C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Diesel c220 owners. Shifting to 7th (7g-tronic)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 02:09 AM
zsh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C 220 CDI
Diesel c220 owners. Shifting to 7th (7g-tronic)

Hi,

I think car shifts way to late to highest gear (7).
In my previous w212 e-class 7-g (same engine) it would shift to 7th already around 70 km/h.
Also with the loaner A-class (petrol) i had, it would shift to 5th at, and i **** you not, 48 km/h

In this one, sometimes it wont shift to 7th until i am up at 100km/h (at 70,80 and sometimes 90 it stays in 6h). Tested in Comfort and Eco mode, same behaviour.

As there are bunch of roads here which are 70,80,90 it basically rarely utilizes the 7th gear.

Anyone else experienced this?
Old 09-10-2015, 02:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C220 AMG Line Bluetech.
Which Agility mode do you use mainly? Sport and, more notably, Sport+ increase the Rev count before upshift happens.

I think this car is slightly higher geared than the previous model (ie the rear wheels turn faster for each RPM) in order to improve fuel consumption a little - hence the car would not feel the need to upshift at any particular speed that you are making reference to. But my previous C220 was a manual so I cannot be 100% as my experience of Autos was fairly limited in that model.

Given the different gear ratios that each model runs, you cannot draw any conclusion as to what gear an A Class, or any other car, is in at 70 versus your W205.

In my experience, I do find that around the country lanes, my car does tend to run 5th and 6th gears - but that is what I would expect - for the speed/conditions.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:04 AM
zsh

2015 C 220 CDI
Originally Posted by jolt8631
Which Agility mode do you use mainly? Sport and, more notably, Sport+ increase the Rev count before upshift happens.

I think this car is slightly higher geared than the previous model (ie the rear wheels turn faster for each RPM) in order to improve fuel consumption a little - hence the car would not feel the need to upshift at any particular speed that you are making reference to. But my previous C220 was a manual so I cannot be 100% as my experience of Autos was fairly limited in that model.

Given the different gear ratios that each model runs, you cannot draw any conclusion as to what gear an A Class, or any other car, is in at 70 versus your W205.

In my experience, I do find that around the country lanes, my car does tend to run 5th and 6th gears - but that is what I would expect - for the speed/conditions.
Eco and Comfort only. Never use sport as its imho pretty much useless on diesel cars....why would I want to rev high on a diesel where power isn't available anyway :p

Just wanted to compare with other owners if its same on their cars = normal or if its worth taking it up with the dealer for some SW update
Old 09-12-2015, 05:18 AM
RTX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015, W205, C 220 BlueTEC AMG Line
If you can manually up-shift to nth, then it can be selected automatically.
The behavior should match the use cruise control.
You need to drive constantly at a certain speed average so that the on-board computer realizes that, and pick the appropriate gear accordingly.
My car adjusts quickly to the changes in various driving styles.
I drive mostly in C. S+ & I (sporty) if I want to push it a bit. At the speeds you're mentioning, my car would go to 7th before 100 (in C mode when accelerating progressively, not aggressively). 6th gear is retained as long as you keep pushing hard (I don't go over 120 km/h normally) - speed limit on highway.
Personally, I think that the gear calibration is very good in the C class.
No complaints here. Try to go easy on the throttle.
Are you on 220 BlueTec Edition or normal Diesel?
Old 09-12-2015, 06:13 AM
zsh

2015 C 220 CDI
Originally Posted by RTX
If you can manually up-shift to nth, then it can be selected automatically.
The behavior should match the use cruise control.
You need to drive constantly at a certain speed average so that the on-board computer realizes that, and pick the appropriate gear accordingly.
My car adjusts quickly to the changes in various driving styles.
I drive mostly in C. S+ & I (sporty) if I want to push it a bit. At the speeds you're mentioning, my car would go to 7th before 100 (in C mode when accelerating progressively, not aggressively). 6th gear is retained as long as you keep pushing hard (I don't go over 120 km/h normally) - speed limit on highway.
Personally, I think that the gear calibration is very good in the C class.
No complaints here. Try to go easy on the throttle.
Are you on 220 BlueTec Edition or normal Diesel?

Hi,

I've tried with manual upshift. It switches display from D5 or D6 to M5 or M6, but it won't upshift. Last time I was driving was on slow country roads (speed limit 70-80-90). I never drive like a race driver and I had my kids in the car so it was slow/comfy cruise. Please note that even if I activate cruise control on lets say 70-80 km/h it will stay in D6.
On the highway however (110-120 km/h) it will go to D7.

It's BlueTec with the "extra tank" for the adblue crap