C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C450 vs C400 suspension ride quality?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 10:50 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
W205 C400
C450 vs C400 suspension ride quality?

Anyone know if the suspension on the C450 is cushier on the softest setting than the C400?
Old 09-23-2015, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 726 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
OTE=rakaye47;6564219]Anyone know if the suspension on the C450 is cushier on the softest setting than the C400?[/QUOTE]

Till someone directly test drives the 2 cars back to back you will probably never know.
Comparison reviews of the C class are few and far between. In fact I haven't seen a single comparison review of the c400 anywhere. The only comparison review I have read was between the C300 and the Audi A4. This is true of most reviews nowadays, you rarely see a magazine or website do a thorough comparison test like they used to.
I can tell you that bags do provide a noticeably more plush ride compared to the regular spring suspension while they are also more sporty on the sport settings.
What many people fail to realize is that bags and magnetic suspensions are 2 completely different animals. Magnetic suspensions replace only the shock absorber the rest of the suspension stays the same. With an air suspension the entire strut is replaced there are no springs, plus the air suspension is semiactive which means it can vary the downward stroke of the wheel.
A magnetic suspension is a normal spring suspension where the shock absorbers use magnetorheologic fluid. The magnetic fluid varies density depending on an electric current, thus you can regulate the compliance of the shock absorber. No magnetic suspension is active since it can only vary the firmness level. They cannot vary the suspension height of the car since that is determined by the springs.
Performancewise which is better? It all has to do with how the individual parameters are set up.
In theory you can make the air suspension very comfortable since the spring ratio is variable plus the semiactive ability can compensate better for holes in the road.
On the other hand, for sporty driving the magnetic suspension has a predictability advantage since the its overall demeanor is dictated by the springs with the variable dampers providing more or less compliance at the flick of a switch.
My guess is that the C 450 will ride stiffer in comfort mode than the C400 with air bags, however the 450 will be more sporting at the same setting. From what I have read the AMG suspension on sport plus is for track use only since it makes you feel every pebble on the road. With the air suspension Sport plus is noticeably firmer than on comfort but never harsh, however, its not truly track worthy either.
In general I would expect the following: Comfort in the 450 should similar to sport in the 400, sport should be similar to sport plus and sport plus to be a level of firmness and performance not possible on the C400.
Again that level of performance sacrifices the adjustable ride height which I guess in the 450 will be set to the lowest level of the 400. Since I live in a very cold and snowy area of the country, I like the ability to raise the car when plowing through snowy roads.
Again these are only guesses based on suspension engineering, real world results depend on many different variable parameters.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by rakaye47
Anyone know if the suspension on the C450 is cushier on the softest setting than the C400?
Do you have Airmatic? I would expect that an Airmatic-equipped C300/C400 would be softer than a C450 on it's softest damper setting. Probably aren't any back-to-back comparisons out there yet since the C450 is just starting to trickle into dealerships this week.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by rakaye47
I have a 2015 C400. I test drove my car and a 2016 C450 back to back on the exact same roads in comfort and sport plus modes. In comfort mode I could tell no difference essentially. In Sport plus mode there was less body roll, more accurate and direct steering and overall a better more nimble feel with the C450 versus the C400. The exhaust on the C450, brakes, and handling feel were moderately better. Acceleration was minimally better at the seat of the pants without measurement. However, my C400 was broken in and the C450 had 60 miles on it, if that makes a difference I am not sure. Road noise was a bit more with the C450 I presume due to summer performance run flats versus my C400 all seasons. Some, but certainly not all of the handling characteristics could also be accounted for with the tire difference. The transmission also shifted faster and crisper with the C450. Hope that helps.