27-2017, 07:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by phetherweyt
Hey,

Yes it was completely fixed when I took it in.

This may seem like a random question but bear with me.

Is it raining or wet when you get this error?

I know exactly what you are trying to ask. Yes this is completely weather related. It does not happen in a warm and sunny day no matter how much I push the car or how much I try. Only happens in very cold weather/ rain when there is no car infront of me and I am getting a steady flow of fresh cold/wet air.
Also I have to really hammer the engine to trigger it.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:00 AM

W205 C200 2015
Originally Posted by munis
I know exactly what you are trying to ask. Yes this is completely weather related. It does not happen in a warm and sunny day no matter how much I push the car or how much I try. Only happens in very cold weather/ rain when there is no car infront of me and I am getting a steady flow of fresh cold/wet air.
Also I have to really hammer the engine to trigger it.
It must be a short then. Mine usually happened when I went over a bump and especially when it was raining or when the roads were wet i.e. after heavy rain.

I'm assuming that when you hammer it, water drops / spray short the wiring. I think the fact that a car is in front or not is somewhat relevant as it may or may not be listening or actively attempting to deactivate the sensor while it is engaged i.e. being used.

Contact Mercedes via the SOS button if it happens again. When I did that, they gave me an option of a courtesy car until they resolve the issue or pay for the cab ride home. You need to get the corporate office involved.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:51 AM

1999 E320, 2001 ML320
I think MB has a beeg problem... I was riding in a t

Broken down just purchased 2000 S10 Blazer in New Orleans
I was riding in this tow truck, and the driver said he regularly picks up BMW's and Cadillacs that just stop running, he didn't mention MB...

Last edited by CORVAIRWILD; 01-21-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:44 AM

how solve it

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: collision assist inoperative